General Harpsichord and Clavichord Thread

Started by Geo Dude, January 15, 2012, 10:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on March 07, 2013, 09:13:13 PM
There's a CD on spotify called "C.P.E. Bach: Rêveries pour connaisseurs et amateurs" by Jocelyne Cuiller which is stuffed with delicious music, more in the style I like than most of the wq63 sonatas, and played on a real nice sounding clavichord, with no nasty buzzing bass.

That CD has led me to think that I really need to hear the music CPEB wrote "Für Kenner und liebhaber", so I've ordered a big box by Gabor Antallfy, which is reviewed very positively by someone who sounds quite informed (or more informed than me) on amazon.co.uk. ( The CD, by the way, is very cheap through amazon.de. The German site is often seriously  cheaper than anywhere else, I've no idea why.)

Cuiller really brings out the drama in CPE. Very interesting recording!

Mandryka

What I like about the music in that Cuiller CD is that the drama comes from harmonic colour. It reminds me of Gesualdo. Cuiller has recorded another CD of CPEB sonatas -- this time the music seems more conventionally Sturm und Drang, but that's not a problem. Some of them sound very much like Haydn. It's clear to me that CPEB is a major composer of keyboard music, probably of other stuff too -- he doesn't deserve his bad reputation at all.

Yukio, by the way, is Yukio Mishima. Cuiller argues that there's a strong affinity between Mishima and CPEB. I like that sort of thing!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on March 10, 2013, 10:23:29 PM
What I like about the music in that Cuiller CD is that the drama comes from harmonic colour. It reminds me of Gesualdo. Cuiller has recorded another CD of CPEB sonatas -- this time the music seems more conventionally Sturm und Drang, but that's not a problem. Some of them sound very much like Haydn. It's clear to me that CPEB is a major composer of keyboard music, probably of other stuff too -- he doesn't deserve his bad reputation at all.

Yukio, by the way, is Yukio Mishima. Cuiller argues that there's a strong affinity between Mishima and CPEB. I like that sort of thing!
How very strange! I've come to really dislike Mishima. But I won't hold it against Cuiller.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on March 11, 2013, 05:19:06 AM
I didn't realize he had a bad reputation.

???

I was going to say that. I have never heard anything but high praise for CPE. Every keyboard composer through Beethoven attributed their basic understanding of the Art to CPE.  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mandryka

Schumann was negative about him. If you go to the CPEB thread here you'll see some negative suggestions.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Geo Dude

This is a great one for the CPE Bach fans to look into.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mandryka on March 11, 2013, 08:04:23 AM
Schumann was negative about him.

Well, you can't take as minted gold the negative opinion of one of those flighty Romantics.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on March 11, 2013, 08:37:23 AM
I can't get to the C.P.E. Bach thread, I get this message:

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.

Although I thoroughly enjoy and respect Robert Schumann as a composer, I am unswayed by his opinion.  C.P.E. Bach is (IMHO) a very important composer who is, unfortunately, underrated.

:)

See if this link helps;

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,10407.0.html

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on May 21, 2013, 10:32:45 AM
Works; thanks, Gurn.  Don't know what was going on when I posted my earlier trouble getting in.

:)

Weren't holding your tongue right is all... :)

The key to unlocking CPE Bach has eluded many men.  :D

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on May 21, 2013, 11:31:58 AM
The problem is that the CPE Bach link in the Composer Index is broken.  It is a different URL from the one you posted:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,13178.0.html

And leads to the error message.

Is there anyway to edit the bad link with the one that works?

Sure.

*fiddles about*

Done!

8)

Opus106

A review I was reading contained this observation: Pay close attention to this recording, and you will hear the sound of a canary (or some such songbird) trilling along to the music. I could readily imagine what he was referring to, as I have many times heard something that would fit that description quite well and wondered what it was. Is it some part of mechanism of the instrument that's making the sound?
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on May 21, 2013, 09:07:34 PM
A review I was reading contained this observation: Pay close attention to this recording, and you will hear the sound of a canary (or some such songbird) trilling along to the music. I could readily imagine what he was referring to, as I have many times heard something that would fit that description quite well and wondered what it was. Is it some part of mechanism of the instrument that's making the sound?

Is it a harpsichord or a clavichord, Nav? They operate on entirely different principles, and I can't think of a way that the harpsichord could make that sort of sound, but a fretless clavichord might. :)

8)

Opus106

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 22, 2013, 04:10:45 AM
Is it a harpsichord or a clavichord, Nav? They operate on entirely different principles, and I can't think of a way that the harpsichord could make that sort of sound, but a fretless clavichord might. :)

8)

I usually hear it in recordings involving harpsichords, and the review refers to one as well. (I'll see if I can upload a sample/find a YouTube link.)
Regards,
Navneeth

Que

I'm intrigued by this disc with early Italian harpsichord music and the samples sound good - anyone familiar with this recording or composer? :)

[asin]B0027029NM[/asin]

Review Johan van Veen

Q

Mookalafalas

I've been reading through this thread out of curiosity. I know pretty much nothing about the topic.  I do know the name Leonhardt,  however, and I think he's only mentioned once in this thread so far.  Is there any reason? Like A). Everyone knows he's awesome so we don't even need to mention him, or B). He's a tedious reactionary dinosaur and we refuse to sully the pages of this thread with his name...

I hope it's not B), because after reading about the topic here and having my curiosity piqued, I bought his 15 disc Sony box.  It should be here in a week or two.  Should I be excited-- or cursing my rashness :(
It's all good...

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mookalafalas

Quote from: karlhenning on January 09, 2014, 05:36:58 AM
I like that box a great deal.

Good to know [imagine icon sighing with relief here]. 
It's all good...

milk

Quote from: Baklavaboy on January 09, 2014, 05:32:02 AM
I've been reading through this thread out of curiosity. I know pretty much nothing about the topic.  I do know the name Leonhardt,  however, and I think he's only mentioned once in this thread so far.  Is there any reason? Like A). Everyone knows he's awesome so we don't even need to mention him, or B). He's a tedious reactionary dinosaur and we refuse to sully the pages of this thread with his name...

I hope it's not B), because after reading about the topic here and having my curiosity piqued, I bought his 15 disc Sony box.  It should be here in a week or two.  Should I be excited-- or cursing my rashness :(
I think you'll find that if you search the site, instead of just the thread, he's mentioned quite a lot.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: milk on January 10, 2014, 03:05:57 AM
I think you'll find that if you search the site, instead of just the thread, he's mentioned quite a lot.

I guess I've been lurking in the wrong places ;)   Actually, my friend Billy Torrential just helped me get a copy of the Teldec/Das Altewerk box, and I'm pretty impressed.  As often seems to be the case these days, it's almost too much of a good thing--there aren't enough hours in the day to listen to everything.
It's all good...

milk

Quote from: Baklavaboy on January 10, 2014, 03:19:23 AM
   I guess I've been lurking in the wrong places ;)   Actually, my friend Billy Torrential just helped me get a copy of the Teldec/Das Altewerk box, and I'm pretty impressed.  As often seems to be the case these days, it's almost too much of a good thing--there aren't enough hours in the day to listen to everything.
His English Suites, WTC (I&II), Partitas, and (versions of) Goldberg Variations are all wonderful. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone disagree with that view on this site. I think his French Suites are fine as well. I don't seem to get around to some of the other recordings as much as I want to. I have some recordings with fine performances of Rameau, the Couperins, etc.