Author Topic: Mozart Piano Concerto 24  (Read 7894 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Mozart Piano Concerto 24
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 02:42:04 AM »

Another very "wide awake" , extremely dynamic performance from the orchestra led by van Beinum, I've always enjoyed his intensity in Haydn, I feel like exploring his Mozart more now that I've found this. Long is OK, more than OK in the variations, but it's the orchestra, and the conception (which I bet was van Beinum's)  which makes this interesting for me. 
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2019, 07:40:26 AM »

The more I listen to this concerto the more I realise that the first movement is a challenge to get off the page. The piano music has some nice tunes in it but it also has a lot of what looks like passage work -- how to make it interesting? This is compounded by the fact that in some recordings the orchestral part is rather reticent and uninspired, as if the conductors see their role as one of accompaniment.

Well just as I was thinking that along comes Piotre Andersewszki and it's just a revelation in the first movement! The orchestra is wide awake and is on fire, and Andersewski has a gift for making making the piano writing, spirited and articulate. The result makes you see why Beethoven liked this concerto so much.

I very much appreciate the absence of maudlin romanticism in the slow movement. And the boisterous playful piano playing in the variations.

Sound is better than very good, particularly well balanced between piano and orchestra.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2021, 11:39:53 AM »
Started to enjoy this very old one -- maybe the first recording ever, Casadesus/Eugéne Bigot

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/B3o3JN2EwVY&amp;ab_channel=gullivior" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/B3o3JN2EwVY&amp;ab_channel=gullivior</a>

Klavier

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2021, 07:45:54 AM »

The more I listen to this concerto the more I realise that the first movement is a challenge to get off the page. The piano music has some nice tunes in it but it also has a lot of what looks like passage work -- how to make it interesting? This is compounded by the fact that in some recordings the orchestral part is rather reticent and uninspired, as if the conductors see their role as one of accompaniment.

Well just as I was thinking that along comes Piotre Andersewszki and it's just a revelation in the first movement! The orchestra is wide awake and is on fire, and Andersewski has a gift for making making the piano writing, spirited and articulate. The result makes you see why Beethoven liked this concerto so much.

I very much appreciate the absence of maudlin romanticism in the slow movement. And the boisterous playful piano playing in the variations.

Sound is better than very good, particularly well balanced between piano and orchestra.

I like that one, too. I also enjoy it from these two boxed sets:

(LP--sorry for the poor image)