Prokofiev vs. Stravinsky

Started by James, July 05, 2007, 10:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who was the more profound musical creator?

Sergei Prokofiev
18 (64.3%)
Igor Stravinsky
10 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: July 24, 2007, 10:19:47 AM

karlhenning

Guido

Ek begryp jou nie, Kerampewtek, Maa fhamt aleek, Yenku arthaa aathijji.

Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

The Six

持続的な人ってどういう意味と聞いたら、褒め言葉だよと言われました。

greg

Quote from: The Six on October 11, 2008, 02:56:58 PM
持続的な人ってどういう意味と聞いたら、褒め言葉だよと言われました。
That one is a challenge!
I'm sure this is way off, but....... "It's said that dynamic people interpret anything as compliment?"  ???
No you have to correct me! My curiosity will kill me if you don't.

Still gotta figure out how to get that gift card from my bank, so I can get this.
Hopefully, is post Le Sacre-period (well, i guess that'd be most of his life) hasn't produced too much that I've liked, so this is the only way to judge, I suppose.

Guido

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on October 11, 2008, 03:07:22 PM
That one is a challenge!
I'm sure this is way off, but....... "It's said that dynamic people interpret anything as compliment?"  ???
No you have to correct me! My curiosity will kill me if you don't.

Still gotta figure out how to get that gift card from my bank, so I can get this.
Hopefully, is post Le Sacre-period (well, i guess that'd be most of his life) hasn't produced too much that I've liked, so this is the only way to judge, I suppose.

Hmm, well these are great historic recordings, though you may need more modern ones to convince you of all the pieces - Naxos have a very good series of reissues of Craft's recordings (and original recordings of the chamber/piano music). There are so many masterpieces post Le Sacre...
Geologist.

greg

Quote from: Guido on October 11, 2008, 03:11:51 PM
Hmm, well these are great historic recordings, though you may need more modern ones to convince you of all the pieces - Naxos have a very good series of reissues of Craft's recordings (and original recordings of the chamber/piano music). There are so many masterpieces post Le Sacre...
That'll be awhile from now, though..... the only reason I'd get that is because of the price and quantity.  :(
Yeah, I'm sure they all aren't the best recordings- I have heard his recording of the Rite of Spring a long time ago and remember it being the worse I've ever heard.

Guido

Well, it perhaps lacks the polish of other versions, but to me there's something utterly incredible and electric in that performance. Each to their own.
Geologist.

greg

Quote from: Guido on October 11, 2008, 03:22:54 PM
Well, it perhaps lacks the polish of other versions, but to me there's something utterly incredible and electric in that performance. Each to their own.
Whenever I get that set, I'll listen and post my thoughts again- on this thread or Stravinsky's. I mean, it was a few years ago and all I remember is that I didn't think it was intense or I didn't like the sound or something. But I'll see again. 8)

I'm somewhat familiar with this recording- bought it by impulse (a rare event for me) at Borders 3 or 4 years ago.... gave it may 10 or so listens over time. I'm always impressed by everything but the Symphony in C, which does nothing but bore me each time I give it a shot. Is t considered a masterpiece? Maybe this isn't the best recording, anyways?
I'm pretty sure all this is on that set, too, so I might consider giving this one away........(after i get the set, of course)  :D

greg

Quote from: ' on October 11, 2008, 05:24:21 PM
Like so many of the Columbia recordings, it has flaws, and since it is nearly 50 years old now, there are plenty of recordings that can offer a more impressive sonic bang than this one, but like Guido, I also still get a buzz off of this recording (amazing to think that the bassoonist, Loren Glickman,  who plays the opening notes had not played the piece before the recording). 

Yes, all of the big pieces are on the set. I would not attempt to talk you into liking the Symphony in C (and of the three pieces on that recording, I would put it third in line from being considered a masterpiece), but it is something I am always happy to hear. I like that recording okay too, and I have quite a few, and I tend to gravitate towards it when I want to hear it (and the more polished mono one with Cleveland).  I have it on good authority that this is one of the few works recorded for Columbia that you can feel assured is all Stravinsky. There are snippets of the recording session you can find on Strav documentaries, and you get to hear the two puppetmasters of the Stravinsky recordings (Rob't Craft and John McClure) trying to out alpha-male each other in the recording booth.'
Awesome.  :)
That's crazy that the bassoonist hadn't played it before the recording- i don't think i could something like that. Just walk into the recording session, look at the sheet in front of you, and play- something like that takes guts!

71 dB

Quote from: Guido on October 11, 2008, 02:04:41 PM
Again, this is quite astonishing to read. Was the Rite of Spring important? I'm well and truly, completely and totally, consummately flabbergasted.

I am not asking if the work is important, I am asking why it is in order to learn. Stravinsky's music sounds very original and "weird" compared to other music of his time but since I haven't been listening to his music much I don't (yet) have a good understanding of it. Stravinsky's music is light and "cubic" but has a heavy mystical feel in the background. I just haven't had a time period in my life when this kind of music interests me enough to make me explore more. Most part of this year I have been exploring Tangerine Dream and King Crimson. They have done revolutionary and important things too. I regret buying Samuel Arnold's Overtures on Naxos. Lousy simple music with stupid Irish melodies. Who was it here that recommended that S. Arnold disc? Why didn't I buy Stravinsky instead?  :P

I really hope the Ries Piano Concerto CD turns out better.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

greg

Quote from: ' on October 11, 2008, 05:33:00 PM
Sorry, by played, I meant performed the piece. He wasn't sightreading.'
oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  :)

Guido

Quote from: 71 dB on October 12, 2008, 01:31:05 AM
I am not asking if the work is important, I am asking why it is in order to learn.

I am just amazed that anyone who claims to be at all interested in classical music and has listened to it as long as you have been, would be asking such a question. Aside from it completely changing the course of music, it's influence being felt in the work of virtually every major composer of the twentieth century, it is just a masterpiece of the absolutely highest calibre. I feel stupid even typing this.The wiki page is a good background.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rite_of_Spring

Geologist.

Norbeone

....There are so many masterpieces post Le Sacre...

Word.

(though I hate saying 'word'.)    ;D

karlhenning

. . . There are so many masterpieces post Le Sacre...

Svadebka (Les noces)
Symphonies of Wind Instruments
Symphony of Psalms
L'histoire du soldat
Oedipus Rex
Concerto per due pianoforti
Apollon musagète
Orpheus
Perséphone
Violin Concerto
Agon
Canticum sacrum
Requiem Canticles
Threni

And more, yea, more.

The Six

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on October 11, 2008, 03:07:22 PM
That one is a challenge!

I should have used 粘り強い instead of 持続的, as it's a better word to use in describing people. "When I asked what it means to be persistent, I was told it's a compliment."

So I'll be persistent in putting out hope that Stravinsky's music is as good as his influence is, and try some more.

Mark G. Simon

To me, the Symphony of Psalms is as deep and profound a statement as has ever been expressed in music.

greg

Quote from: The Six on October 12, 2008, 11:25:31 AM
I should have used 粘り強い instead of 持続的, as it's a better word to use in describing people. "When I asked what it means to be persistent, I was told it's a compliment."

So I'll be persistent in putting out hope that Stravinsky's music is as good as his influence is, and try some more.
Ah, I get it now! Thanks for the explanation, now I can survive.
The problem was, i forgot how the same word for listen could be the same word for ask. So I got stuck on "listen" and got confused.

Homo Aestheticus

Quote from: James on October 11, 2008, 12:38:03 PMYou may dislike it but some of Stravinsky's 3rd period contains some of his greatest & deepest music!

And like a true master he spent nearly 5 decades continuing to hone and develop his art right up until the very end.

Fair enough, James.

My problem with Stravinsky is that there is not much sensuousness and romanticism in most of his music... And as far as sophistication and refinement goes sorry but  Le Sacre, Agon, Les Noces, Rake's Progress and others do not 'make the cut' in my book. 

karlhenning

Quote from: The Ardent Pelleastre on October 12, 2008, 03:03:18 PM
And as far as sophistication and refinement goes sorry but  Le Sacre, Agon, Les Noces, Rake's Progress and others do not 'make the cut' in my book. 

Your book isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Homo Aestheticus

James,

Until you become intimately familiar with Debussy's exquisite opera you really should not be making those kinds of statements on Stravinsky.