Unpopular Opinions

Started by The Six, November 11, 2011, 10:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EigenUser

Quote from: North Star on February 15, 2014, 04:15:15 AM
Seinfeld is far from great.
>:D

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 15, 2014, 06:53:07 AM
I never cared much for Cheers, so we're all different. My favorite sitcoms are Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, Frasier, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Wings, and Becker.

"Seinfeld" and "Everybody Loves Raymond" are two of my favorite sitcoms.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Mirror Image

Quote from: EigenUser on February 20, 2014, 07:42:51 PM

"Seinfeld" and "Everybody Loves Raymond" are two of my favorite sitcoms.

A man of fine tastes. ;) But, seriously, these two sitcoms always leave me wanting more. I would say, though, that my favorite sitcom is probably Frasier for the simple reason that I think the character development and those moments of seriousness were some of the best in any sitcom I've seen. I have watched Seasons 1-11 all the through twice already and I plan on doing it again whenever I get the chance.

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 20, 2014, 07:46:23 PM
A man of fine tastes. ;) But, seriously, these two sitcoms always leave me wanting more. I would say, though, that my favorite sitcom is probably Frasier for the simple reason that I think the character development and those moments of seriousness were some of the best in any sitcom I've seen. I have watched Seasons 1-11 all the through twice already and I plan on doing it again whenever I get the chance.

Though I haven't watched it nearly as much as you,  I agree with you about why Frasier was such a good show.  Raymond had a good number of those moments, too.  I never did like Seinfeld--it seemed to be too self-referential (as in I always expect one or more of the characters to turn to the audience and say "look how funny we are over such a trivial and tedious thing!".

PaulSC

Quote from: Ken B on February 20, 2014, 05:12:21 PM
Schubert's Trout quintet is lousy.

Shostakovich's preludes and fugues are his best music.
I'm with you on both of these opinions!
Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

Pat B

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 15, 2014, 06:53:07 AM
I never cared much for Cheers, so we're all different. My favorite sitcoms are Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, Frasier, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Wings, and Becker.

Interesting that 3 of your 6 favorites have strong connections to Cheers. You might also like Taxi and The Tortellis. ;)

ritter

Quote from: Ken B on February 20, 2014, 05:12:21 PM
Shostakovich's preludes and fugues are his best music.
Fully agree on this one...moreover, I'd say Opus 87 is one of only a handful of compositions by DSCH that can actually be called "good"... ::)

kishnevi

Quote from: ritter on February 21, 2014, 10:57:10 AM
Fully agree on this one...moreover, I'd say Opus 87 is one of only a handful of compositions by DSCH that can actually be called "good"... ::)

Quite correct.  There is a large percentage of his work which must be called "great" and not merely "good".   :D

ritter

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 21, 2014, 11:11:49 AM
Quite correct.  There is a large percentage of his work which must be called "great" and not merely "good".   :D
;D ;D ;D ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 21, 2014, 09:53:13 AM
Though I haven't watched it nearly as much as you,  I agree with you about why Frasier was such a good show.  Raymond had a good number of those moments, too.  I never did like Seinfeld--it seemed to be too self-referential (as in I always expect one or more of the characters to turn to the audience and say "look how funny we are over such a trivial and tedious thing!".

Seinfeld has plenty of people who genuinely just dislike the show. I, however, thought it was brilliant and I love Curb Your Enthusiasm as well, but I just like Larry David in general anyway. He's such an asshole, but he's a funny asshole. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pat B on February 21, 2014, 10:46:45 AM
Interesting that 3 of your 6 favorites have strong connections to Cheers. You might also like Taxi and The Tortellis. ;)

I just didn't care much for the characters of Cheers. I didn't even think much of Frasier Crane until he was taken out of that stinking bar and thrown into Seattle. ;D

Ken B

Quote from: ritter link=topic=19564.msg778474#http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CSHCJIO/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 date=1393012630
Careful! That guy used to be a favourite of John's.
>:D >:D >:D

amw

Quote from: PaulSC on February 21, 2014, 10:07:06 AM
I'm with you on both of these opinions!
Quote from: ritter on February 21, 2014, 10:57:10 AM
Fully agree on this one...
Careful now, this isn't the popular opinions thread... :o

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on February 21, 2014, 06:33:41 PM
Careful! That guy used to be a favourite of John's.
>:D >:D >:D

He's a still an absolute favorite and I'll fight with anyone who makes fun of him! ;) ;D Leave my Shosty alone people!!!!

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 21, 2014, 07:23:26 PM
He's a still an absolute favorite and I'll fight with anyone who makes fun of him! ;) ;D Leave my Shosty alone people!!!!
I have a terrific Shosty joke, but it requires sound effects.

The only other good music joke I know is this.

A man walks into a bar and sits at the counter.
"Give me an Elgar."
"What's an elgar?"
"Brahms and water."

Pat B

North Star

Quote from: Ken B on February 21, 2014, 07:50:41 PM
I have a terrific Shosty joke, but it requires sound effects.

The only other good music joke I know is this.

A man walks into a bar and sits at the counter.
"Give me an Elgar."
"What's an elgar?"
"Brahms and water."

Well, Sibelius would be just the water, of course...
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: North Star on February 22, 2014, 01:41:25 AM
Ha! That's what he said about himself! Nicely played North Star.

jochanaan

Quote from: North Star on February 22, 2014, 01:41:25 AM
Mostly of the frozen type, but over a volcanic hot spring... ;D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Jo498

When I browsed through this thread a few weeks ago someone had posted a link to an older article by some contemporary british composer (whose name I forgot) that was very critical about Shostakovich. I seem to be unable to find it without going through 50 pages of thread. Does anyone remember the link or name of the composer?

EDIT: Found it, it's amw's reply #913. the comment linked is by Robin Holloway dating from 2000.
http://archive.spectator.co.uk/article/26th-august-2000/41/music
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Ken B

In Scotland they lowered the voting age to 16 from 18. The drinking age is 18.
Better would have been to lower the drinking age and raise the voting age.