Hogan's Home

Started by madaboutmahler, December 22, 2011, 01:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

I very much enjoyed the first rehearsal with my new chamber orchestra today! We rehearsed Sibelius' Valse Triste today, and will be starting Prokofiev's Classical Symphony next week. :)

We had great fun, and I think everyone enjoyed the piece, so looking forward to the next rehearsal! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

I need to start thinking about what to compose next!

I have the cello piece for HHHHHHHHH and the flute/clarinet piece for Karl. Thinking about possibly writing a concerto work as well. Not quite sure which instrument yet though...

Looking forward to whatever I choose to write! :)

— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

I'm waiting for a Piano Concerto at this point!! :D
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 29, 2012, 02:39:07 PM
I'm waiting for a Piano Concerto at this point!! :D

I would certainly be interested in writing one... :D

Instruments I was thinking of for a concerto were violin, viola, cello, flute, horn or piano. :)

Not quite decided yet though. Need to keep thinking! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Well, get that flute-&-clarinet duo in the works, then think about your concerto : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on April 30, 2012, 09:00:26 AM
Well, get that flute-&-clarinet duo in the works, then think about your concerto : )

Ok - will do! Thanks, Karl! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

The place where I played Friday evening will invite me back, and Peter Bloom and I will include your piece, as long as (a) it's ready and (b) Peter consents to play it : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on April 30, 2012, 09:27:43 AM
The place where I played Friday evening will invite me back, and Peter Bloom and I will include your piece, as long as (a) it's ready and (b) Peter consents to play it : )

Wow, that's absolutely great, Karl! Thank you so much! :) I shall get to work on it very soon. I think I have some ideas forming... :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Writing the duet for flute and clarinet right now. I think it could be finished tonight! :)

Karl, out of interest - does Peter have a piccolo? And do you have a bass clarinet? Don't worry if not. :)

I hope you will like it - it's a rather strange piece....

:)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Peter does have a picc; but I have no bass. Carry on!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on May 05, 2012, 02:12:26 PM
Peter does have a picc; but I have no bass. Carry on!

Wonderful! :)

By the way, I think I finished it last night. Will make a few little changes to the score and then send it along. It's a strange little miniature lasting around 4 minutes. But I hope you like it! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Splendid, Daniel; looking forward to seeing it!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on May 06, 2012, 09:01:21 AM
Splendid, Daniel; looking forward to seeing it!

Thank you, Karl. Shall tidy up the score and send it along this week! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

I have been asked by a friend of mine, who used to be in the first violins of the Gewandhaus, and who is now in the firsts of the Berlin Staatskapelle (I think...  :-[ ), to write a piece for her and her boyfriend, who is a pianist, to play. :)

She wants it to be very romantic in mood, which won't be hard to achieve, as the other piece I will be working on at the time will be a cello piece dedicated to a cellist I have rather large affection for... :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Wonderful WYO rehearsal this evening, in which the conductor at the end called me the 'Player of the Evening' to which I recieved a round of applause from the orchestra! (including a certain person I have a massive affection for)

That certain person I later messaged on facebook, feeling that it was a good time to ask for her number. ;) She is the cellist I am going to be composing a piece dedicated to very soon. So, waiting nervously, I listened to the romantic section from the last movement of Bortkiewicz's 1st piano concerto, using it as a sense of spiritual luck. It worked, I have her number now! So very happy... we're talking a lot. She's so happy that I'm going to be writing a piece for her! That excerpt from the Bortkiewicz has become a lucky piece for me... maybe I'll sneakily quite a small bit of it in the cello piece! ;)

I just had to share it, so very happy! Shall be starting this cello piece very soon!

Great start to the weekend! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

I'm very glad about it, Daniel; I wish you all the best, both with the orchestra and the cello piece and the cellist! :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on May 11, 2012, 01:56:31 PM
I'm very glad about it, Daniel; I wish you all the best, both with the orchestra and the cello piece and the cellist! :)

Thank you, Ilaria! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Good on you, Daniel! Though I fear that means a likely delay in the fl/cl duo ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on May 13, 2012, 06:48:36 AM
Good on you, Daniel! Though I fear that means a likely delay in the fl/cl duo ; )

Thank you, Karl! :) Oh, I'll make sure to get that to you by the end of tommorow. I have a 'study leave' day from school tommorow as we have some exams in the upcoming weeks, which means I get to stay at home. Of course, I'll do some revision ;) (joking aside, I'm planning to do around 3-4 hours of revision...), but I will also finally be able to catch up on composition hopefully! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Hoping to start the cello piece soon... have some ideas at the ready, very very romantic in mood... :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven