Dvorak's Cello Concerto

Started by rubio, March 12, 2008, 01:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Daverz on March 05, 2017, 07:47:41 PM
The last one I had really enjoyed was Angelica May, a Rostropovich pupil.  Her Martinu is also great.

[asin]B000003571[/asin]

+1 for May/Neumann (and her Martinu, too). May is more on the lyrical side than many but as (perhaps) dark horses go she's aces.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Brian

amw, Radoslaw Szulc is the concertmaster for the Bavarian Radio SO and has quite a nice sideline as an accompanist on concerto recordings; I love his Mozart concertos with Frank Peter Zimmermann. Listening to the Ferrández recording now.

amw

Quote from: Ubiquitous on March 06, 2017, 03:02:30 AM
Maria Kliegel, Heinrich Schiff and Raphael Wallfisch respectively.
Huh, I was going to guess Schiff and Ma for 2 & 3.

I listened to the entire Wallfisch recording, which raised my opinion of his artistry significantly, and which is enjoyable in the heroic extraverted tradition. Schiff's recording is honestly more to my taste though, reminding me of Queyras (and their performances of that long F# are also similar, so, yeah >.>) in its adherence to the other, elegiac tradition of readings in this piece. Kliegel I actually have heard before and guess just didn't recognise.

OrchestralNut

I'm listening to the Maria Kliegel/Halasz recording for the first time (as I run through the Naxos complete Dvorak published orchestral works box set), and I must say I am preferring this version to the other version I have of the Cello Concerto in my collection (Rostropovich/Karajan).

SonicMan46

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 22, 2021, 10:07:04 AM
I'm listening to the Maria Kliegel/Halasz recording for the first time (as I run through the Naxos complete Dvorak published orchestral works box set), and I must say I am preferring this version to the other version I have of the Cello Concerto in my collection (Rostropovich/Karajan).

Hi Ray - boy, I've been collecting and culling the Dvorak & Elgar Cello Concertos for years - for Dvorak I also have and enjoy the Kliegel performance (reviews attached for those interested); my only other recording is w/ Pierre Fournier from the early '60s paired w/ Bruch and Bloch, although that performance w/ Szell is paired w/ many other combinations.  Dave :)

 

Madiel

This thread was an interesting read in conjunction with a couple of other sources, after listening to 1 one of my 2 recordings and really, really disliking it. And I ought not to dislike Dvorak.

The recording in question was Tortelier/Previn. There's a kind of shrillness to the cello, which might well be the fault of the recording rather than the performer. I just found myself uninvolved throughout. Come to think of it even in the orchestral introduction.

After reading I started on my other recording, which is Schiff/Davis. This doesn't seem to make anyone's best of list, but it just seemed so much more listenable. Maybe a touch on the mellow side but that was a better option than everything being shrill.

I shall definitely have to try Queyras - consistently praised and I know I like him in other works.

Funnily enough, Hurwitz' absolutely top pick is Schiff/Previn. I have the right cellist and the right conductor, just not together.  :laugh:
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

I thought I had posted some comments somewhere but cannot find it either here or in the German language fora I post in. In winter 2020 or so I compared the handful of recordings I have and my favorites were Fournier/Szell and Perenyi/Fischer. I didn't strongly dislike any but Fournier/Scherchen live is obviously in substandard sound (and that italian/swiss orchestra no Berlin Philharmonic) and I found the famous Starker/Dorati rather cold. I also didn't like the Queyras as much as I remembered (kept this more for the trio "filler").
The Perenyi might be hard to find, especially as the more desirable coupling with Hindemith is on a cheapo laserlight (the original hungaroton has the aboninable Rococo variations as coupling).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

LKB

It's wonderful to listen to, and wonderful to play as an oboist in the orchestra.

An interesting bit of trivia...

The beginning of the second movement starts with the first oboe tacet for six bars, while the second oboe has- surprise!- a little solo for two beats. And a minute or so later, the same thing happens with different music for the second.

Not many works feature Oboe 2 solos.

But the principal oboe has a few solos which are quite lovely, longer, technically easy and memorable. So, a win-win for the oboes.  8)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on July 06, 2022, 03:27:18 AM
This thread was an interesting read in conjunction with a couple of other sources, after listening to 1 one of my 2 recordings and really, really disliking it. And I ought not to dislike Dvorak.

The recording in question was Tortelier/Previn. There's a kind of shrillness to the cello, which might well be the fault of the recording rather than the performer. I just found myself uninvolved throughout. Come to think of it even in the orchestral introduction.

After reading I started on my other recording, which is Schiff/Davis. This doesn't seem to make anyone's best of list, but it just seemed so much more listenable. Maybe a touch on the mellow side but that was a better option than everything being shrill.

I shall definitely have to try Queyras - consistently praised and I know I like him in other works.

Funnily enough, Hurwitz' absolutely top pick is Schiff/Previn. I have the right cellist and the right conductor, just not together.  :laugh:

I love this one with Rostropovich/Karajan:



The Fournier/Szell is also top-notch (the best I can remember):


VonStupp

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 06, 2022, 10:42:47 AM
The Fournier/Szell is also top-notch (the best I can remember):



You remember well...a favorite!

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."


DavidW

Rose/Ormandy.  Never heard anyone better. 

Brian

I have tried Paul Tortelier in a lot of contexts and unfortunately he always seems to have that shrill, unpleasant tone to his playing. The Fauré disc with Eric Heidsieck is ruined by it as well.

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on July 06, 2022, 02:33:16 PM
I have tried Paul Tortelier in a lot of contexts and unfortunately he always seems to have that shrill, unpleasant tone to his playing. The Fauré disc with Eric Heidsieck is ruined by it as well.

Yes, well, I have the entire EMI box of Tortelier. The Fauré is another case of me knowing I like the composer and seeking alternative performances as a result.

The Beethoven sonatas are fine though as far as I remember.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!