Hogan's Home

Started by madaboutmahler, December 22, 2011, 01:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Had the first rehearsal with Scarlet for the violin sonata today! It was wonderful! :) She is...  0:)
We played through the second movement together and a little bit of the first. She seems to really like it, she called it beautiful! :)

Will be arranging another rehearsal soon.

By the way, I hope you don't mind if I use this thread for my conducting too. (however much of it there will be...!)

I might have mentioned here that the wonderful head of music at our school has allowed me to form my own chamber orchestra which I will be conducting. Most of the members have been recruited now, and we shall be starting after the school Easter Holidays. I am very keen to attempt Prokofiev's Classical Symphony with them, it certainly would be a fun challenge. Maybe also Sibelius' Valse Triste, and perhaps also a bit of Schumann 4. Would be grateful to hear some more ideas though... for this kind of sized orchestra.

:)

I better get the violin sonata out to you all soon! I did promise to quite a while ago...
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

So you got it into shape that the violinist could read it, without hurling curses upon the composer's head? ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 21, 2012, 11:01:59 AM
I might have mentioned here that the wonderful head of music at our school has allowed me to form my own chamber orchestra which I will be conducting. Most of the members have been recruited now, and we shall be starting after the school Easter Holidays. I am very keen to attempt Prokofiev's Classical Symphony with them, it certainly would be a fun challenge. Maybe also Sibelius' Valse Triste, and perhaps also a bit of Schumann 4. Would be grateful to hear some more ideas though... for this kind of sized orchestra.

More Sibelius: Rakastava, Op.14, Andante festivo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulj3Zu09N9w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk8JhFFkPtE

And Leevi Madetoja: Elegy for Strings (http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/w/160397/Leevi-Antti-Madetoja-Symphonic-Suite-Op-4-Elegy-for-Strings)

Atterberg: Suite No. 3, Op. 19   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcR-ziqhq68&feature=related
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Lisztianwagner

Amazing, I look forward to listening to the Violin Sonata! Good luck for the next rehearsal :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: North Star on March 21, 2012, 11:19:27 AM
More Sibelius: Rakastava, Op.14, Andante festivo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulj3Zu09N9w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk8JhFFkPtE

And Leevi Madetoja: Elegy for Strings (http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/w/160397/Leevi-Antti-Madetoja-Symphonic-Suite-Op-4-Elegy-for-Strings)

Atterberg: Suite No. 3, Op. 19   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcR-ziqhq68&feature=related

Beautiful pieces, thank you for the suggestions, Karlo! :)

Quote from: karlhenning on March 21, 2012, 11:15:26 AM
So you got it into shape that the violinist could read it, without hurling curses upon the composer's head? ; )

haha :) Pretty much, Karl. Although, Scarlet is far too polite and wonderful (  0:) ) to point out any errors! I did spot a few... mainly in my piano part... which I will change!

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on March 21, 2012, 11:40:17 AM
Amazing, I look forward to listening to the Violin Sonata! Good luck for the next rehearsal :)

Thank you, Ilaria! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Started a new piece! I think it will be a piece called 'Fantasies', a group of small, calm, emotional pieces for chamber orchestra that reflect the thoughts I have....

So, a very personal piece! Very excited about getting down! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 25, 2012, 01:44:00 PM
Started a new piece! I think it will be a piece called 'Fantasies', a group of small, calm, emotional pieces for chamber orchestra that reflect the thoughts I have....

So, a very personal piece! Very excited about getting down! :)

It is going very very very very well!! :) :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

I finished the first movement of my set for chamber orchestra called 'Fantasies' today, and am very pleased with it! And very excited to continue the work!

The work, hence the title, is to depict my inner thoughts about various feelings, people etc. Within the set, I hope to include a concertino for cello, as I do have a cellist in mind.

Anyway, very much looking forward to continuing the work, and eventually sharing it with you all! And as it is only a chamber orchestra, there may be a chance of getting it performed, maybe at the Academy. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

listener

We will come up with a lot of suggestions if you will specify the orchestra size - number of woodwinds and brass, harp possible?
The most likely limitation will be getting the music; any regional libraries or other orchestras that will loan parts and scores?
And there are potential problems with contemporary scores that have performing licences still.
Some suggestions: Walton's Façade Suite, Copland: Quiet City, and Ives: the Unanswered Question
R. Strauss Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme, some short concertos by Donizetti if you have wind players that can solo, lots of Milhaud.....(thinking of the probable age group and avoiding Requiems and really long pieces)
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

madaboutmahler

Quote from: listener on April 03, 2012, 12:58:39 AM
We will come up with a lot of suggestions if you will specify the orchestra size - number of woodwinds and brass, harp possible?
The most likely limitation will be getting the music; any regional libraries or other orchestras that will loan parts and scores?
And there are potential problems with contemporary scores that have performing licences still.
Some suggestions: Walton's Façade Suite, Copland: Quiet City, and Ives: the Unanswered Question
R. Strauss Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme, some short concertos by Donizetti if you have wind players that can solo, lots of Milhaud.....(thinking of the probable age group and avoiding Requiems and really long pieces)

Thank you for the suggestions. The R.Strauss is a piece I love so I will certainly be considering that one. Concerning the scores, I could probably get most of the parts from IMSLP, hopefully. If not, then I should be able to loan parts from the Academy library, or get my teacher Matthew to do so.  The orchestra at the moment is rather small, and missing a few instruments... We have a fair enough string section with some very good violinists (including Scarlet by the way, the dedicatee of my violin sonata), 2 flutes, 1 oboe, 2 clarinets, 1 bassoon, 4 horns, 2 trumpets and a percussionist.
So, the Prokofiev Classical Symphony is a definite choice, we shall be starting that the first week back. :) Thanks again, listener!

— Ludwig van Beethoven

listener

... the right size for a lot of the early Classical period and as a chorus accompaniment.  If your trumpeter can get through "The Trumpet Shall Sound" you might see if there are any choral groups that usually do Handel's Messiah with just an organ accompaniment, or a light opera company doing Gilbert and Sullivan (or any other opera) and they should provide the parts and score..
It's a bit of a come-down to do the prep work and than hand it over to someone else, but it would be instructive to you and good publicity for the group to be heard by a new audience.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

madaboutmahler

Quote from: listener on April 03, 2012, 07:05:46 PM
... the right size for a lot of the early Classical period and as a chorus accompaniment.  If your trumpeter can get through "The Trumpet Shall Sound" you might see if there are any choral groups that usually do Handel's Messiah with just an organ accompaniment, or a light opera company doing Gilbert and Sullivan (or any other opera) and they should provide the parts and score..
It's a bit of a come-down to do the prep work and than hand it over to someone else, but it would be instructive to you and good publicity for the group to be heard by a new audience.

Thank you for the advice, listener! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Kastchei

Good luck with your compositions, Daniel!

I listen to your "Romance for piano" from time to time and I really like it.

Greetings!

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Kastchei on April 05, 2012, 09:09:09 AM
Good luck with your compositions, Daniel!

I listen to your "Romance for piano" from time to time and I really like it.

Greetings!

Thank you, Ruben! They are all going very well at the moment, so I hope they continue to do so! :)
I am glad you like my 'Romance for piano', Keiko gave a really beautiful performance of it!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Did a lot more work on the 'Fantasies' today, and decided to make it a one movements work, so: 'Fantasy' for Chamber Orchestra

It is going very very well, I think it may be my best work yet overall. I should finish it very soon so look forward to sharing it with all of you! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Wow, for a chamber orchestra, it sounds amazing; I'm looking forward to listening to it! :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 06, 2012, 01:29:43 PM
Wow, for a chamber orchestra, it sounds amazing; I'm looking forward to listening to it! :)

Thank you, Ilaria! I am so close to completing it now, I just need to think of the perfect ending! :)

And yes, the chamber orchestra for 'Fantasy' is: 1 piccolo, 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, bass clarinet, 2 bassoons, 3 horns, tuba, 4 percussionists, celesta, harp and strings.

Couldn't resist naming the percussion as well... ;D
timpani, glockenspiel, vibraphone, xylophone, bass drum, cymbal, tam tam, gong, triangle, tubular bells, croatles. :)

The piece will  be finished today! Hopefully within the next few minutes even! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on April 07, 2012, 04:47:29 AM
Thank you, Ilaria! I am so close to completing it now, I just need to think of the perfect ending! :)

And yes, the chamber orchestra for 'Fantasy' is: 1 piccolo, 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, bass clarinet, 2 bassoons, 3 horns, tuba, 4 percussionists, celesta, harp and strings.

Couldn't resist naming the percussion as well... ;D
timpani, glockenspiel, vibraphone, xylophone, bass drum, cymbal, tam tam, gong, triangle, tubular bells, croatles. :)

The piece will  be finished today! Hopefully within the next few minutes even! :)

Excellent instrumentation, I'm really curious to listen to the piece; so glad to see there are so many percussion instruments, I love their sound! ;D
Haha, there are even the celesta and the glockenspiel, I adore playing them! And the tubular bells, amazing!
Have you found all the members of the orchestra yet? I might have played the celesta/glockenspiel....pity I don't live in England. ;)

Can't wait to listen to the 'Fantasy' once it has been finished.

madaboutmahler

I have just finished the 'Fantasy' for Chamber Orchestra ! Really pleased with it and am very excited to share it with other people now! :)
Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 07, 2012, 05:14:01 AM
Excellent instrumentation, I'm really curious to listen to the piece; so glad to see there are so many percussion instruments, I love their sound! ;D
Haha, there are even the celesta and the glockenspiel, I adore playing them! And the tubular bells, amazing!
Have you found all the members of the orchestra yet? I might have played the celesta/glockenspiel....pity I don't live in England. ;)

Can't wait to listen to the 'Fantasy' once it has been finished.

Thank you, Ilaria!
haha, I love percussion too! :D

I am not sure if this will be getting a performance just yet. Although, one of the administrators at the Academy seemed keen to get a performance of the work with musicians there. Hopefully! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Listening through to the 'Fantasie' which I completed today, and am so so so so very pleased with it! It may be possible to get a performance of it rather soon, I hope so! I could have it played at the Academy, as one of the principals suggested... that would be amazing! To have my great friends, amazing musicians, playing it! Will hope for that! Maybe Matthew will be able to organize it... :D

Anyway, SO PLEASED with it and cannot wait to share it with all of you. It's a very personal work, depicting my inner thoughts and dreams over various feelings, and a particular person...  0:)
— Ludwig van Beethoven