Hogan's Home

Started by madaboutmahler, December 22, 2011, 01:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Think I finished the first nocturne this evening. It's like a prologue to the nocturnes to come. Very pleased! There will be around 6, all featuring a motif that comes back. Looking forward to continuing it, have many ideas at the ready!
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

John Copeland

I see you have Bortkiewicz on your 'listening to' list Daniel.  I have his 1 & 2 with the BBCSSO / Brabbins.  I really do like these pieces, and as Bortkiewicz is not, for some reason, a widely touted composer, I was wondering what you have and what you consider is good by him.  I would like to get more Bortkiewicz - any recommendations would be welcome.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Scots John on January 30, 2012, 03:57:25 AM
I see you have Bortkiewicz on your 'listening to' list Daniel.  I have his 1 & 2 with the BBCSSO / Brabbins.  I really do like these pieces, and as Bortkiewicz is not, for some reason, a widely touted composer, I was wondering what you have and what you consider is good by him.  I would like to get more Bortkiewicz - any recommendations would be welcome.

Hi John. Yes - I absolutely love Bortkiewicz's music. In fact, he was a main inspiration to me for a while too, when I was composing works in the more romantic style.
He has such a lyrical, poetic, beautiful and exciting style! The two symphonies are excellent works, glad you like them. Another favourite work of mine is his first piano concerto. A piece full of such elegance and delight! The last movement also contains one of the most romantic, beautiful melodies I have ever heard. There is an excellent recording from Coombs and the BBCSSO/Maksymiuk, which really is great. The concerto so deserves more than one recording though... Also, the box of the piano music from Coombs I would also highly recommend, Bortkiewicz certainly wrote some excellent piano music. Here's to more recordings of Bortkiewicz's music! I have been bothering Naxos about it for a while!

Hope this helps, John! Have a nice day!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

John Copeland

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 30, 2012, 07:59:59 AM
Hi John. Yes - I absolutely love Bortkiewicz's music. In fact, he was a main inspiration to me for a while too, when I was composing works in the more romantic style.
He has such a lyrical, poetic, beautiful and exciting style! The two symphonies are excellent works, glad you like them. Another favourite work of mine is his first piano concerto. A piece full of such elegance and delight! The last movement also contains one of the most romantic, beautiful melodies I have ever heard. There is an excellent recording from Coombs and the BBCSSO/Maksymiuk, which really is great. The concerto so deserves more than one recording though... Also, the box of the piano music from Coombs I would also highly recommend, Bortkiewicz certainly wrote some excellent piano music. Here's to more recordings of Bortkiewicz's music! I have been bothering Naxos about it for a while!
Hope this helps, John! Have a nice day!

Thanks Daniel, much appreciated...I am on the prowl for the Piano Concerto now.   :D

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Scots John on January 30, 2012, 08:30:11 AM
Thanks Daniel, much appreciated...I am on the prowl for the Piano Concerto now.   :D

Hope you enjoy it - let us know what you think! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Who wouldn't enjoy prowling for a piano concerto? . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

Just back from the Chesham Arts Festival Composition competition adjudication and am pleased to report that I won it. Was so glad that the adjudicator, Timothy Bowers, seemed to love the works I entered and was very enthusiastic about them! :)

EDIT: was Seascapes and the String Quintet that I entered.
— Ludwig van Beethoven

ibanezmonster

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 05, 2012, 08:55:42 AM
Just back from the Chesham Arts Festival Composition competition adjudication and am pleased to report that I won it. Was so glad that the adjudicator, Timothy Bowers, seemed to love the works I entered and was very enthusiastic about them! :)

EDIT: was Seascapes and the String Quintet that I entered.
Nice!  :)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Greg on February 08, 2012, 07:27:44 AM
Nice!  :)

Thank you, Greg! :)

Update: Asked Scarlet today whether I could write and dedicate a violin sonata for her, and she said yes.  :) (so, I don't have to do what Vaughan Williams did with his dedication to Sibelius in the 5th symphony... :D ) She is such an amazing violinst who inspires me so much, and I love playing duets with her. So, shall start the sonata soon! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Started work on the violin sonata this evening. Going very well so am very excited about continuing it tommorow. A suitable piece to start on this particular day!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Thoughts update:

Current piece: Violin Sonata, dedicated to Scarlet O'Shea
will hopefully turn out to be a three movement piece. the two outer movements being subtle and slow. the inner being more agressive.

Future pieces:
Something for viola and string orchestra. Felt inspired to write something for viola after hearing Karl's Viola Sonata, a piece I really responded to.

A piece for organ, choir and chamber orchestra.

AN OPERA! :D Still talking about the plot with an author friend at school. Probably be ages until I get to start the music, but I am excited anyway!

Shall continue the violin sonata tommorow, looking forward to doing so! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 16, 2012, 07:42:51 PM
Future pieces:
Something for viola and string orchestra. Felt inspired to write something for viola after hearing Karl's Viola Sonata, a piece I really responded to.

I am touched, my friend! (Put that hammer down.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on February 17, 2012, 04:39:39 AM
Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 16, 2012, 07:42:51 PM
Future pieces:

I am touched, my friend! (Put that hammer down.)

Thank you, Karl! I really look forward to writing it, the viola is such a beautiful instrument as you depicted excellently in your sonata. Now to continue the violin sonata though. Cannot wait to play this with Scarlet... :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Finished the first movement of the violin sonata this evening and am very pleased. :) The duration totalled at just over 6 minutes. The mood of the piece starts off as rather romantic and optimistic, but for the majority of the movement is extremely dark and depressing. Don't know why... considering the dedicatee of the sonata! I'm sure the other two movements shall turn out to me more joyous! I'll do a lively, energetic second movement and a 'Romance' for the finale. Looking forward to continuing it!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 17, 2012, 02:41:40 PM
Finished the first movement of the violin sonata this evening and am very pleased. :) The duration totalled at just over 6 minutes. The mood of the piece starts off as rather romantic and optimistic, but for the majority of the movement is extremely dark and depressing. Don't know why... considering the dedicatee of the sonata! I'm sure the other two movements shall turn out to me more joyous! I'll do a lively, energetic second movement and a 'Romance' for the finale. Looking forward to continuing it!

Listened to it again yesterday and realised what the emotional structure of the piece is.

And today, thought of the perfect ending to the sonata. Just need to think of a second movement and the first half of the third movement. School holidays over now... so my time for composition will be limited. Will do as much as I can! And I'll be rehearsing with Scarlet soon, we'll probably start playing the first movement of the sonata. :) Can't wait... :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Finally thought of an idea for the second movement for the violin sonata. Started work on it this evening and much look forward to continuing it! Particularly looking forward to composing the 'Romance' movement which will finish the sonata. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Got a bit of time to work on the violin sonata this evening and am pleased to report that the second movement is now coming along nicely. It's a short, romantic allegretto. :)

Rehearsal with Scarlet tommorow! :) :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Had a really wonderful rehearsal with Scarlet today, we played Elgar's Salut d'amour various times and a bit of Scheherezade. I was reminded of what an incredibly beautiful tone she has - this is what I shall try and write for in the violin sonata. Therefore, it will not be so much a virtuosic work, but a lyrical, romantic to one to show off her heavenly sound. That said, she is incredibly virtuosic as well, so of course the sonata is still very challenging... :)

Should be finished in no more than 2 weeks, and then to play it with her... :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

John Copeland

Daniel!  I just got the 48 hour ticket for the Digital Concert Hall too!  I'll let you know what I've watched.   :D

Hope we can all hear the Violin Sonata on completion!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scots John on February 22, 2012, 06:44:15 PM
Daniel!  I just got the 48 hour ticket for the Digital Concert Hall too!  I'll let you know what I've watched.   :D

Hope we can all hear the Violin Sonata on completion!

How do you get that 48 hour ticket?