Wilhelm Stenhammar (1871-1927)

Started by Mirror Image, January 24, 2012, 09:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

The concertos and symphonies have been covered very well, and the string quartets have rightly been mentioned, too. For further exploration of this very sensitive composer I suggest going for these:

Neal mentioned this disc before. It's a most enticing collection of Stenhammar works in different genres. The Song is IMHO his best work. The 2 Sentimental Romances are on the same plane as Reger's, if a bit less impassioned. Strongly recommended.

Other excellent discs to explore include these:

A wonderful collection of his songs, with a young von Otter, heard here at her best. Hagegard is excellent too (he was revealed as Papageno in the Ingmar Bergman film and subsequently developed an international career).

A very young Salonen conducts the famous Serenade and the music from Chitra. The swedish rhapsody Midvinter is wonderful, too.

I've plugged the Ballads disc a couple of times before. It contains a treasure of late romantic vocal ballads, sensitive and bardic by Stenhammar, Peterson-Berger and Rangström. Contents here:

And for a conspectus of his piano music, this Naxos disc is an excellent introduction. The sonata is an important work:

vandermolen

I only really know Symphony 2 which is a wonderful work, especially in the Caprice recording.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

My first exposure to Stenhammar was via the LP of symphony # 1 under Järvi/Gothenburg. Found the music pleasant, uneventful, with vast stretches of note spinning. But its brucknerisms (they are there) eventually won me over  :D. That being said, the symphonies may not reveal Stenhammar at his best.

First on a recommendation list would be The Song, of which there are a few recordings. Available at a reasonable price on Amazon uk:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stenhammar-Song-Sentimental-Romances-Ithaca/dp/B000000UGN/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1516728579&sr=1-7&keywords=Stenhammar+the+song

The Brillant set of 3 discs is a good place to start too. Good program, generous timings, cheap price:

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on January 23, 2018, 08:35:06 AM
My first exposure to Stenhammar was via the LP of symphony # 1 under Järvi/Gothenburg. Found the music pleasant, uneventful, with vast stretches of note spinning. But its brucknerisms (they are there) eventually won me over  :D. That being said, the symphonies may not reveal Stenhammar at his best.

Symphony No. 1 isn't a memorable work, but Symphony No. 2 is a masterpiece, IMHO. Quite possibly the first Swedish symphony that could be classified as such.

SymphonicAddict

I recall being impressed by the two piano concertos when I listened them some time ago. And yes, the 2nd symphony is a masterpiece. Certainly a strong favorite of mine amongst Nordic works by anyone.

Daverz

I'll go further with the praise for Westerberg's Symphony No. 2.  Järvi is just dull in his 2 recordings.  Stig is the man!

I also love his recording of the Serenade.

[asin]B000024ZPA[/asin]

vandermolen

Quote from: André on January 23, 2018, 08:35:06 AM

First on a recommendation list would be The Song, of which there are a few recordings. Available at a reasonable price on Amazon uk:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stenhammar-Song-Sentimental-Romances-Ithaca/dp/B000000UGN/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1516728579&sr=1-7&keywords=Stenhammar+the+song

The Brillant set of 3 discs is a good place to start too. Good program, generous timings, cheap price:

I have this set but need to listen properly to it. Thanks for the encouragement Andre.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MN Dave

I need to check out this fellow. Heard a bit of "As You Like It" on the radio this morning and ... liked it. Thanks for this thread.
"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: MN Dave on September 14, 2018, 05:06:00 AM
I need to check out this fellow. Heard a bit of "As You Like It" on the radio this morning and ... liked it. Thanks for this thread.

Are you familiar with his symphonies and other works? Almost all is compelling. The 2nd Symphony is his magnum opus, others claim that is the Serenade for orchestra in F major.

MN Dave

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 14, 2018, 10:07:15 PM
Are you familiar with his symphonies and other works? Almost all is compelling. The 2nd Symphony is his magnum opus, others claim that is the Serenade for orchestra in F major.

Thank you.

I heard the symphony last night and it was pleasing enough. I'll have to check out that Serenade.
"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: MN Dave on September 17, 2018, 08:59:28 AM
Thank you.

I heard the symphony last night and it was pleasing enough. I'll have to check out that Serenade.

Be sure to listen to the string quartets, piano concertos, the Violin Sonata (so lovely), Midvinter and Snöfrid as well. I don't know his piano music, but I suppose it's delectable too.

Roasted Swan

Check out the very new BIS disc from Jarvi of the Cantata "Sangen"

[asin]B07FSGMLD6[/asin]

excellent performance and really superb BIS SA-CD sound

71 dB

I listened on Spotify the Naxos disc of Serenade and other stuff. I liked Florez och Blanzeflor, Op. 3, which gave me a bit Elgar-vibes.

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 17, 2018, 12:52:07 PM
Check out the very new BIS disc from Jarvi of the Cantata "Sangen"

[asin]B07FSGMLD6[/asin]

excellent performance and really superb BIS SA-CD sound

I'm sure that's the case, but the covert "art" is dull as hell. Looks like the portrait of the CEO of a large bank.  :-X
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

calyptorhynchus

Just listened to the Symphony No.2.... what happens in the finale? three quite good movements and then a bit of activity and suddenly all momentum is lost and not regained.
Quite disappointing :(
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

vandermolen

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on November 13, 2018, 05:42:26 PM
Just listened to the Symphony No.2.... what happens in the finale? three quite good movements and then a bit of activity and suddenly all momentum is lost and not regained.
Quite disappointing :(

Which recording? The Caprice is the best.

calyptorhynchus

Yes, the caprice, though as it seems to be a structural problem I imagine all recordings would encounter the problem.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

vandermolen

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on November 13, 2018, 07:53:04 PM
Yes, the caprice, though as it seems to be a structural problem I imagine all recordings would encounter the problem.

I must listen again but I have to say that I've always greatly enjoyed that symphony.

André

+1

I recall appreciating the brucknerian tinge of no 1 but I realize I can't recall the musical specifics of no 2. In the listening pile it goes !

vandermolen

Ok, here's my question.
If I have this recording do I need to have the Blomstedt version?

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on May 28, 2019, 07:05:41 AM
Ok, here's my question.
If I have this recording do I need to have the Blomstedt version?

Westerberg's recording is often considered definitive but I enjoyed Blomstedt's just as much if not more, partly due to the marvelous BIS sonics.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff