Szykneij

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 06, 2022, 07:47:55 PM
Did he ever return?
No he never returned
And his fate is still unlearn'd
He may ride forever
'neath the streets of New York.
He's the man who never returned.

Apologies to Boston and the Kingston Trio required  :)
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

ritter

Or he might have wandered into the area of 8th Avenue between 42nd and 45th street after all....  :D

T. D.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: ritter on April 07, 2022, 08:05:18 AM
Or he might have wandered into the area of 8th Avenue between 42nd and 45th street after all....  :D

Doesn't look too scary to me..

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7584603,-73.9888705,3a,53.3y,25.32h,95.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sT4tFX0k3l245lgseatR_6A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

:)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

T. D.

Neighborhoods change relatively quickly in NY.
At one time (through early '90s) the "Meatpacking District" (far Northwest Greenwich Village) was the domain of extremely insalubrious streetwalkers and outré sex clubs.
But then it became the trendiest of the trendy.

The aforementioned section of 8th Ave. near Times Sq. holds no interest for me, but I'll bet it's now much less sleazy than in the old days.

Spotted Horses

To be honest, looking at street view headed down Broadway, I'm shocked at the amount of scaffolding and protective barriers. I guess in the old days people were more tolerant of the risk of having a piece of old masonry fall on their head.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vers la flamme

Hahaha, I returned—almost did not make it back as my returning flight was canceled though. Had to buy a ticket at the last minute on a different airline. I had a great time! Went to a couple of museums (the Metropolitan and the Guggenheim, both were awesome), a couple of parks, walked around a lot (absolutely shredded my left foot because I don't think I was wearing appropriate footwear). Ate some incredible food, in Koreatown and in Greenwich Village, and elsewhere. Sadly did not have time for any live music—next time, for sure, I will have to try and get to Carnegie Hall or to the Met. My traveling companion went to graduate school in Manhattan so she was able to show me around quite a bit, so it was good to be accompanied by someone familiar with the place.

MusicTurner

Good to hear! Brings back memories ...

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vers la flamme on April 12, 2022, 03:14:47 AM... My traveling companion went to graduate school in Manhattan so she was able to show me around quite a bit, so it was good to be accompanied by someone familiar with the place.

That's the perfect way to do it. Brings to mind a former forum participant who some here will remember, Ralph Stein, who used to give fabulous walking tours of New York City to anyone who might ask.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vers la flamme on April 12, 2022, 03:14:47 AM
Hahaha, I returned—almost did not make it back as my returning flight was canceled though. Had to buy a ticket at the last minute on a different airline. I had a great time! Went to a couple of museums (the Metropolitan and the Guggenheim, both were awesome), a couple of parks, walked around a lot (absolutely shredded my left foot because I don't think I was wearing appropriate footwear). Ate some incredible food, in Koreatown and in Greenwich Village, and elsewhere. Sadly did not have time for any live music—next time, for sure, I will have to try and get to Carnegie Hall or to the Met. My traveling companion went to graduate school in Manhattan so she was able to show me around quite a bit, so it was good to be accompanied by someone familiar with the place.
Glad that you had a great time!  :)

Sorry about the flight though; any idea as to why it was cancelled?  Will they reimburse you or at least give you some flight credits/voucher?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter