General Harpsichord and Clavichord Thread

Started by Geo Dude, January 15, 2012, 10:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king ubu

Never bought any of those alpha reissues ... looks kinda cheap, is it? Or does it come with the regular luxurious booklet?
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Moonfish

Quote from: king ubu on June 30, 2014, 12:27:36 AM
Never bought any of those alpha reissues ... looks kinda cheap, is it? Or does it come with the regular luxurious booklet?

Don't know yet..  ::)   but will report when it arrives. Alpha is kind of cheap in the first place apart from the pretty pictures and the excellent booklet. Still, most Alphas tend to be accessible for below $15.
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

North Star

Quote from: king ubu on June 30, 2014, 12:27:36 AM
I've never even seen a cheapo alpha reissue, or read of them. But count me interested in this matter, as Frisch's Rameau is something I'd definitely like to get, as cheap as possible..
Quote from: Moonfish on June 30, 2014, 12:34:34 AM
Don't know yet..  ::)   but will report when it arrives. Alpha is kind of cheap in the first place apart from the pretty pictures and the excellent booklet. Still, most Alphas tend to be accessible for below $15.
Huh?
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Moonfish

Quote from: North Star on June 30, 2014, 03:12:11 AM
I've never even seen a cheapo alpha reissue, or read of them. But count me interested in this matter, as Frisch's Rameau is something I'd definitely like to get, as cheap as possible..Huh?

Not the recordings...  :D
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mandryka

Quote from: Drasko on June 28, 2014, 11:57:44 AM
I know, she is consistently on slow side of things, but there is (or at least I find it) certain languid sensuousness in her playing that almost always works for me.

Thanks for reminding me, I've been meaning to give a spin to Céline Frisch, the Alpha Rameau disc, since that program. BBC reviewer really hated some of her interpretative choices, but I don't remember anything being that questionable. I agreed with him on Baumont being anonymous and boring, but now, week later have no recollection of Pinnock (whom he loved). Have you heard Frederic Haas? I liked the excerpts, but I heard him once live and wasn't particularly impressed.

I haven't heard Haas's Rameau but I enjoyed the F. Couperin he recorded a lot, contemplative and inward. Note that Frisch uses the 1750 Hemsch too. Frisch is less hedonistic than Rannou, better recorded (with Rannou the instrument is so close it's like you're going to drown in it.) And I think that Frisch's way of playing notes inégales is more natural and more noble, if less sensual and languid.

Another one to think about, she's good, is Noelle Spieth. I'm less keen on Rannou than everyone else it seems.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Geo Dude

Quote from: Moonfish on June 28, 2014, 12:39:07 PM
Johann Sebastian Bach: Das Wohltemperierte Clavier - II      Vieru     (3 cds)

Less than $8 on the Amazon MP

[asin] B000F0H4BI[/asin]

Unfortunately, this is a piano recording.  Just sayin'.

Sammy

Quote from: Geo Dude on July 01, 2014, 08:02:22 AM
Unfortunately, this is a piano recording.  Just sayin'.

Yes, but a stunning piano recording.

Geo Dude

Quote from: Sammy on July 01, 2014, 09:54:18 AM
Yes, but a stunning piano recording.

Listed on the harpsichord thread... ;)  Still, happy to know that it's a great deal for the piano buffs among us. :)

Moonfish

Quote from: Geo Dude on July 01, 2014, 05:25:08 PM
Listed on the harpsichord thread... ;)  Still, happy to know that it's a great deal for the piano buffs among us. :)

Oh----  ooops!!    :-[
Anna Lappé

Geo Dude

Quote from: Moonfish on July 01, 2014, 08:17:58 PM
Oh----  ooops!!    :-[

I gotta admit, it surprised me!  That label is usually HIP as hell.

Kontrapunctus

I highly recommend Bob van Asperen's three volumes of Louis Couperin Suites on the Aeolus label. Fantastic playing and demonstration-worthy sound, particularly if you have a multi-channel SACD system. I'm sure it sounds fine on a normal stereo, too!

Mandryka

I like Louis Couperin a lot. You know there are so many interesting "complete" sets of Louis Couperin now, Asperen as you say, but also Egarr  and Moroney and Verlet. I can certainly see why you like Asperen so much - he's so intense sometimes, focussed hypnotically on the music.

Asperen's style is like the busy electric style that Hantaï probably invented. Egarr is more zen, more space, and I'd say his commitment and intensity is no less palpable than Asperen's. Both Asperen and Egarr see much of this music as having a principal melody. Verlet is intersting because her textures sometimes give more like an equal prominence to each musical line. And she plays zen style too

There's Moroney and Rousset too - I haven't really explored what they do as much. And in fact Egarr recorded some of the music twice. And if you move from complete sets there are plenty of other interesting recordings - Noelle Spieth is very interesting, as is Jovanka Marville, Leonhardt, Sempé and Cummings.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on July 10, 2014, 09:34:47 PM
intense...focussed hypnotically on the music.

Perfect! And Sempe is lush. These are some of my favorite recordings in my collection. Egarr never grabbed me so much. As much as I like the other French guys, I'd take Louis if I had to choose. A lot of people I know just don't like the harpsichord. I think these represent the best chance to convince them. 

Mookalafalas

I haven't gotten the Couperin yet, but stumbled onto Asperen's 4 disc set of the J.S. Bach Harpsichord concertos and am very impressed.  I normally mix up my genres quite a bit, but played all four of these in succession and wished there was more. 

[asin]B00002ZZ56[/asin]
It's all good...

Mandryka

I first became aware of the Zentis 1658 through Martha Folts's record of music by Frescobaldi on Naxos, and just a few days I found an equally valuable recording of Fröberger's music by Pamela Ruiter-Feenstra which uses it. What's impressive not just the beauty of the sound, but also the clarity and balance of treble, midrange and bass. The bass especially. The result is that Ruiter-Feenstra's CD reveals that Fröberger could write music which is contrapuntally very inventive. And that, combined with her feel for the gestures and phrases in the music, and her poised and calm approach to ornamentation and rubato,  makes her CD a worthwhile one IMO.

The Folts Feescobaldi CD is less closely recorded and hence probably gives a truer impression of the sound of the Zentis.

More on the Zentis here:

http://www.keithhillharpsichords.com/1658dezentis.html

Mookalafalas

Just got this in the mail. I'm only on my second disc, but WOW.  What joie de vivre.  Charming, delightful, and energetic.  This could turn anyone into a harpsichord enthusiast. 
[asin]B0009MWAVQ[/asin]
It's all good...

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on July 30, 2014, 02:38:51 AM

I first became aware of the Zentis 1658 through Martha Folts's record of music by Frescobaldi on Naxos, and just a few days I found an equally valuable recording of Fröberger's music by Pamela Ruiter-Feenstra which uses it. What's impressive not just the beauty of the sound, but also the clarity and balance of treble, midrange and bass. The bass especially. The result is that Ruiter-Feenstra's CD reveals that Fröberger could write music which is contrapuntally very inventive. And that, combined with her feel for the gestures and phrases in the music, and her poised and calm approach to ornamentation and rubato,  makes her CD a worthwhile one IMO.

More on the Zentis here:

http://www.keithhillharpsichords.com/1658dezentis.html
I put it on because of your post and quite enjoyed it. I like how Froberger's music seems life 3am. Or perhaps it's Ruiter-Feenstra that's giving it that quality for me. She is very mellow without being bland at all, not as intimate as my Verlet but also not as quirky sounding. There's an effect of otherworldliness to the way Ruiter-Feenstra interprets the music. It's nice to re-appreciate Froberger. I need to go back through it and see what's what. I have Verlet, Staier, Rousset, Rotaru and Klosiewicz, yet it's been so long I can't say which I like best. Verlet seems like a bit of a challenge. Staier never stuck. Klosiewicz did stick with me...especially his no. 12 Allemande. Gosh Froberger is deliciously melancholy.       

milk

Logic would seem to suggest I didn't need another Froberger recording but I decided to purchase this tonight:

HIPster

Quote from: Baklavaboy on July 30, 2014, 03:06:38 AM
Just got this in the mail. I'm only on my second disc, but WOW.  What joie de vivre.  Charming, delightful, and energetic.  This could turn anyone into a harpsichord enthusiast. 
[asin]B0009MWAVQ[/asin]

<Raises hand>

Exactly my story.   :laugh:

Great set, glad you are enjoying it.
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on July 30, 2014, 06:19:41 AM
Logic would seem to suggest I didn't need another Froberger recording but I decided to purchase this tonight:

Ah. You've got to be able to understand German to really get the most out of that CD.