Hogan's Home

Started by madaboutmahler, December 22, 2011, 01:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Really pleased with the start I've made on the second movement allegro of my violin concerto today, a lot of progress! I was quite nervous about how I was going to start this movement, as it's been a long time since I last wrote an allegro, so I was relieved and glad that it seems to be flowing out!!

Very excited to continue it! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Keep up the good work, Daniel!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

Thanks, guys :)

So happy to announce that after two days of work writing the second movement, it is now finished. Really happy with it, it has a sarcastic aggression representing my feelings to a certain person, but ending in a way that shows the reality of the situation perhaps.

Listening to this over and over, so so happy! It was exciting to write an allegro again! So thrilled about this concerto! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Wow! You write quite fast, Daniel.  It only took you two days to write this movement? What's the duration of this Allegro?

madaboutmahler

haha, when I get really inspired and excited about what I write then I tend to write quite fast! The allegro movement is around 4 minutes long, and is very energetic, quite relentless in most places. Looking forward to showing it to you all.

And so excited to hear Laure play this when it comes to it! One more movement to write! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

madaboutmahler

Looking forward to, Karl!!

Spent the afternoon tidying up some loose ends on the movement, mainly in the orchestration and am completely happy now with the movement. Very excited to show it to my teacher tommorow when we return to Academy, and then to show it to Laure! :)

Right, now to listen to some Mahler :D
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Oh dear, has been almost a whole month since I last posted!!

Revisions over the second movement of the violin concert have been occuring, and am almost ready to move onto the last movement now. We have our school easter holidays coming up soon, so hopefully I may even finish it then!

Have finally uploaded the complete performance of the String Quintet, which was given by members of the Aurora Orchestra last summer at the Royal Academy of Music in a pre-Prom concert. http://www.mediafire.com/?ft0qu0hssudyfai
So happy with the performance, so I hope you may enjoy it! The audio is incredibly quiet here, so please turn up your volume!!

In other news, have gained contact with two orchestras through friends and am sending some work along in the hope that some future projects may be likely. Will keep you updated! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

What a fantastic, hauntingly beautiful composition; I really enjoyed listening to it, great use of the pizzicato!
Excellent job, Daniel! :)

It would be wonderful, I hope those orchestras will decide to perform your works. :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Thank you so much, Ilaria!! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Started work on the last movement of the violin concerto a few days ago, although felt that what I had written was insufficient to start the movement, so tonight has been spent writing a quasi-cadenza like opening to lead into the rest of the movment which will be bringing back many previous ideas in various guises. Very very happy and excited to continue! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Yesterday evening and tonight, had some successful time on the concerto, and I am delighted to say that the last movement is pretty much complete now! I had started again from what I had started a few weeks ago and am so much happier. I am going to title the movement 'Soliloquy'. The composition of the work was happening during quite an eventful few months in my life, and I think the last movement tracks reflection on this, as well as, looking towards the future with hope.

There are a few revisions to make, including a slightly changed middle section for the Presto, and more orchestration in the finale, but I am very close to being able to call the VC completed! Very happy and excited! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

San Antone

Quote from: madaboutmahler on April 22, 2013, 03:08:01 PM
There are a few revisions to make, including a slightly changed middle section for the Presto, and more orchestration in the finale, but I am very close to being able to call the VC completed! Very happy and excited! :)

Congratulations!

:)

Mirror Image

Very good to hear, Daniel! Looking forward to hearing the completed work.

Lisztianwagner

That's wonderful, Daniel, congratulations! :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

madaboutmahler

Thank you all very much! I look forward to showing it to you, especially with Laure performing it!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Had a wonderful recital yesterday in which I played the Brahms A major intermezzo from opus 118 and 2 of my own nocturnes, which were very well received it seems so I was very happy! I'll see if I can get the recording uploaded! One of my academy friends, a wonderful flautist was also performing and after hearing the nocturnes not only wanted to play them but also requested a flute piece from me! Very excited about this as I have been wanting to write for the flute for a long time and she is an outstanding flautist! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven