York Bowen

Started by tjguitar, July 04, 2007, 08:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

I heard Bowen's Symphony No. 1 the other day and was rather unimpressed with what I heard. The music is finally crafted but it failed to really leave me with anything worth noting other than this craftsmanship.

Dundonnell

The Second Symphony is better.

But I am still unconvinced :(

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on July 27, 2011, 04:53:35 AM
The Second Symphony is better.

But I am still unconvinced :(

And why not? Bowen is akin to Chopin, Delius, Rachmaninov, Scriabin, Medtner - poetic souls, with a pronounced feminine side. You like your testosterone (so do I, by the way). You won't find it in Bowen!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Now there's a rolling list of composers to savour ;D :-X

Lethevich

I wasn't too keen on his first symphony, either (I will reserve judgement since Johan seems to like it), but the work on the Dutton disc with Brian and Bush more than redeems the composer's orchestral side for me. Like with Chopin, the piano concertos lack a certain conceptual thrust that I enjoy in, say, Ireland's PC or Bax's Winter Legends, but just like that composer I tend to find something draws me back to the pieces.

Orchestral music is but one segment of a composer's itinerary, however...
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on July 27, 2011, 05:05:57 AM
I wasn't too keen on his first symphony, either (I will reserve judgement since Johan seems to like it), but the work on the Dutton disc with Brian and Bush more than redeems the composer's orchestral side for me. Like with Chopin, the piano concertos lack a certain conceptual thrust that I enjoy in, say, Ireland's PC or Bax's Winter Legends, but just like that composer I tend to find something draws me back to the pieces.

Orchestral music is but one segment of a composer's itinerary, however...

No, I have never heard the First!! So judge all you like... But I am completely entranced by Bowen's Rhapsody on the Dutton. Ravishing!

Quote from: Dundonnell on July 27, 2011, 05:00:42 AM
Now there's a rolling list of composers to savour ;D :-X

:D
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on July 27, 2011, 05:08:12 AM

No, I have never heard the First!! So judge all you like... But I am completely entranced by Bowen's Rhapsody on the Dutton. Ravishing!

Yes....that sums it up, doesn't it ;D    "Ravishing" :D   Not a word I tend to use about music ;) :)

Lethevich

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on July 27, 2011, 05:08:12 AM
No, I have never heard the First!! So judge all you like...

I bothered to Google it for the first time (::)) and it turns out to be a student work, so I should probably base any opinion on the second.

Albion

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on July 27, 2011, 05:08:12 AMNo, I have never heard the First!! So judge all you like... But I am completely entranced by Bowen's Rhapsody on the Dutton. Ravishing!

If you like the Rhapsody for Cello and Orchestra, I would strongly recommend the equally "ravishing" tone-poem Eventide (Op.69, 1922), on another mixed Dutton disc -

Dutton CDLX 7237
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thanks for the recommendation, Albion!

springrite

Of what I have heard so far, the Hough piano music CD is the only one I liked. The rest I never gave a second listen. In fact, I am reluctant to invest more in this composer...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Dundonnell

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on July 27, 2011, 05:27:45 AM
Thanks for the recommendation, Albion!

You know how to get this collection, Johan. Just ask! :D

kishnevi

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on July 24, 2011, 04:18:33 PM
I need to re-discover his piano music, I think. It was the same Hough disc which drew me in (it is phenomonal - who thought composer-pianists in this manner existed this late, save for Rachmaninoff?) but the string sonatas (the Hyperion and Dutton 2CD sets) have been a growing obsession for me recently.

It's strange: I scoffed when I initially read reviews of Bowen's music, read capsule bio, saw his photograph and composition titles. "A would-be Chopin in England? Hah!"

My only Bowen recording is the 2CD set of the sonatas by Danny Driver on Hyperion;  I like it enough that it can only be sheer laziness and my budget that has kept me from getting more of Bowen's music.

Lethevich

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 27, 2011, 07:41:20 AM
My only Bowen recording is the 2CD set of the sonatas by Danny Driver on Hyperion;  I like it enough that it can only be sheer laziness and my budget that has kept me from getting more of Bowen's music.

If you can find it at an acceptable price, this slipcase combination of two recent Dutton releases is wonderful. It offers a bit more of an overview than Hyperion's twofer of complete viola & piano works. A lot of sellers divide it up and sell the CDs seperately because they make more money from it, so watch out.

kishnevi

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on July 27, 2011, 07:50:54 AM
If you can find it at an acceptable price, this slipcase combination of two recent Dutton releases is wonderful. It offers a bit more of an overview than Hyperion's twofer of complete viola & piano works. A lot of sellers divide it up and sell the CDs seperately because they make more money from it, so watch out.

Well, $19.99 plus s/h seemed acceptable for the only copy on Amazon,  so I ordered it.  And now I have to wait 2 1/2 weeks or more since it's from the UK.  Hopefully this vendor doesn't use the same tramp steamer Zoverstocks used.

Lethevich

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 27, 2011, 08:40:15 PM
Well, $19.99 plus s/h seemed acceptable for the only copy on Amazon,  so I ordered it.  And now I have to wait 2 1/2 weeks or more since it's from the UK.  Hopefully this vendor doesn't use the same tramp steamer Zoverstocks used.

Ah, I'm used to GMGers always holding out for less ;D The reason I didn't suggest that particular sale is because Dutton's own site was selling the twofer for a little under £8 - although given exchange rates and shipping charges, I suppose it might not have been much better. I hope you like it!

kishnevi

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on July 28, 2011, 05:57:15 AM
Ah, I'm used to GMGers always holding out for less ;D The reason I didn't suggest that particular sale is because Dutton's own site was selling the twofer for a little under £8 - although given exchange rates and shipping charges, I suppose it might not have been much better. I hope you like it!

$11.50 US per CD fits within my "cheap enough" parameters.  Below a certain price I don't bother to look for alternatives.  (And if I ordered from Dutton,  I'd get an extra 3% foreign transaction fee, on top of shipping and handling, thanks to my credit card.) 

And when I see only one new copy left on Amazon, my "get it before someone else does" mode kicks in.  So this was an easy decision.

cilgwyn

http://www.mediafire.com/?gwsteelf843vw#

I'm not an admirer myself,I admit. But here,if anyone is interested,is a link to a download of the long deleted 1994 3D French cd of Bowen's 24 Preludes performed by Marie-Catherine Girod. This preceded the Hough Hyperion cd which everyone regards as precipitating the current Bowen renaissance. It won't be up for long,so if you want it click on the link.
The French got there first!

J.Z. Herrenberg

I'm interested! I like Bowen's piano music. Ta very much!

cilgwyn

My pleasure. The pianist looks rather nice in the photo,incidentally. Oooh la la!
I might try and upload her later!!!!