Hogan's Home

Started by madaboutmahler, December 22, 2011, 01:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Henk on June 10, 2012, 03:41:05 AM
Daniel, I listened to some of your works, "Romance for piano" and "Seascapes".

Though I'm not a fan of late-romantic music, it was nice to listen to your works. I like some of the elements of it you use (abrupt chord changes).

Will try some others later.

So cool that a Japanese pianist performed your work. She does it with much dedication. Good promotion for you!

Henk

Thank you very much, Henk. Recently, I feel that my style is naturally going forwards to be more impressionist, and perhaps more modernist too, still with much romanticism remaining though. I think this started in 'Seascapes', through the 'Violin Sonata' and very much so in my most recent orchestral work 'Fantasie', which I am very excited to upload to share with you all!
Yes, I am very happy and fortunate to have Keiko perform my music! She is a wonderful pianist. I am hoping she will perform my piano sonata once completed as well! :)

Thanks again, Henk! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Pretty much finished that little orchestral miniature that I was talking about a few days ago. Am pleased with it! Just need to make one or two little changes to the middle section.

Feels so good to be out of the composer's block! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

From a facebook post today:
is so happy to tell you all that I was chosen to be 'highly commended' in the BBC Proms' Inspire Composers Competition this year! I entered a rather short, scherzo-like piece simply called 'String Quintet'. In previous years, the highly commended pieces (along with the winner's piece too) have been performed by members of the Aurora Orchestra at the Royal College of Music and broadcast on BBC Radio 3, so I am hoping for this! :)

So very happy and excited about it! :) Here is the website if you are interested in taking a look!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/features/inspire
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Arrived home from a wonderful Watford Youth Orchestra concert, and recieved an email from the BBC Proms saying that my piece that came highly commended in the competition shall definitely be played by members of the Aurora Orchestra and will be broadcasted on BBC Radio 3! So excited! I get to attend rehearsals too! :)

Following on from this, I had a wonderful facebook conversation with Laure Chan, who you may remember me talking about on the 'If you could conduct' thread. We did actually talk about the idea of future collaborations, saying we would both love to work with eachother! And also, I asked her whether I could write a piece for her. She replied 'it would be an honour', to which I obviously replied 'it would be an honour to have someone like you play my music!' She is such a beautiful violinist! It's sadly Laure's last day at the academy tommorow, as she is off to Switzerland to have lessons from Vengerov in the Sibelius concerto! What a pleasure it is to know her, and to have shared classes with her. Very much looking forward to staying in touch! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Congratulations, Daniel! What great news, I'm very glad about it. I wish you to have always much happiness and satisfaction with music! :) May I ask you to send me the link of BBC Radio 3 when it will be time? I would really like to listen to your piece when they will broadcast it.

While listening to Chopin, I've reminded I have got the score of your Violin Sonata; I might start studying the piano part of one of the movements, maybe the 2nd; if I'm not wrong it's the shortest one, a very brilliant, intense movement.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on June 22, 2012, 02:54:40 PM
Congratulations, Daniel! What great news, I'm very glad about it. I wish you to have always much happiness and satisfaction with music! :) May I ask you to send me the link of BBC Radio 3 when it will be time? I would really like to listen to your piece when theywill broadcast it.

While listening to Chopin, I've reminded I have got the score of your Violin Sonata; I might start studying the piano part of one of the movements, maybe the 2nd; if I'm not wrong it's the shortest one, a very brilliant, intense movement.

Thank you so very much, Ilaria! Of course I'll share the link with you, I'd really love you to hear it! :) So very excited!

That's wonderful, thank you very much, Ilaria! :)

Got very emotional earlier when Laure and I had had to smile and wave goodbye - will miss seeing her at the Academy weekly very much. But looking forward to staying in touch with her, and composing the piece for her! And I aspire towards the idea of collaborating with her on concerti (etc) in the future, maybe I'll compose a violin concerto now and hope that one day we'll be able to play it together! So hopefully it won't be too long until we see eachother again! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on June 23, 2012, 10:53:05 AM
Thank you so very much, Ilaria! Of course I'll share the link with you, I'd really love you to hear it! :) So very excited!

That's wonderful, thank you very much, Ilaria! :)

Got very emotional earlier when Laure and I had had to smile and wave goodbye - will miss seeing her at the Academy weekly very much. But looking forward to staying in touch with her, and composing the piece for her! And I aspire towards the idea of collaborating with her on concerti (etc) in the future, maybe I'll compose a violin concerto now and hope that one day we'll be able to play it together! So hopefully it won't be too long until we see eachother again! :)

Great, thank you so much, Daniel! I'm looking forward to listening to your piece! :)

The pleasure is mine, it's a honour to be your friend and play your music! ;) I looked at the score of the 2nd movement very carefully yesterday evening, such a really enchanting piece. I saw it required tremoli; I've never played them, it would be an interesting challenge.

How amazing, they sound wonderful plans, I wish you to realize them soon! :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on June 23, 2012, 03:11:41 PM
Great, thank you so much, Daniel! I'm looking forward to listening to your piece! :)

The pleasure is mine, it's a honour to be your friend and play your music! ;) I looked at the score of the 2nd movement very carefully yesterday evening, such a really enchanting piece. I saw it required tremoli; I've never played them, it would be an interesting challenge.

How amazing, they sound wonderful plans, I wish you to realize them soon! :)

Thank you so very much, Ilaria, those are very kind words! :) I am glad you are enjoying looking at the piano part of my first violin sonata. :)

Thank you again, Ilaria! It really is so wonderful to have friends like you! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

At the academy today, Matthew played me Hugh Wood's Violin Concerto which inspired me very much for my own violin concerto (dedicated to Laure), which I do hope to be starting very soon.
Very optimistic about the concerto, really looking forward to writing it! :)

By the way, about the performance of the 'String Quintet' - it shall be performed live on the 4th August on BBC Radio 3, and shall be broadcast on the 16th. Hope some of you will be able to listen! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Quote from: madaboutmahler on April 15, 2012, 01:16:57 PM
Finally... here it is! The Violin Sonata! :)

... Of course, if you would rather wait to hear the performance Scarlet and myself give, that is fine.

Is that still in the hopper, Daniel, or have you two performed the Sonata? Inquiring minds want to know! : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on July 07, 2012, 01:26:21 PM
At the academy today, Matthew played me Hugh Wood's Violin Concerto which inspired me very much for my own violin concerto (dedicated to Laure), which I do hope to be starting very soon.
Very optimistic about the concerto, really looking forward to writing it! :)

By the way, about the performance of the 'String Quintet' - it shall be performed live on the 4th August on BBC Radio 3, and shall be broadcast on the 16th. Hope some of you will be able to listen! :)

Great, I really hope to be able to listen to your piece when it shall be broadcast! I've never heard Wood's Violin Concerto, but glad it helped you to find much inspiration. :)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on July 07, 2012, 01:48:10 PM
Is that still in the hopper, Daniel, or have you two performed the Sonata? Inquiring minds want to know! : )

Thank you for asking, Karl - it's been quite a while since we last rehearsed it, must arrange another rehearsal! It might be quite some time before there will be a live performance from us though, but hopefully there will be a performance of it sometime in the near future!

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on July 07, 2012, 02:23:20 PM
Great, I really hope to be able to listen to your piece when it shall be broadcast! I've never heard Wood's Violin Concerto, but glad it helped you to find much inspiration. :)

Thank you, Ilaria! Will make sure to share more details closer to the time! :)
Thank you - and the Wood VC is certainly a work I would recommend for you to listen to! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on July 07, 2012, 01:48:10 PM
Update on that: Scarlet told me that she will be practising it over the summer holidays, I should probably take a look at that piano part too... We are going to meet up again once back at school. :)

Have made a start on the violin concerto today, I think it is going really well so far, so I look forward to continue it! I'll have to find a video of Laure (the dedicatee) playing to depict to you just a part of how inspired I am! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Restarted the violin concerto today and am far more happy with it now, in fact, I am incredibly happy with it and am very optimistic about what I have just written. It is very calm and expressive, with a lot of peaceful dialogue between the solo violin and upper winds. Very much excited about continuing it! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Kastchei

Quote from: madaboutmahler on July 30, 2012, 07:14:28 AM
Restarted the violin concerto today and am far more happy with it now, in fact, I am incredibly happy with it and am very optimistic about what I have just written. It is very calm and expressive, with a lot of peaceful dialogue between the solo violin and upper winds. Very much excited about continuing it! :)

Glad to hear that. Good luck!

madaboutmahler

Thank you, and welcome back, Ruben!

Working more on the violin concerto today, and it is going really well I think! Moving on in the first movement, having arrived at a piu mosso after the Largo first section. The piece is all based around one motif so far, I'm thinking another will be introduced soon. It all has a very intimate, peaceful feel, the violin taking a very lyrical part. :) Very very pleased! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

madaboutmahler

Thank you - Will do, Karl! :) Very optimistic about this piece! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Very good news, Daniel; I hope you'll continue finding so much inspiration for the rest of the Violin Concerto too! I'm looking forward to listening to it. :)