Hogan's Home

Started by madaboutmahler, December 22, 2011, 01:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Hello,

Please do excuse the not so exciting thread name....

Composing is a passion of mine and it is my ambition to be a composer, as well as a conductor. My first composition attempts were when I was around 11 years old, but I only started passionately composing around two years later, when I composed a variety of works including a cello concerto, an orchestral suite depicting the earth, some piano etudes which were performed by an excellent Japanese pianist and eventually a symphony.
I regard 2011 to have been the most important year for me as a composer so far. It started off by writing an orchestral tone poem based on Robert Browning's poem 'Porphyria's Lover', and then, I recieved my first commission which was from the Misbourne Symphony Orchestra to write a piece for their 50th anniversary season. I wrote for them my 'Rhapsody for Orchestra' which was premiered by the orchestra in the first concert of the season in November. It was such an amazing experience, the first time I had ever heard an orchestra perform my works in concert... and recieving the applause and cheering from the audience was so special!
Also, earlier in the year, I had auditioned to the Junior Department of the Royal Academy of Music, London, to study composition and piano. I was accepted and started in September. I am really enjoying my time there, my teacher is Matthew Taylor, who some fans of Robert Simpson may have heard of!

Before, my style had been very romantic, but now, in my most recent work called 'Seascapes' for orchestra, I think I have developed a more original, distinct style which is more impressionist.

On this thread, I shall post updates on my compositions for anyone who is interested. I would love your opinions as I value feedback very much!
Here are some links to my work - all are computer sounds I'm afraid. Some live performances, including the premiere of the 'Rhapsody for Orchestra' shall be uploaded soon.

'Seascapes' - an orchestral depiction of the sea. 11 minutes - composed between October and December 2011:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCdahOPmOAA

'Rhapsody for Orchestra' - dedicated to Richard Jacklin and the Misbourne Symphony Orchestra. Composed between April and June 2011, premiered on 12th November.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeqzA2d6GoE&feature=related

'Romance for Piano' - a solo piano depiction of love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3fTOhlrmhI&feature=related

'Porphyria' - after the poem 'Porphyria's Lover' by Robert Browning. for large orchestra.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htPirbptKt4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Scherzando for Orchestra - dedicated to Mahler (originally from 'Symphony no.1')
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkINjePzYNE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Will post more soon! :)

My new projects will include:
A 'reverie' for piano 8-hand - for my chamber group at the Royal Academy
A set of lieder
Violin duets for myself and a excellent violinist friend at school to play, she is only 12 and is already capable of many virtuosic solo concerto parts!
'Nocturnes' for wordless choir and chamber orchestra.

Thank you!
Best Wishes,
Daniel Hogan
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

petrarch

Congrats! Off to a great start there and I am sure there's a lot of good stuff waiting to pour out of you onto paper.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Mirror Image

Daniel, I just listened to your Seascapes and I'm very impressed with it! I like the direction you're going with your music. Congrats on all of your compositions! I look forward to hearing your music recorded by the London Symphony Orchestra one day. 8)

ibanezmonster

Just listened to Seascapes.
Very nice! I really enjoyed it.  8) The use of glissandi was also interesting in that context (though in *Sibelius the glissandi sound might not always be as accurate as it should be). I'm assuming the glissandi somehow represented the up-and-down waves of the sea?

*it was Sibelius that you use, right?

I don't know if you showcase your scores to the public or not, but just in case you do, I would be interested in reading them...

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 22, 2011, 01:32:03 PM'Nocturnes' for wordless choir and chamber orchestra.

I will be interested in hearing this one, Daniel.

madaboutmahler

Thank you for your responses and kind comments!

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 22, 2011, 06:15:23 PM
Daniel, I just listened to your Seascapes and I'm very impressed with it! I like the direction you're going with your music. Congrats on all of your compositions! I look forward to hearing your music recorded by the London Symphony Orchestra one day. 8)

Thanks John! I am glad you enjoyed Seascapes! Hopefully one day for the LSO! ;)

Quote from: Greg on December 22, 2011, 06:56:29 PM
Just listened to Seascapes.
Very nice! I really enjoyed it.  8) The use of glissandi was also interesting in that context (though in *Sibelius the glissandi sound might not always be as accurate as it should be). I'm assuming the glissandi somehow represented the up-and-down waves of the sea?

*it was Sibelius that you use, right?

I don't know if you showcase your scores to the public or not, but just in case you do, I would be interested in reading them...

Thanks Greg! Yes,the sounds are Sibelius so the glissandi are not the most realistic. I also noticed that at the beggining of a new gliss, Sibelius inserts a tapping sound like a tambourine.... which is not very helpful... Yes, the glissandi represent the up-and-down motion of the waves.
Concerning scores, I might try and upload some to the internet soon, thank you for your interest!

— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 22, 2011, 07:09:33 PM
I will be interested in hearing this one, Daniel.

Thank you John, I am really excited about composing this one!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Florestan

Great job, Daniel ! keep going !

I especially enjoyed the Romance for Piano.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Florestan on December 23, 2011, 03:08:06 AM
Great job, Daniel ! keep going !

I especially enjoyed the Romance for Piano.

Thank you!
Ah, the Romance for Piano... brings back memories! The pianist Keiko Nishizu in Japan (who also performed my Etudes) is going to be posting a performance of the Romance soon. I shall post it here in this thread once she has uploaded it. :)
Thank you again!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 22, 2011, 01:32:03 PM
. . . and then, I recieved my first commission which was from the Misbourne Symphony Orchestra to write a piece for their 50th anniversary season. I wrote for them my 'Rhapsody for Orchestra' which was premiered by the orchestra in the first concert of the season in November. It was such an amazing experience, the first time I had ever heard an orchestra perform my works in concert... and recieving the applause and cheering from the audience was so special!

Well, that was an especial coup; bravo, Daniel!

I look forward to checking out these samples of your work! Thanks for getting your thread a-going.

(The title, though, does make me think Hogan's Heroes, FWIW
; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on December 23, 2011, 04:31:47 AM
Well, that was an especial coup; bravo, Daniel!

I look forward to checking out these samples of your work! Thanks for getting your thread a-going.

(The title, though, does make me think Hogan's Heroes, FWIW
; )

Thank you Karl for joining us here! :)
I look forward to hearing what you think of my works.

haha - I'll keep that other title in mind for possible name-change in the future. :D

Haven't been looking at the Headquarters for a while, Karl, better go and get an update now. :D
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

I hope I'll be able to play some of your piano works in future too, it would be very nice!

I'm listening to Seascapes just now: it sounds beautiful (the beginning is very melodious and evocative, I love the atmosphere the orchestration creates), but I'll be able to judge it better at the end ;)
I would prefer not to risk passing judgement, but I think this could be definitely one of your best compositions! ;D
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on December 23, 2011, 08:40:52 AM
I hope I'll be able to play some of your piano works in future too, it would be very nice!

I'm listening to Seascapes just now: it sounds beautiful (the beginning is very melodious and evocative, I love the atmosphere the orchestration creates), but I'll be able to judge it better at the end ;)
I would prefer not to risk passing judgement, but I think this could be definitely one of your best compositions! ;D

Hello Ilaria! :) Thank you for joining the thread! :)
Well, it would be wonderful if you wanted to play some of my piano works! Please do let me know if you do! I could compose something especially for you if you want! :)

Thank you for the kind words about Seascapes! Did you enjoy the rest of it?
Have a wonderful evening and Christmas, Ilaria!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Just seen your youtube comment, Ilaria, thank you for your kind words! I hope you have a wonderful evening! And I hope my Christmas card arrives to you as soon as possible! ;)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 23, 2011, 10:47:24 AM
Just seen your youtube comment, Ilaria, thank you for your kind words! I hope you have a wonderful evening! And I hope my Christmas card arrives to you as soon as possible! ;)

My pleasure; as I wrote on Youtube, I extremely enjoyed the work, it's very beautiful, hat off! ;)
The Christmas card has not arrived yet, can't wait to receive it; I hope mine arrives as soon as possible as well!
Have a nice evening and Christmas too :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on December 23, 2011, 12:07:28 PM
My pleasure; as I wrote on Youtube, I extremely enjoyed the work, it's very beautiful, hat off! ;)
The Christmas card has not arrived yet, can't wait to receive it; I hope mine arrives as soon as possible as well!
Have a nice evening and Christmas too :)
Thank you so much Ilaria, I am so glad that you enjoyed it! :)

Yes, well, I hope it arrives tommorow so that it is in time for Christmas! If not, it can be a 'Happy New Year' card. ;D
Thank you Ilaria! Best Wishes!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 23, 2011, 01:10:03 PM
Thank you so much Ilaria, I am so glad that you enjoyed it! :)

Yes, well, I hope it arrives tommorow so that it is in time for Christmas! If not, it can be a 'Happy New Year' card. ;D
Thank you Ilaria! Best Wishes!

It was a pleasure, there's nothing better than listening to good music :)

Of course, don't worry! The thought was extremely kind, I will be happy to receive it in any case! :D Mine cointains a little musical quote, but I'm not sure you will catch it..... ;)
Thank you too Daniel! All the best!

vandermolen

Count me as a fan of 'Seascape' too - loved the 'Tapiola-like' section but done with great originality - had me gripped throughout
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on December 23, 2011, 01:34:47 PM
It was a pleasure, there's nothing better than listening to good music :)

Of course, don't worry! The thought was extremely kind, I will be happy to receive it in any case! :D Mine cointains a little musical quote, but I'm not sure you will catch it..... ;)
Thank you too Daniel! All the best!

:) Thank you Ilaria! :)

:D How wonderful, a musical quote! I hope it's Mahler! :D Grazie, Ilaria. :)

Quote from: vandermolen on December 23, 2011, 03:07:20 PM
Count me as a fan of 'Seascape' too - loved the 'Tapiola-like' section but done with great originality - had me gripped throughout
Thank you Jeffrey! So glad that you enjoyed it!

Had a wonderful composer moment yesterday evening in which I was lying in bed, and at around 2.00 in the morning, and then suddenly had an idea for the 'Nocturnes' for wordless choir and orchestra. Developed the idea in my mind for a while, and then got too frightened of forgetting the idea so got up, went up to my desk and spent the next half hour sketching out the ideas. Now, I have a sketched score for one of the nocturnes which just needs to be orchestrated! :D
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 24, 2011, 05:04:08 AM
:D How wonderful, a musical quote! I hope it's Mahler! :D Grazie, Ilaria. :)

:)

I'm afraid it's not Mahler......