Hogan's Home

Started by madaboutmahler, December 22, 2011, 01:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Copeland

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 22, 2012, 06:57:28 PM
How do you get that 48 hour ticket?

It was an invite by email to complete a quick questionaire.  I don't know how you can get it, but you could have a scout around...

http://www.digitalconcerthall.com/

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Scots John on February 22, 2012, 06:44:15 PM
Daniel!  I just got the 48 hour ticket for the Digital Concert Hall too!  I'll let you know what I've watched.   :D

Hope we can all hear the Violin Sonata on completion!

That's great, John! Hope you are enjoying it as much as I am! So which concerts did you watch? Yesterday I only had time for the recent Sokhiev concert of Roussel and Rachmaninov which was very fine indeed. I believe I have another day of access so I look forward to that.

Thank you - hopefully you'll be able to hear the live performance Scarlet and I give! :) You'll be amazed by her I'm sure... :)

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 22, 2012, 06:57:28 PM
How do you get that 48 hour ticket?

John C is right. You only get the questionaire sent to you if you are a subscriber or have a DCH account I think. Well worth getting, the actual account and subscription are both free.
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

John Copeland

Watched a documentary about the BPO during WWII called The Reichorchester.  Brilliant and touching.  Learned a lot.  I will probably do the BPO in Asia next, then a live concert or two... :D

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Scots John on February 23, 2012, 08:54:57 AM
Watched a documentary about the BPO during WWII called The Reichorchester.  Brilliant and touching.  Learned a lot.  I will probably do the BPO in Asia next, then a live concert or two... :D

Great! Those certainly sound interesting!

Right now for me, I am listening to Nelson's performance of Ein Heldenleben on the concert hall which is absolutely superb.
— Ludwig van Beethoven

John Copeland

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 23, 2012, 08:56:29 AM
Great! Those certainly sound interesting!

Right now for me, I am listening to Nelson's performance of Ein Heldenleben on the concert hall which is absolutely superb.

Yes, I think that will be my first actual concert to watch... :D

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Scots John on February 23, 2012, 09:04:06 AM
Yes, I think that will be my first actual concert to watch... :D

It's great, John. Coming closer to the end now, I think I can say it's one of the best Heldenleben's I have ever heard.... makes me really desperate to get Nelsons' CBSO recording of it. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Finished the second movement of the violin sonata today! So very pleased with it - the movement as an energetic allegro that soon arrives at a really romantic, lyrical expressive slow section, before a quick recapitulation of the allegro and then the romantic section returns to finish the movement. Really is very very romantic, no wonder....

Cannot wait to play it with Scarlet! :) :) Going to be so great! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

John Copeland

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 23, 2012, 02:00:50 PM
Finished the second movement of the violin sonata today! So very pleased with it - the movement as an energetic allegro that soon arrives at a really romantic, lyrical expressive slow section, before a quick recapitulation of the allegro and then the romantic section returns to finish the movement. Really is very very romantic, no wonder....
Cannot wait to play it with Scarlet! :) :) Going to be so great! :)

There is a clutch of us here who are very interested to hear this!  Remember to get the tape recorder out...oh no, hang on, this is 2012, no such thing...get the Digital recoding device out!  Well Daniel, as we were both equally excited to freely access the BPO Digital Concert Hall for 48 hours, and I said I would tell you what I listened to, and in case you miss it on the WAYLT thread, here's what I watched and listened to.  You will be horrified to note that there is no Mahler on my list.  This is because I have enough Mahler symphonies live, recorded and on AV that I had to use the 48 hours for something different.  For people and music, I stand by "Familiarity breeds contempt and absence makes the heart grow fonder" - so no Mahler in the 48 hours.  Did this lot instead:

Documentaries:
1 on Carlos Klieber
1 on Claudio Abbado
1 on the BPO in WWII
1 on the BPO trip to Asia

Concerts:
Beethoven 9 - Abbado
Bruckner 6 - Blomstedt
Sibelius 5,6,7 - Rattle
Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique - Rattle
Strauss Ein Heldenleben - Nelsons
Strauss Alpine Symphony - Bychkov
Shostoakovich 14 - N. Jarvi
Bartok Divertimento for String Orchestra - Harding
Beethoven Piano Concerto 2 - Abbado, Pletnev
Tchaikovsky Francesca di Rimini - N. Jarvi
Glanert (new to me) Theatrum Bestiarum - Bychkov
Britten Young persons guide to the Orchestra - Rattle
Tchaikovsky - Waltz of the Flowers (Encore)  N. Jarvi

Interviews
Neeme Jarvi yapping
Guy Braunstein and Bychkov yapping
Bruckner 6 Introduction - Blomstedt (in German)

Quite an intensive 48 hours.  Most fulfulling were (in no order):

The documentaries, the one on Keiber and the one on the BPO during WWII
Strauss Ein Heldenleben - Nelsons
Strauss Alpine Symphony - Bychkov
Tchaikovsky Francesca di Rimini - N. Jarvi
Glanert (new to me) Theatrum Bestiarum - Bychkov

madaboutmahler

Wow, John! :O That's certainly a lot! I only managed to fit in around 5 hours of watching!

Update: Now with the first and second movements of the violin sonata complete, I intend to start the last movement, 'Romance', tommorow. The sonata should be finished by next week! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

I am pleased to report that the violin sonata is now finished! I finished the piece this evening at around 19.00 after around half a month of work on it. Worked so quickly due to the mass inspiration I have gained from the dedicatee! :) The sonata is in three movements and has a duration of around 20 minutes.
The movements are:
1. Lento - Andante (7 minutes)
2. Lento (5 minutes)
3. Allegro - Romance (Andante). Epilogue. (8 minutes)
The first two movements present a dark feeling, and of stillness, especially in the second movement. These negative feelings are resolved by the finale though with it's strong sense of romance, beauty and optimism. Cannot wait to play it with Scarlet now! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

I've just read the news on facebook; that's wonderful Daniel, I can't wait to listen to it! ;D
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on February 26, 2012, 10:26:26 AM
I've just read the news on facebook; that's wonderful Daniel, I can't wait to listen to it! ;D

Thank you Ilaria! :) I am really very pleased with it, and am really excited about playing it with Scarlet! :) :) :) :) She wants to start rehearsing it together this Wednesday, I can't wait! :) :) :) :) She is the perfect violinist for this sonata!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 26, 2012, 10:40:29 AM
Thank you Ilaria! :) I am really very pleased with it, and am really excited about playing it with Scarlet! :) :) :) :) She wants to start rehearsing it together this Wednesday, I can't wait! :) :) :) :) She is the perfect violinist for this sonata!

She must be incredibly talented if you're so enthusiastic, I would like to listen to her playing! Anyway I'm pleased, these are very good news; quoting Maestro Franz Liszt, there's nothing better for a composer than having a great interpreter playing his works. ;)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on February 26, 2012, 10:48:23 AM
She must be incredibly talented if you're so enthusiastic, I would like to listen to her playing! Anyway I'm pleased, these are very good news; quoting Maestro Franz Liszt, there's nothing better for a composer than having a great interpreter playing his works. ;)

She certainly certainly is! Talented and many other amazing things! :) Hopefully we'll be able to record the sonata together some point, so I'll make sure that gets posted here on GMG and facebook etc. So far, we have been playing Elgar, Beethoven and Rimsky Korsakov together. :)Thank you again Ilaria! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 26, 2012, 10:53:12 AM
She certainly certainly is! Talented and many other amazing things! :) Hopefully we'll be able to record the sonata together some point, so I'll make sure that gets posted here on GMG and facebook etc. So far, we have been playing Elgar, Beethoven and Rimsky Korsakov together. :)Thank you again Ilaria! :)

My pleasure! :)

Karl Henning

Good on ya! (Can we see a score?)

: )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on February 27, 2012, 04:59:26 AM
Good on ya! (Can we see a score?)

: )

Thanks, Karl! :)

The score - yes, shall upload it very soon. I'm afraid it's an absolute mess at the moment though! First rehearsal with Scarlet for the sonata on Wednesday so I better get it tidied up by then... can't wait to present it to her! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Rule N° 1: Music must be completely in order for the first rehearsal : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on February 27, 2012, 08:56:20 AM
Rule N° 1: Music must be completely in order for the first rehearsal : )

It certainly must, as I found out when rehearsing with the Misbourne Symphony Orchestra! So this means that I have two evenings to get the score of the sonata ready.... I better get started!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

The score of the violin sonata is now all nice and tidy and printed off ready for my rehearsal with Scarlet tommorow! :) :) Can't wait, will be wonderful to see her again of course and to start playing the sonata together. Rehearsing with her is always a highlight of my week, especially when it's my own music which is for her! :)

So tommorow is a great day! Rehearsal with Scarlet, school orchestra rehearsal, and I am recieving two trophies at the Chesham Arts Festival Prizegiving ceremony, in which I will also perform the Chopin C Minor nocturne! :)

Very happy! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven