Author Topic: York Bowen  (Read 13380 times)

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • "A vér az élet."
Re: York Bowen
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2017, 08:29:10 PM »
Listening to the Violin Concerto Op.33 today at work, I was struck by how the motif's sounded like Brahms.  The development is not like that of Brahms, of course.

BOWEN-McAslan, Handley, BBC Concert Orchestra

Your barricades lie broken ... your enemies lord.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2018, 06:09:03 PM »
I have just been utterly blown away by Bowen's Viola Concerto! Much as I love the Walton, the Bowen has now surpassed it as my favorite viola concerto (granted, I don't know that many) and I'm baffled that it's not played much more often, considering the paucity of the viola repertoire. It's a sweeping, dramatic work with boundless energy, great tunes, and masterful writing for both soloist and orchestra. It's just such great fun! I can't imagine a more thrilling performance than that by Lawrence Power and the BBC Scottish SO under Martyn Brabbins:

I know some fellow members with whom I generally share similar tastes (vandermolen, Mirror Image, cilgwyn, Dundonnell) aren't too enthusiastic about Bowen's music, but his Viola Concerto, along with his Piano Trio, have proven to be great discoveries. I would hardly claim that Bowen is a "great" composer, but his music is really enjoyable for me!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 06:11:58 PM by kyjo »
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2018, 10:10:02 PM »
I have just been utterly blown away by Bowen's Viola Concerto! Much as I love the Walton, the Bowen has now surpassed it as my favorite viola concerto (granted, I don't know that many) and I'm baffled that it's not played much more often, considering the paucity of the viola repertoire. It's a sweeping, dramatic work with boundless energy, great tunes, and masterful writing for both soloist and orchestra. It's just such great fun! I can't imagine a more thrilling performance than that by Lawrence Power and the BBC Scottish SO under Martyn Brabbins:

I know some fellow members with whom I generally share similar tastes (vandermolen, Mirror Image, cilgwyn, Dundonnell) aren't too enthusiastic about Bowen's music, but his Viola Concerto, along with his Piano Trio, have proven to be great discoveries. I would hardly claim that Bowen is a "great" composer, but his music is really enjoyable for me!

Clearly I need to listen to this work again. Thanks for the recommendation Kyle. I have the version on ASV.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 10:12:28 PM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2018, 06:26:28 AM »
Clearly I need to listen to this work again. Thanks for the recommendation Kyle. I have the version on ASV.

No problem, Jeffrey. I would think that you’d like it, since I do, but we shall see! ;D
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SymphonicAddict

« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2018, 09:37:00 AM »
I've listened to all the concertos. The piano concertos 1-3 are good, the 4th piano concerto is so-so (more modern and rather Rachmaninovian), the violin and viola concertos are not that memorable, the Horn concerto is also good. I prefer the 2nd symphony in general regarding his works and his chamber music.