Hogan's Home

Started by madaboutmahler, December 22, 2011, 01:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on August 01, 2012, 02:13:42 PM
Very good news, Daniel; I hope you'll continue finding so much inspiration for the rest of the Violin Concerto too! I'm looking forward to listening to it. :)

Thank you, Ilaria! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Hey! Back to work, you! : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on August 02, 2012, 04:48:23 AM
Hey! Back to work, you! : )

:D

Tommorow, rehearsing with the players that will be performing my 'String Quintet' on Saturday in the Pre-Prom. (the piece that came highly commended in the BBC Proms Inspire Competition) Very very excited! Will hopefully work on the violin concerto some more as well. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Is it a viola quintet or cello q?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Great news, of course! : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

madaboutmahler

Thank you, Karl!
It's actually with the addition of a DB. It's a very short (only 2 minutes or so), scherzo-like piece. Off to rehearse in around an hour! Really excited! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

We shall want a report!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on August 03, 2012, 03:42:05 AM
We shall want a report!

It was great!!!! :) :)
The players were absolutely amazing, they really understood the piece for it's scherzo-like nature, and I think they were really enjoying playing it! Also got to meet their music director, Nicholas Collon, who seemed to really enjoy the piece too.  Extremely excited about the performance tommorow, and I really hope that the audience will enjoy the piece! :) :)

The concert in which the quintet will be performed is following a whole day of composition workshops which I am also attending along with many of my academy friends who I look forward to seeing again after all these weeks of not having the academy because of the holidays! I'll probably be attending another rehearsal during the day too. And, after the concert in which my piece and the other winning/highly commended pieces will be performed, we get free tickets to go to the evening BBC Prom to see the National Youth Orchestra perform Messiaen's Turangalila Symphony! :) :)

So excited about it all!!!! :) :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

It was so great yesterday, the players did so well with the piece and the audience seemed to enjoy it, so I am incredibly pleased!! :) Some of the other winning/highly commended pieces really inspired me too. An amazing experience! :)

Off to France now, will be back in around a week's time. Hope you all have a wonderful week and thank you as always for your support! :) :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Just back from France and am delighted to see how many great threads have been created during my week away! Getting late now, but I'll be having a busy posting day tommorow, and I have a week worth of the listening thread to read through... :D

Still excited over the BBC Proms Inspire Concert last Saturday, was such a great evening which I will always remember! For those of you who want to listen to the broadcast of this concert, with my String Quintet premiere in it, the broadcast is on BBC Radio 3 on Thursday 16th August starting at 8.40 pm. I shall make sure to post a link closer to the time! Very excited!!!! :)

And with the inspiration from the beauty of Dinan in France where I have just come back from, I am eager to get back to composing! Loads of ideas!

Hope you all have a wonderful evening!!!! :) :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

North Star

Welcome back, Daniel. The classical radio station played Elgar's In the South today, seemed to fit well with your holiday.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Fabulous news, Daniel, and welcome back!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Lisztianwagner

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Thank you Karlo, Karl and Ilaria! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

John Copeland

Quote from: madaboutmahler on August 11, 2012, 02:07:09 PM
...String Quintet ... the broadcast is on BBC Radio 3 on Thursday 16th August starting at 8.40 pm. I shall make sure to post a link closer to the time! Very excited!!!! :)

Utterly brilliant stuff, I will be listening to that on Thursday.  Many many congratulations on having a work billed somewhere in the entire Proms, what an achievement.   :D 8)

North Star

Quote from: madaboutmahler on August 11, 2012, 02:07:09 PMStill excited over the BBC Proms Inspire Concert last Saturday, was such a great evening which I will always remember! For those of you who want to listen to the broadcast of this concert, with my String Quintet premiere in it, the broadcast is on BBC Radio 3 on Thursday 16th August starting at 8.40 pm. I shall make sure to post a link closer to the time! Very excited!!!! :)

I'll certainly try to remember this - perhaps someone could record the broadcast?
And congratulations, Daniel!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

madaboutmahler

Thank you both so very much!! :)

I do believe that I will be given a recording, hopefully I'll be able to share that. And if you can't catch the broadcast on that date, as it will be available on BBC Iplayer, it can be listened to for a week after the first broadcast.

So excited!!!! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Started work on a new piece today, a piece for flute, clarinet, percussion, piano, violin and cello today based on an idea I found a few evenings ago. Very excited about it, seem very inspired for this piece at the moment! Very much look forward to continuing it!
The violin concerto I shall return to in the near future! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Quote from: madaboutmahler on August 14, 2012, 01:56:14 PM
Started work on a new piece today, a piece for flute, clarinet, percussion, piano, violin and cello today based on an idea I found a few evenings ago. Very excited about it, seem very inspired for this piece at the moment! Very much look forward to continuing it!
The violin concerto I shall return to in the near future! :)

Working on this again now, I am beggining to think this may work a lot better being just a solo piano piece.... pretty sure of it actually. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on August 15, 2012, 08:22:51 AM
Working on this again now, I am beggining to think this may work a lot better being just a solo piano piece.... pretty sure of it actually. :)

Well, being a pianist, I can't definitely say that I don't like the idea of a solo piano piece. ;) Though the starting combination of instruments sounded very interesting!
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler