General Harpsichord and Clavichord Thread

Started by Geo Dude, January 15, 2012, 10:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Quote from: PaulSC on January 22, 2012, 09:16:30 AM
I'm impressed that you figured this out in spite of my misremembering both her first and her last name!

::) Duh. He's premont!

;)
Regards,
Navneeth

PaulSC

Quote from: Geo Dude on January 22, 2012, 04:07:30 AM
Where did you order the Mortensen?  I'm certainly interested in a player that makes good use of the lute stop.

First I spotted it at iTunes. I have no problem buying compressed audio files, but the track names were hopelessly mixed up to the point where I worried the content might be incomplete. So I placed the rather expensive double CD at Amazon (around $45) in my shopping cart. But at the last minute I figured out the pattern to the track-name errors at iTunes, so I went ahead and completed my purchased there. (For the benefit of anyone else buying this format, I posted a review at the iTunes Store that supplies the correct track names.)
Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

milk

Quote from: PaulSC on January 22, 2012, 09:16:30 AM
Yes indeed, and I'm impressed that you figured this out in spite of my misremembering both her first and her last name!
Thanks. I haven't even spent much time previewing John Paul's recordings. It seems as if the lute harpsichord just isn't for me.
I like the lute-harpsichord very occasionally and only on some works. Robert Hill has some nice (Bach) recordings on the Lute-harpsichord. 
I put it on once a year or so.

Geo Dude

Quote from: PaulSC on January 21, 2012, 05:02:24 PM
Perhaps surprisingly, I've never been entirely happy with the lute harpsichord. There is something too squeaky-clean about the sound of Keith Hill's instruments in particular, based on what I've heard from Robert Hill and Lisa Crawford. I suspect I would get along better with John Paul's Bach series. But I wonder if fatigue would set in listening to such a distinctive sound; the lute stop has the advantage of being deployed more sparingly as a special coloration in the context of the harpsichord performance.

You are certainly not alone here.  Upon hearing samples of Robert Hill's recording of Bach on the lute harpsichord I promptly rushed out and bought it, dazzled by the beauty of the instrument.  I very quickly discovered that listening to an entire CD of music played on that instrument is an entirely different prospect from listening to samples.

milk

Quote from: Geo Dude on January 23, 2012, 04:30:25 AM
You are certainly not alone here.  Upon hearing samples of Robert Hill's recording of Bach on the lute harpsichord I promptly rushed out and bought it, dazzled by the beauty of the instrument.  I very quickly discovered that listening to an entire CD of music played on that instrument is an entirely different prospect from listening to samples.
I feel the same way. I like it in very small doses.

Geo Dude

I listened to a bit of this album earlier today.  Fandango is stunning!  I was mesmerized for the full ten minutes.

On that note, any thoughts on Pieter-Jan Belder?  The man seems to be a fine harpsichordist with a wide range of talents.  His Rameau and Bach get great reviews and I think he holds his own in Scarlatti next to Scott Ross, though I haven't done enough listening to place myself squarely in either camp.  He also seems to serve as Brilliant's in-house accompanist.

Que

Re: Belder

His Soler and his Bach Partitas - that is as far as I got myself, and both are outstanding! :) Not that fond of his Scarlatti, but I recall commenting o that before.

Anyway, Iberian harpsichord music is not only a big empty hole in my collection but seems to be a big omission in performances on record in general!  :o

This new recording of harpsichord music by the Portuguese composer José António Carlos de Seixas therefore seems (and sounds) all the more attractive. Does anyone know it?

[asin]B00563YJI0[/asin]

samples at Passacaille

Q

Geo Dude

I'm certainly aware of a divide in Scarlatti fans that's split into the Ross and Belder camps, Que.  And then there's Hantai there to throw a wrench in the gears, too (assuming one is not a completist)... ;D

In any case, I am unfamiliar with this disc but am certainly interested.  It's been wish listed for now.  Surely, though, some honorable soul will take a bullet for the rest of us harpsichord fanatics and order it! 

(Harry...?)

Leo K.

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on February 04, 2012, 04:16:39 AM
Re: Belder

His Soler and his Bach Partitas - that is as far as I got myself, and both are outstanding! :) Not that fond of his Scarlatti, but I recall commenting o that before.

Anyway, Iberian harpsichord music is not only a big empty hole in my collection but seems to be a big omission in performances on record in general!  :o

This new recording of harpsichord music by the Portuguese composer José António Carlos de Seixas therefore seems (and sounds) all the more attractive. Does anyone know it?

[asin]B00563YJI0[/asin]

samples at Passacaille

Q

I am also really interested in José António Carlos de Seixas.

I haven't heard the recording you mention, but I have a recording performed by Anne Robert (released 1993).

I have volume 1, but can't find the cover artwork for this OOP recording. Here is Vol.2:

SonicMan46

Quote from: Geo Dude on February 01, 2012, 05:53:38 PM

I listened to a bit of this album earlier today.  Fandango is stunning!  I was mesmerized for the full ten minutes.

On that note, any thoughts on Pieter-Jan Belder? ..........................

Just picked up Vol. 3 of the Soler double-disc sets w/ Belder - the first 2 volumes are excellent - have yet to give set 3 a listen but expect the same -  :)

Geo Dude

Any thoughts on this recording?  Not just 'good', 'great', 'bad', or what have you, but on the style of the music?  Is it baroque?  pre-baroque?  For that matter, any non-Watchorn fans can feel free to recommend other works by Dr. Bull.

[asin]B001VM0LGE[/asin]

By the way, this guy seems to have lived 'the life.'  I found this story in particular very amusing (from Wiki):

"In 1597 his appointment to Gresham College required him to [...] give an inaugural lecture during the second week of June in the presence of the mayor, the aldermen, the Bishop of London and the master and warden of the Mercers Company. Fearful of losing his readership because his assigned rooms were still occupied by Gresham's stepson, William Reade, he forced an entry to the rooms by engaging a mason to help him break down a wall, which led to an action against Bull in Star Chamber."

Que

See you already went for the Bull! :)

Anyway, my favourite Renaissance set is the William Byrd keyboard works set by Davitt Moroney.

A search of the forum will undoubtedly reveal many posts - it was discussed as a favourite of quite a few posters a year ago or so! :) A terrific set with an array of keyboard instruments - strongly recommended.

{EDIT}

Q

petrarch

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on February 04, 2012, 10:26:32 AM
PS the price at Amazon US seems rather steep. At the time a nice bargain at jpc triggered the interest here - maybe look around a bit to get a good deal.

Here's the reissue, at $70 (I managed to get it direct from Amazon for about $50 about a year ago). Or you can go to the marketplace and find it for about $40.

[asin]B003UW6WEI[/asin]
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Geo Dude

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on February 04, 2012, 10:26:32 AM
See you already went for the Bull! :)

Indeed, my goal wasn't to get recommendations so much as to open a discussion on a lesser-known recording/composer.  And to sort out my confusion whether he qualifies as Renaissance era or a Baroque transition.

QuoteAnyway, my favourite Renaissance set is the William Byrd keyboard works set by Davitt Moroney.

Thanks for the information.  It's been wish listed.

Leo K.

I'm getting acqainted with Antonio Soler slowly but surely. First, with Gilbert Rowland on his Naxos series (my introduction to Soler), and second, through Bob Van Asperen's revelatory set of the complete harpsichord works:

A beautiful recording, and I love the tone of the two harpsichord's used. Stunning sounds.

8)

Geo Dude

If you can afford to try out another performer I highly recommend Belder's set, the first volume at least.  He does a wonderful job with really driving home the rhythm without taking it too far.

By the way, Leo, it seems like it's about time for you to report back on your experience with Borgstede's Handel set. :)

Leo K.

Quote from: Geo Dude on February 05, 2012, 02:25:15 PM
If you can afford to try out another performer I highly recommend Belder's set, the first volume at least.  He does a wonderful job with really driving home the rhythm without taking it too far.

By the way, Leo, it seems like it's about time for you to report back on your experience with Borgstede's Handel set. :)

You're right! I will have a refresh listen and report back soon. I am also listening to Scott Ross's account so will do a quick comparison  8)

Geo Dude

I'm pretty sure we're all familiar with the Belder/Ross debate when it comes to Scarlatti recordings, but I think that other harpsichordists tend to get passed by when many people fall into one of those two camps.  Who are some of the other great Scarlatti experts out there?  Hantai immediately comes to mind with his four discs (one early disc + his three more well known discs on Mirare), and I'm sure there are others I'm unfamiliar with.

milk

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on February 04, 2012, 02:20:13 PM
I see I mistook the original for the reissue! :-\ 40 dollars looks much better - it's worth every penny.

Q
The Moroney is great. This is also an enjoyable recording.
Sempe plays Byrd, Bull and Dowland - among others - on virginals and harpsichords.
Pierre Hantai and Olivier Fortin also play on a few of the tracks (some tracks have 2 and 3 keyboard instruments).

Geo Dude

Is anyone familiar with this recording?  It looks fascinating.

[asin]B0002VYF2Q[/asin]