Hogan's Home

Started by madaboutmahler, December 22, 2011, 01:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on August 15, 2012, 09:12:52 AM
Well, being a pianist, I can't definitely say that I don't like the idea of a solo piano piece. ;) Though the starting combination of instruments sounded very interesting!

haha :) I do think that the ideas I have for this particular piece suit just a single instrument better than an ensemble. But I do plan to be writing for more 'unusual' combinations of instruments in the future. :) 
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

The edited broadcast of the concert is on BBC Radio 3 at 9.55 pm England time if you want to listen. As it's edited, I'm just hoping they will include all the pieces! :)
One I'd recommend you particularly listen out for is a piece called 'Mermish' by Alex Woolfe which I was very inspired by at the concert, it's a very beautiful piece! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Wonderful; if it is possible, could you post the link of the concert?
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on August 16, 2012, 12:30:54 PM
Wonderful; if it is possible, could you post the link of the concert?

Thank you, Ilaria! :) The concert shall be broadcast on this website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/
If you go to it, and click the 'Listen' button to the right side of the page, you will be able to hear the live broadcast. It shall be starting in around 15 minutes, once this live Prom of VW 6 (which is a brilliant performance by the way if you want to tune in early!) has finished. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on August 16, 2012, 12:37:12 PM
Thank you, Ilaria! :) The concert shall be broadcast on this website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/
If you go to it, and click the 'Listen' button to the right side of the page, you will be able to hear the live broadcast. It shall be starting in around 15 minutes, once this live Prom of VW 6 (which is a brilliant performance by the way if you want to tune in early!) has finished. :)

Thank you, Daniel! :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on August 16, 2012, 12:40:29 PM
Thank you, Daniel! :)

My pleasure, Ilaria!

Unfortunately, it seems they were only playing the winning entries instead of any of the 'highly commended' pieces, which is a bit of a shame.... but I do hope you had a chance to hear 'Mermish' by Alex Woolfe, beautiful piece, was glad to hear that again! :) I think I'll still be getting a recording of my quintet, so I'll make sure to share that with you when I have it. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on August 16, 2012, 01:13:15 PM
My pleasure, Ilaria!

Unfortunately, it seems they were only playing the winning entries instead of any of the 'highly commended' pieces, which is a bit of a shame.... but I do hope you had a chance to hear 'Mermish' by Alex Woolfe, beautiful piece, was glad to hear that again! :) I think I'll still be getting a recording of my quintet, so I'll make sure to share that with you when I have it. :)

I think so, what a pity; of course I listened to Mermish, I agree it's an absolutely brilliant work! About the first two entries I've heard so far, it was that one I enjoyed more. :) Very kind of you, thanks, I'm looking forward to listening to it!

Wait, they're making a collage of the highly commended pieces......which one is yours?

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on August 16, 2012, 01:28:45 PM
I think so, what a pity; of course I listened to Mermish, I agree it's an absolutely brilliant work! About the first two entries I've heard so far, it was that one I enjoyed more. :) Very kind of you, thanks, I'm looking forward to listening to it!

Wait, they're making a collage of the highly commended pieces......which one is yours?

Glad you enjoyed 'Mermish', I was pleased to be able to hear it again! :)

That came as a surprise! Mine was the one that just finished, the string quintet. The second one of the collage :) Very happy a minute of my music has been played on Radio 3, that was worth waiting for!!!!! :) :) :) :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on August 16, 2012, 01:38:27 PM

That came as a surprise! Mine was the one that just finished, the string quintet. The second one of the collage :) Very happy a minute of my music has been played on Radio 3, that was worth waiting for!!!!! :) :) :) :)

Th second one? Ah, then I guessed it! It sounded very good :)

North Star

Quote from: madaboutmahler on August 16, 2012, 01:38:27 PM

And just after I had switched to Martinon's Valses nobles et sentimentales... >:D
Well, I'll just wait for you to post the whole thing here, Daniel.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on August 16, 2012, 01:41:04 PM
Th second one? Ah, then I guessed it! It sounded very good :)

Thank you, Ilaria!
I was so happy that they played some of it, I wasn't expecting them to, but was really 'over the moon' when they did! Very happy indeed!!!! :) To have had my name spoken and an extract of my music played on Radio 3 has just made me so happy, and proud! :)

Quote from: North Star on August 16, 2012, 01:42:35 PM
And just after I had switched to Martinon's Valses nobles et sentimentales... >:D
Well, I'll just wait for you to post the whole thing here, Daniel.

Oh well, I hope you enjoyed what you heard, Karlo! :)
The whole programme will be available on Iplayer, I'll make sure to post the link to that tommorow and post the timings when my music comes in. :) :)

So happy!!!!! :) :) :) :) (hmmm... I wonder what I'll listen to for bringing this wonderful evening to a close... ;D )
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Here is the link to the broadcast:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01m15s2/BBC_Proms_2012_Season_BBC_Proms_Inspire_Young_Composers_Concert/

The broadcast will be available for a week on this website. The excerpt of my piece they played starts 38:30 and lasts until 39.30. And you can hear my name at around 47.10! :) :) :) :)

In other good news, I have been asked by the conductor of the Misbourne Symphony Orchestra to conduct the off stage brass parts in the concert of Mahler 1 coming up in Spring next year!! I'll also be playing percussion in that hopefully! :) :) :) :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

North Star

The excerpt sounded very nice, Daniel.
Congrats on the Mahler job - I suppose your madness is known by the conductor?
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

madaboutmahler

Quote from: North Star on August 17, 2012, 07:16:05 AM
The excerpt sounded very nice, Daniel.
Congrats on the Mahler job - I suppose your madness is known by the conductor?

Thank you very much, Karlo!

And thank you, I suppose he must do! ;) I love being involved with the Misbourne Symphony Orchestra, a very special orchestra to me ever since they premiered my 'Rhapsody for Orchestra' last year! :) (I must post that audio soon....)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

That's wonderful, congratulations on the Mahler job! I would be really keen to see it live. :)

madaboutmahler

— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Today, I spent almost all of the day on composition, and wrote the new piano piece I was talking about. I feel glad to have now written something this summer after quite a long break! It's a very slow, romantic, calm piece lasting just over 4 minutes. I have just sent a message to Keiko Nishizu, who has played some of my earlier works (4 Etudes, Romance for Piano) to see whether she will want to play it. Will let you know!

Very pleased with it! :) :) :) :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Kastchei

Congratulations, Daniel! A lot of good news!

madaboutmahler

Thank you very much, Ruben! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

John Copeland

Here is the excerpt for download and reference, also in case non UK users cannot access it.  What a talent.  Only a minuite long, but blindingly dynamic in every respect.  Brilliant Daniel.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/96826210/DH.mp3

Edit:  Click and "Save link as..."