General Harpsichord and Clavichord Thread

Started by Geo Dude, January 15, 2012, 10:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on October 24, 2020, 01:19:43 PM
1: Can't remember!

this one's done on a revival harpsichord I think. Either that or an 18th century English Kirckman harpsichord?

premont

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on October 24, 2020, 02:40:20 PM
this one's done on a revival harpsichord I think. Either that or an 18th century English Kirckman harpsichord?

According to Discogs he uses a Neupert harpsichord (probably the one he used for his first AoF and first Goldberg variations recording) and the organ of the Silbermann Kapelle - of course a misnomer for the organ of the Hofkirche, Silberne Kapelle, Innsbruck. I have never warmed to this recording finding it dull and uninspiring.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 24, 2020, 01:19:43 PM
4: Noble playing, perfect, but not as perfect as Vartolo in the same music . (I think you can have degrees of perfection.)

3: Real emotional depth, darkness sometimes, in this one. A great favourite of mine, I play it often.

2: Don't know this so well, just playing it now and I was struck by the harpsichord, a review on Amazon says it's a Zell.

1: Can't remember!

Agree as to 4 and 3. I haven't heard 2 for ages, and do not recall it clearly.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

bioluminescentsquid

Ah, this is the Kirckman Frescobaldi recording. His first recording on a historical instrument, before the series of Ahaus Ruckers releases. Anyone heard it? https://www.discogs.com/Girolamo-Frescobaldi-Gustav-Leonhardt-Music-For-Harpsichord/release/12919972

Edit: turns out this is identical to #2. Not a Zell, but it is the Kirckman.

Edit 2: Amazing playing, measured but lively. Although not as nuanced as his later recordings, there's a bit of a naïve joy in them. Very much like his Ahaus Ruckers Froberger recording, which I also like a lot. It really took this sort of playing to convince the public that this music was worth digging out and hearing.

bioluminescentsquid

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on November 10, 2020, 01:31:43 AM
An upcoming broadcast of Jean Rondeau playing L Couperin and Froberger in homage to the late Verlet - I wonder how he will fare with this music.
https://www.francemusique.fr/emissions/le-concert-de-20h/couperin-froberger-le-claveciniste-jean-rondeau-rend-hommage-a-sa-professeure-regrettee-blandine-verlet-88789

Sometimes it's beautiful, poetic, some times he reminds me of Lang Lang - mannered and superficial. There's a fine line between the two.

Mandryka

When this came out in 2019 I remember being very impressed by the angle - basically Royer is often presented as a sort of empfindsamer stil avant la letter. It's a very enjoyable contrast to Rousset's more operatic view, I prefer Hayashi to both Rousset's offerings in fact, though that's a matter of taste obvs. Perfect music for a sunny p.m. in April in London, maybe it would be even more perfect (I know . . . contradiction in terms) for a languid August.

These petits maîtres like Royer can be every bit as fun as the grands.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

I think this is very enjoyable playing - a few instruments by the sound of it but I can't find any details. His first release by the looks of it, and it has all the hallmarks we've come to expect from this musician: poetry, a taste for chromaticism, fantasy, virtuosity. In fact I can't even find a proper list of tracks, though it's familiar stuff by Weckmann, Froberger, Buxtehude, Bach, though be warned, there's some Handel and CPE Bach too. Worth hearing I think, you can't ever go wrong with Marcin Swiatkiewicz.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on June 01, 2021, 10:24:23 AM

I think this is very enjoyable playing - a few instruments by the sound of it but I can't find any details. His first release by the looks of it, and it has all the hallmarks we've come to expect from this musician: poetry, a taste for chromaticism, fantasy, virtuosity. In fact I can't even find a proper list of tracks, though it's familiar stuff by Weckmann, Froberger, Buxtehude, Bach, though be warned, there's some Handel and CPE Bach too. Worth hearing I think, you can't ever go wrong with Marcin Swiatkiewicz.

Looks as if it is impossible to find (unknown Polish label?). I have heard his GV, which wasn't just my cup of tea. Too much polish and too deliberately "sensational" approach I think. But the one you posted may be more interesting.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Looking forward to this September release:

milk

I didn't know where to put this. It's mostly reconstructed organs but also harpsichord. It's supposed to be very early music.

Mandryka

I think that Silvia Rambaldi is the real deal. Fra Gioseffo's book contains music by Frescobaldi, Andrea Gabrieli, Pasquini, Merula etc etc etc. A delightful anthology recording.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on December 06, 2021, 11:21:43 AM

I think that Silvia Rambaldi is the real deal. Fra Gioseffo's book contains music by Frescobaldi, Andrea Gabrieli, Pasquini, Merula etc etc etc. A delightful anthology recording.

Yes, indeed  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8908155--bach-and-friends

Nice instruments here - the organ is new, neo-baroque or almost, beautiful sound, it's in a place called Ciboure near Saint Jean de Luz. The harpsichord is a copy of an 18th century German harpsichord. Lovely recording and playing I'd say, de Camboulas is well aware of the contrapuntality of the music - including in the aria Sebaldina  - and he has chosen some gorgeous registrations for Muffat.

You need to hear this one.

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on December 06, 2021, 11:21:43 AM

Has he released any solo recordings since 2013?  I can only find one duo album from 2020 of music by Francesco Mancini on Spotify and not even that on Amazon Music.

Mandryka

Quote from: San Antone on August 07, 2022, 08:56:48 AM
Has he released any solo recordings since 2013?  I can only find one duo album from 2020 of music by Francesco Mancini on Spotify and not even that on Amazon Music.

She.

Yes there's a nice Pasquini cd and there's a recording of music by someone called Ferrandini.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on August 07, 2022, 10:24:42 AM
Yes there's a nice Pasquini cd and there's a recording of music by someone called Ferrandini.

Only posted about it at least six times...  8)

Quote from: Que on August 18, 2018, 12:40:42 AM

Neapolitan Antonio Ferradini in unadulterated Rococo style/ Stile Galante.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2009/Feb09/ferradini_TC713101.htm

http://mldd.blogspot.com/2018/02/antonio-ferradini-300-years.html

Q

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on August 07, 2022, 10:24:42 AM

Spotify shows that as from 2013, but the Music-Web International review appears to be from 2009.

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on August 07, 2022, 10:44:47 AM
Only posted about it at least six times...  8)

It sounds very sweet! Just not the style of music which I'm very interested in at the moment.  I haven't really managed to enjoy the Pasquini for some reason, I may give it another go soon.

On the other hand I just stumbled across what seems like a really lovely CD of hers, called Madrigali Per Laura Peperara - stuff by de Waert, Luzzaschi etc. As always the voices have to appeal and one of the singers does (don't know her name, maybe Silvia Frogato)

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on August 07, 2022, 07:51:16 AM

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8908155--bach-and-friends

Nice instruments here - the organ is new, neo-baroque or almost, beautiful sound, it's in a place called Ciboure near Saint Jean de Luz. The harpsichord is a copy of an 18th century German harpsichord. Lovely recording and playing I'd say, de Camboulas is well aware of the contrapuntality of the music - including in the aria Sebaldina  - and he has chosen some gorgeous registrations for Muffat.

You need to hear this one.

Very nice Bohm here - possibly my favourite Vater Unser, at least it is while listening to it.