The Borodin Boardroom

Started by BachQ, April 12, 2007, 08:33:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

The core pieces are the 2nd symphony, 2nd string quartet, and Polovetsian dances (even better with choir). Borodin really was a part-time composer (chemistry professor), so he didn't write a lot. The 1st symphony and string quartet are also quite good, the other chamber music mentioned above worth trying if one likes the style.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Owen David

I only knew the Polovetsian Dances, which I love for their beguiling melodies. I do need to investigate more!

Roasted Swan

I'm sure this will make any/all Borodin purists twitch - I love Kismet!  What a great piece of Hollywood Hokum.  Wrong by modern standards on just about every level - mauling Borodin's music, stereotyping women and cultures.....  BUT, if you can put all that to one side and listen to the music as just a bit of operettaish whimsy its just glorious.  The way Wright & Forrest metamorphed Borodin's wonderful tunes into something quite different is pure brilliant kitsch.  The complete recording here

is excellent because all the performers are absolutely top notch and play it for all its worth.  The Philharmonia sound fantastic and all the Hollywood style new orchestrations by Arthur Kay come up perfectly OTT.  If it were done less well it would be naff.  Big bonus is to hear the great and much missed Bruce Hubbard on the filler tracks from the (non-Borodin) Timbuktu

Franco_Manitobain

"Unpopular opinion" it may be, but I much prefer String Quartet No. 1 over the more popular 2nd.

Franco_Manitobain

By the way, are there any recordings of the full string quartet dedicated to Beliaeff, better known as the B-La-F quartet?

It included contributions by Rimsky-Korsakov, Glazunov, Liadov and Borodin.

Borodin's movement was the Serenata alla spanola

kyjo

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on May 25, 2023, 04:25:06 AM"Unpopular opinion" it may be, but I much prefer String Quartet No. 1 over the more popular 2nd.

It's certainly a underrated work, and I definitely prefer its thrilling, syncopated finale to the respective movement of the the 2nd quartet (it's definitely the weakest movement of that work IMO).
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on April 27, 2023, 06:18:57 AMAnyone have any thoughts on this chamber music set?

I was just sampling it on Spotify, and I found the performances distinctly lacking in just about every important factor - appealing sonority, rhythmic verve, artistic phrasing, any sense of "Slavic" character, etc. Borodin's soulful music deserves much better. There aren't too many alternative recordings for some of the lesser-known works, but they do exist and are always preferable to the ones in this Brilliant set. "Brilliant" in terms of cheapness, convenience, and completeness, yes - but not in terms of performance quality... ::) ;D
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on May 27, 2023, 09:05:28 AM"Brilliant" in terms of cheapness, convenience, and completeness, yes - but not in terms of performance quality... ::) ;D

I can relate to that. I've come across several of those recordings (their original productions, not the reissues of other labels) and they leave much to be desired.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Franco_Manitobain

Quote from: kyjo on May 27, 2023, 09:05:28 AMI was just sampling it on Spotify, and I found the performances distinctly lacking in just about every important factor - appealing sonority, rhythmic verve, artistic phrasing, any sense of "Slavic" character, etc. Borodin's soulful music deserves much better. There aren't too many alternative recordings for some of the lesser-known works, but they do exist and are always preferable to the ones in this Brilliant set. "Brilliant" in terms of cheapness, convenience, and completeness, yes - but not in terms of performance quality... ::) ;D

I for one am really enjoying these "brilliant" performances. 😁

Nevertheless Kyle, do you have recommendations for performances of the lesser known chamber works (outside of the two string quartets)?