Author Topic: General Harpsichord and Clavichord Thread  (Read 99889 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: General Harpsichord and Clavichord Thread
« Reply #441 on: October 24, 2020, 01:19:43 PM »
Leonhardt made several more Frescobaldi recordings. Has anyone got an opinion of these:

4: Noble playing, perfect, but not as perfect as Vartolo in the same music . (I think you can have degrees of perfection.)

3: Real emotional depth, darkness sometimes, in this one. A great favourite of mine, I play it often.

2: Don’t know this so well, just playing it now and I was struck by the harpsichord, a review on Amazon says it’s a Zell.

1: Can’t remember!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 01:24:33 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline bioluminescentsquid

« Reply #442 on: October 24, 2020, 02:40:20 PM »

this one's done on a revival harpsichord I think. Either that or an 18th century English Kirckman harpsichord?

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #443 on: October 24, 2020, 02:55:56 PM »
this one's done on a revival harpsichord I think. Either that or an 18th century English Kirckman harpsichord?

According to Discogs he uses a Neupert harpsichord (probably the one he used for his first AoF and first Goldberg variations recording) and the organ of the Silbermann Kapelle - of course a misnomer for the organ of the Hofkirche, Silberne Kapelle, Innsbruck. I have never warmed to this recording finding it dull and uninspiring.
It's better to act today than to regret tomorrow.
(Mette Frederiksen)

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #444 on: October 24, 2020, 02:58:25 PM »
4: Noble playing, perfect, but not as perfect as Vartolo in the same music . (I think you can have degrees of perfection.)

3: Real emotional depth, darkness sometimes, in this one. A great favourite of mine, I play it often.

2: Don’t know this so well, just playing it now and I was struck by the harpsichord, a review on Amazon says it’s a Zell.

Agree as to 4 and 3. I haven't heard 2 for ages, and do not recall it clearly.
It's better to act today than to regret tomorrow.
(Mette Frederiksen)

« Reply #445 on: October 24, 2020, 03:21:45 PM »
Ah, this is the Kirckman Frescobaldi recording. His first recording on a historical instrument, before the series of Ahaus Ruckers releases. Anyone heard it? https://www.discogs.com/Girolamo-Frescobaldi-Gustav-Leonhardt-Music-For-Harpsichord/release/12919972

Edit: turns out this is identical to #2. Not a Zell, but it is the Kirckman.

Edit 2: Amazing playing, measured but lively. Although not as nuanced as his later recordings, there's a bit of a naïve joy in them. Very much like his Ahaus Ruckers Froberger recording, which I also like a lot. It really took this sort of playing to convince the public that this music was worth digging out and hearing.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 03:32:50 PM by bioluminescentsquid »

« Reply #446 on: November 10, 2020, 02:31:43 AM »
An upcoming broadcast of Jean Rondeau playing L Couperin and Froberger in homage to the late Verlet - I wonder how he will fare with this music.
https://www.francemusique.fr/emissions/le-concert-de-20h/couperin-froberger-le-claveciniste-jean-rondeau-rend-hommage-a-sa-professeure-regrettee-blandine-verlet-88789

« Reply #447 on: November 10, 2020, 11:43:15 AM »
An upcoming broadcast of Jean Rondeau playing L Couperin and Froberger in homage to the late Verlet - I wonder how he will fare with this music.
https://www.francemusique.fr/emissions/le-concert-de-20h/couperin-froberger-le-claveciniste-jean-rondeau-rend-hommage-a-sa-professeure-regrettee-blandine-verlet-88789

Sometimes it's beautiful, poetic, some times he reminds me of Lang Lang - mannered and superficial. There's a fine line between the two.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 05:33:29 PM by bioluminescentsquid »