Wilhelm Stenhammar (1871-1927)

Started by Mirror Image, January 24, 2012, 09:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on May 28, 2019, 03:13:51 PM
Westerberg's recording is often considered definitive but I enjoyed Blomstedt's just as much if not more, partly due to the marvelous BIS sonics.
Thanks Kyle. Might ask my daughter to get it for me as a b'day present.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Some days ago I re-listened to the 2nd Symphony on the Westerberg CD. Incredibly, that day I was less impressed by it, having praised that symphony over the years. In fact, I found the work rather underwhelming. The 1st movement was the one I felt stronger. I know, I'm a sinner.  ::) It could be another problem of overexposure. Or perhaps my tastes are changing. Not sure actually.

Having thought of that experience, today I tried another CD, this time with chamber music:

My surprise was superlative. All the works on the CD are really memorable, gracious, lyrical, in an unmistakable Romantic fashion and finely crafted:

Piano sonata in A flat major, Op. 12 (his last one for piano)
Violin sonata in A minor, Op. 19
Allegro ma non tanto for piano trio in A major
Allegro brillante for piano quartet in E flat major

I consider the Piano Sonata the crowning jewel on the CD. It's quite simply superb, tuneful, catchy, imbued with such elegance and spark. Possibly the work for piano trio is the most mainstream one, but even so it's worth listening.

I recommend the content of that CD with some enthusiasm for Romantic music lovers.

André

Stenhammar's two symphonies have fine moments but also some longueurs. One could be forgiven for thinking they almost overstay their welcome.

The piano concertos, the string quartets and some of the piano works are very good. Best of all are the cantata The Song, the fine Serenad, the two gorgeous Sentimental Romances for violin, and some of the songs. These are my fave Stenhammar discs:

Florestan

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 01, 2019, 04:59:22 PM
Some days ago I re-listened to the 2nd Symphony on the Westerberg CD. Incredibly, that day I was less impressed by it, having praised that symphony over the years. In fact, I found the work rather underwhelming. The 1st movement was the one I felt stronger. I know, I'm a sinner.  ::) It could be another problem of overexposure. Or perhaps my tastes are changing. Not sure actually.

Having thought of that experience, today I tried another CD, this time with chamber music:

My surprise was superlative. All the works on the CD are really memorable, gracious, lyrical, in an unmistakable Romantic fashion and finely crafted:

Piano sonata in A flat major, Op. 12 (his last one for piano)
Violin sonata in A minor, Op. 19
Allegro ma non tanto for piano trio in A major
Allegro brillante for piano quartet in E flat major

I consider the Piano Sonata the crowning jewel on the CD. It's quite simply superb, tuneful, catchy, imbued with such elegance and spark. Possibly the work for piano trio is the most mainstream one, but even so it's worth listening.

I recommend the content of that CD with some enthusiasm for Romantic music lovers.

Thw whole cycle is very worthwile.

Try also his SQs.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Florestan on October 02, 2019, 12:21:01 AM
Thw whole cycle is very worthwile.

Try also his SQs.

Oh yes! The SQs represent the meat of his chamber music. The No. 3 is the one that comes to my mind immediately with its rustic flavour.

kyjo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 01, 2019, 04:59:22 PM

Overexposed to Stenhammar? Impossible! ;) I almost agree with you about the 2nd Symphony; I think it's a fine work with some great moments (the delightful scherzo and the imposing ending), but in the end it's not exactly emotionally stirring or cathartic; perhaps a bit too restrained to make a bigger impact. I've seen it described several times as "the greatest Swedish symphony" but I enjoy most of Atterberg's, Alfven's 3rd, and Peterson-Berger's 3rd more than it. The Westerberg recording is usually referred to as definitive, but I really enjoyed Blomstedt's recent recording on BIS, which, unsurprisingly, has superb sonics.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: kyjo on October 18, 2019, 08:55:35 AM
Overexposed to Stenhammar? Impossible! ;) I almost agree with you about the 2nd Symphony; I think it's a fine work with some great moments (the delightful scherzo and the imposing ending), but in the end it's not exactly emotionally stirring or cathartic; perhaps a bit too restrained to make a bigger impact. I've seen it described several times as "the greatest Swedish symphony" but I enjoy most of Atterberg's, Alfven's 3rd, and Peterson-Berger's 3rd more than it. The Westerberg recording is usually referred to as definitive, but I really enjoyed Blomstedt's recent recording on BIS, which, unsurprisingly, has superb sonics.

Have you ever heard the fragment of his 3rd Symphony on Chandos? It sounds like it would have been a much more interesting symphony.

W.A. Mozart

What do you think about the Symphony No. 2?

Orchestra: BBC Philharmonic
Conductor: Vassily Sinaisky

Symphonic Addict

One of the highlights in Scandinavian symphonism, even though I don't like it as much as I did at first. The outer movements have stronger material than the inner ones I reckon. Said that, I tend to prefer his First Symphony with its echoes of Bruckner.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on May 28, 2023, 07:37:33 AMWhat do you think about the Symphony No. 2?

Orchestra: BBC Philharmonic
Conductor: Vassily Sinaisky

I like this very much. What about you, WA?
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

W.A. Mozart

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 28, 2023, 02:51:37 PMI like this very much. What about you, WA?

I've just listened to it. It's a nice symphony. Maybe not the best one I've heard, but it's nice.

kyjo

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on May 28, 2023, 03:47:16 PMI've just listened to it. It's a nice symphony. Maybe not the best one I've heard, but it's nice.

You had the exact same generic response to me in the Bloch thread. I sense some trolling going on... ::)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 28, 2023, 10:20:47 AMOne of the highlights in Scandinavian symphonism, even though I don't like it as much as I did at first. The outer movements have stronger material than the inner ones I reckon. Said that, I tend to prefer his First Symphony with its echoes of Bruckner.

Oddly enough, I feel the reverse is true of the First Symphony - the two inner movements are stronger than the outer ones. I particularly love the expansive scherzo/intermezzo 3rd movement with its rather wistful main theme. In any case, both symphonies are fine works overall, though I'd agree with those who say that the F major Serenade is Stenhammar's orchestral masterwork. His two PCs are marvelous as well, as is his cantata Sången, the string quartets, the solo piano music, etc.

vers la flamme

Quote from: vandermolen on May 28, 2019, 07:05:41 AMOk, here's my question.
If I have this recording do I need to have the Blomstedt version?

I ordered this based purely on the cool cover, and the fact that I don't have anything by Stenhammar despite my interest in Swedish music of this era. Looking forward to hearing it.

W.A. Mozart

Quote from: kyjo on May 29, 2023, 07:02:32 AMYou had the exact same generic response to me in the Bloch thread. I sense some trolling going on... ::)

To have a similar opinion about two pieces is not trolling. I'm sorry if I don't have a high fantasy in the choice of words.  ;D