Hogan's Home

Started by madaboutmahler, December 22, 2011, 01:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjvinthechair

Daniel - caught up with your pieces now, I think !
  Liked what I heard originally because, apart from choral works,  could quite easily fill all my playlists/downloads etc. with tone poems/serenades/rhapsodies and the like rather than full symphonies/concerti.
Technical ignorance means I can't begin to understand what merits your compositions have musically, but I can see that with 'Seascapes' you seem to be finding more of your own 'voice', and I needn't have crossed my fingers before listening in the hope I would still like a more 'contemporary' sound (and wouldn't have to fib to you !) because I loved it.
There have been so many variations over the years on a sea/ocean theme - and most are quite delightful;some really moving - but it can't be easy to create a new slant on such a familiar theme while keeping it personal (and a pleasure for the listener !). Think you've certainly done that, & I salute you for it, and look forward to future works.....and Hogan at the Proms !
Happy Christmas, Daniel !                                                                          Clive. 
Clive.

TheGSMoeller

Bravo!!!!!! Great job, Daniel.
Thank you for sharing.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: cjvinthechair on December 24, 2011, 09:27:42 AM
Daniel - caught up with your pieces now, I think !
  Liked what I heard originally because, apart from choral works,  could quite easily fill all my playlists/downloads etc. with tone poems/serenades/rhapsodies and the like rather than full symphonies/concerti.
Technical ignorance means I can't begin to understand what merits your compositions have musically, but I can see that with 'Seascapes' you seem to be finding more of your own 'voice', and I needn't have crossed my fingers before listening in the hope I would still like a more 'contemporary' sound (and wouldn't have to fib to you !) because I loved it.
There have been so many variations over the years on a sea/ocean theme - and most are quite delightful;some really moving - but it can't be easy to create a new slant on such a familiar theme while keeping it personal (and a pleasure for the listener !). Think you've certainly done that, & I salute you for it, and look forward to future works.....and Hogan at the Proms !
Happy Christmas, Daniel !                                                                          Clive. 

Thank you so much, Clive, for your kind words. I am so glad that you enjoyed it and feel that the piece is worthy of such praise! Thank you! :) Merry Christmas Clive!

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 24, 2011, 06:33:59 PM
Bravo!!!!!! Great job, Daniel.
Thank you for sharing.

Thank you Greg!

Merry Christmas to all!
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Szykneij

I just enjoyed listening to your cello concerto while waiting for the family to wake up to open presents. A cup of coffee and good music -- a very nice way to start the holiday! Bravo!
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Szykneij on December 25, 2011, 05:38:54 AM
I just enjoyed listening to your cello concerto while waiting for the family to wake up to open presents. A cup of coffee and good music -- a very nice way to start the holiday! Bravo!

Thank you! I am glad you enjoyed it! I remember composing the cello concerto around two years ago, one of the last joyous pieces I wrote!
Hope you are having a wonderful Christmas!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Am now writing a 'Reverie' for piano 8-hands, for my chamber group at the Royal Academy. I never thought my music would turn out to be so minimalistic... I love it! :)

Hope you are all having a wonderful start to the new year!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 02, 2012, 10:56:42 AM
Am now writing a 'Reverie' for piano 8-hands, for my chamber group at the Royal Academy. I never thought my music would turn out to be so minimalistic... I love it! :)

Hope you are all having a wonderful start to the new year!

Completed just now. :D

Have renamed it 'Fantasie'.
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

How long a piece?  Is the score available? : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on January 03, 2012, 07:02:48 AM
How long a piece?  Is the score available? : )
Thank you for your interest, Karl. It's only a small little piece, around 3 minutes long. I'll upload a score and audio sometime soon. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 03, 2012, 09:19:10 AM

Thank you for your interest, Karl. It's only a small little piece, around 3 minutes long. I'll upload a score and audio sometime soon. :)

Really glad to hear this, I'm looking forward to seeing it :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on January 03, 2012, 09:51:51 AM
Really glad to hear this, I'm looking forward to seeing it :)

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, Ilaria. Thank you - last week, we rehearsed in during our chamber music rehearsal at the academy, it was great fun :) We're going to continue rehearsing it through the term. Maybe there will be a way I can get a recording at the end. :)

Update:
Today, I started working on an exercise my compositon mentor at the Royal Academy JD had set me last week. He told me to write a string quintet allegro, with more shifting harmony. (this is after he heard 'Seascapes' which he said was a very beautiful imaginative piece but he suggested the harmony should shift more often). So, I started writing the exercise and then realized that I was really liking what I was writing. So within an hour, I had completed the piece which is now going to be used as the finale to my new 'String Quintet'. It is a rather bouncy piece full of wit dark humor. It is around 2 minutes, the other movements in the quintet should be around the same duration I imagine. Very pleased with it, was surprised that I could write an allegro again without too much trouble... as the last allegro I wrote was in the Rhapsody for Orchestra, which I wrote last April!
So, will finish the string quintet soon, doing as much composition as possible around the revision for the exams... and after that, shall start on my 'Nocturnes for Wordless Choir and Orchestra' which I am so excited about! The work shall be a dark, haunting, but deeply romantic and optimistic. I'll be setting it in A Major, which may tell you something about the very beautiful, wonderful person I have chosen to dedicate the piece to.... :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Szykneij

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 02, 2012, 10:56:42 AM
Am now writing a 'Reverie' for piano 8-hands,

sorry ... couldn't resist.   
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

cjvinthechair

Quote from: Szykneij on January 14, 2012, 06:31:14 AM

sorry ... couldn't resist.   

Love your incredibly cheerful octopus - you should take commissions for brightening up more threads !
Clive.

madaboutmahler

Was absolutely delighted to log onto the computer today and find that the Japanese pianist, Keiko Nishizu, has uploaded her performance of my 'Romance for Piano' to youtube!

She gives an absolutely beautiful interpretation. I am so happy to have it! This piece always brings back many memories to me, but the subtle optimistic ending has worked, I have moved on. Life is better now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smj3IFQp9e0
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 26, 2012, 10:17:56 AM
Was absolutely delighted to log onto the computer today and find that the Japanese pianist, Keiko Nishizu, has uploaded her performance of my 'Romance for Piano' to youtube!

Beautiful piece, nice performance.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

madaboutmahler

— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on January 27, 2012, 10:17:24 AM
Nice!

Thank you, Karl! Although I have moved on from this style, this piece remains very special to me!
— Ludwig van Beethoven