Vincent d'Indy (1851-1931)!

Started by SonicMan46, November 09, 2008, 12:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: erato on May 08, 2010, 12:47:41 AM
I have that Caaliope set with another cover, and have been proclaiming its greatness on several occasions on this board. Sorry to hear it's OOP.

Yep - not available to me in the USA; now looking on JPC, the 2-CD set below is available for 22 Euros - assume same recordings w/ different cover; but statement is made about a 1-2 week wait (if available!) - plus, JPC has such a large initial shipping rate for me that I need to make a LARGE purchase or one w/ some real bargain boxes included -  :-\

Amfortas

For those interested, a live performance of D'Indy's "L'Étranger'' can be heard here until next week:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01207wj
''Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age.'' - James Joyce (The Dead)

cilgwyn

I had the Auvidis Valois release of D'Indy's Third Symphony. I liked it then. The Chandos release put it up there with my favourite D'Indy works. I lke the humour in the piece. Not a quality you generally associate with D'Indy.
A very enjoyable release. Well worth buying......if you like D'Indy's music.

NB: Off topic. I notice Timpani are releasing a cd of the Maurice Emmanuel symphonies which were once released in a Marco Polo recording. I was sorely tempted to add this to my collection of French symphonic rarities,but always resisted. The Timpani release might just tempt me this time around.

Scion7

The Piano Quintet in g-minor Opus 81 from 1924 is a very interesting work.
Picked up the Marco Polo cd for a song.  Some biographers relegate his chamber music well beneath the orchestral works, but that's not really fair when a piece like this exists.
His Petite Sonata Opus 9 is an engaging sonata for piano.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

snyprrr

Quote from: Scion7 on August 13, 2014, 10:54:31 PM
The Piano Quintet in g-minor Opus 81 from 1924 is a very interesting work.
Picked up the Marco Polo cd for a song.  Some biographers relegate his chamber music well beneath the orchestral works, but that's not really fair when a piece like this exists.
His Petite Sonata Opus 9 is an engaging sonata for piano.

You must find this here VVVVV Complete String Quartets on Calliope. The music, performance,- and the incredible recording which sounds as though you're hearing them in a stairwell whilst hidden and unnoticed. I'd put D'Indy up against quite any number of Composers- It is tough to kick against the pricks.

Quote from: snyprrr on May 07, 2010, 11:59:52 PM
Yes, I love that picture. It's a clear slimline, with that pic on the back inside also (and back outside!). The whole production is just really classy. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes back on Ebay, though. I tell ya, though, if you haven't heard these pieces, the Marco Polo set has stood the test of time. I was almost ready when this set came up.

The only problem is that this makes the rest of d'Indy's chamber output lodge in my imagination. The Sextet is only three mvmts, and much smaller (22mins) than the SQs. I wonder what form his other work takes. I hear good things about the Clarinet (Piano Trio),...was it Op.29? Trio No.2? Piano Quartet? Piano Quintet? Violin Sonata? Piano Sonata? He seems to have one piece in each of the major,...uh, is it 'genres'? Anyway, d'Indy is worth investigating further. This SQ set about makes me weep. Mighty works, all.
Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 08, 2010, 06:18:12 AM
Yep - not available to me in the USA; now looking on JPC, the 2-CD set below is available for 22 Euros - assume same recordings w/ different cover; but statement is made about a 1-2 week wait (if available!) - plus, JPC has such a large initial shipping rate for me that I need to make a LARGE purchase or one w/ some real bargain boxes included -  :-\

I must admit though, I felt like I'd struck liquid gold with D'Indy's Chamber Music, but I still have my suspicions about his Orchestral Music. I mean, either way,- he may be a BadAss, but he still has the reputation as the Ultimate Academic (though I've not heard the piece that calls him out as a note spinning grumpy old man).

SonicMan46

Any LOVE for d'Indy?   ;D  Thread that I started back in 2008 and last posted to in 2014 - by 2010 I had acquired the 4 CDs below in the top row, i.e. nice selection of chamber piecess and the first 3 volumes of his orchestral works w/ Rumon Gamba and the Iceland SO - since then Chandos has put out at least 3 more volumes w/ the same conductor/group (middle row); also Michael Schäfer has recorded 3 volumes of d'Indy's piano compositions (bottom row).  The Gamba recordings were not well received by the Fanfare reviewers (particularly one), BUT much more positive comments from others (including our own Jens L.) - see attachment, if interested.

d'Indy has 105 Opus numbers in his oeuvre and about a dozen or so non-opus works - I was about to 'cull-out' my 4 CDs but listening the last few days and reading the more positive reviews changed my mind - I just ordered a used disc of his String Quartets 1 & 2 w/ the Kodaly Quartet (good review in Fanfare) - NOW do I need to continue w/ the Gamba offerings?  There are no bargains around and none of interest at BRO.

SO, after nearly a decade of neglect, what are some thoughts on this French composer who had some impressive students (ranged from Albéric Magnard, Albert Roussel, Arthur Honegger and Darius Milhaud to Erik Satie and Cole Porter. Source).  Dave :)

VonStupp

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 24, 2022, 07:24:06 AM
Any LOVE for d'Indy?   ;D  Thread that I started back in 2008 and last posted to in 2014 - by 2010 I had acquired the 4 CDs below in the top row, i.e. nice selection of chamber piecess and the first 3 volumes of his orchestral works w/ Rumon Gamba and the Iceland SO - since then Chandos has put out at least 3 more volumes w/ the same conductor/group (middle row); also Michael Schäfer has recorded 3 volumes of d'Indy's piano compositions (bottom row).  The Gamba recordings were not well received by the Fanfare reviewers (particularly one), BUT much more positive comments from others (including our own Jens L.) - see attachment, if interested.

d'Indy has 105 Opus numbers in his oeuvre and about a dozen or so non-opus works - I was about to 'cull-out' my 4 CDs but listening the last few days and reading the more positive reviews changed my mind - I just ordered a used disc of his String Quartets 1 & 2 w/ the Kodaly Quartet (good review in Fanfare) - NOW do I need to continue w/ the Gamba offerings?  There are no bargains around and none of interest at BRO.

SO, after nearly a decade of neglect, what are some thoughts on this French composer who had some impressive students (ranged from Albéric Magnard, Albert Roussel, Arthur Honegger and Darius Milhaud to Erik Satie and Cole Porter. Source).  Dave :)

I am afraid I know much more music from his students than I do D'Indy himself. The lone orchestral work I currently have is Symphony on a French Mountain Air with Charles Münch and Boston posted below. I am afraid the cover art takes the Mountain Air far too literal, regardless of how fresh and clean (and French) it may be!  :laugh:

It looks like the main criticisms of Rumon Gamba is in the lack of heft from the Iceland SO and the washy sound from Chandos. I am sure otherwise, this is an excellent way to explore his music.  :)

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

SonicMan46

Quote from: VonStupp on April 24, 2022, 09:20:28 AM
I am afraid I know much more music from his students than I do D'Indy himself. The lone orchestral work I currently have is Symphony on a French Mountain Air with Charles Münch and Boston posted below. I am afraid the cover art takes the Mountain Air far too literal, regardless of how fresh and clean (and French) it may be!  :laugh:

It looks like the main criticisms of Rumon Gamba is in the lack of heft from the Iceland SO and the washy sound from Chandos. I am sure otherwise, this is an excellent way to explore his music.  :)

VS

Hi VS - Symphony on a French Mountain Air, Op. 25 is a popular d' Indy work and as inserted above was held back until Vol. 5 of Gamba's releases (receives a good review on AllMusic).  For those interested in the music shown in my previous post and are on a streaming music service, then take a look?  I use Spotify and all of the Gamba Chandos' releases and the 3 piano recordings are there.  Dave :)

staxomega

Quote from: VonStupp on April 24, 2022, 09:20:28 AM

VS

I'm a big fan of this performance of Symphony on a French Mountain Air. Quatuor Joachim's recordings of the string quartets are also fabulous, and often in my heavy rotation.