Another newbie

Started by Johnll, January 26, 2012, 03:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnll

Just a word of introduction. I have been listening to classical music 20 years and my favorite composers were Bach, Shostakovitch, Berg, Messiaen. I still like them. I discovered this site and a streaming music service (mog) six months ago and have been ball listening to music new to me. I would go from your top 25-100 compositions lists and then search the composer threads for other favorite works. So far I have playlisted ~ 700 albums on mog. Maybe 25% are alternative performances to what I had. The remainder are mostly works I had never heard and perhaps half of that are composers I had never heard of. I was stuck in a classical music rut and it will take me some time to come to terms with all this new music

I registered because I have a few things to say but I will not post frequently as I am not as well listened (depth or breath) as many are. I have zero technical expertise in music. Of course I have opinions like everybody else and one of those it feels good to be out of the closet.

TheGSMoeller

Greetings, and welcome.  :)

What are some of your favorite pieces from Berg and Bach?

Ataraxia

Welcome! Post as much as you like, sir.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Johnll on January 26, 2012, 03:20:02 PMShostakovitch, Berg

Two absolutely incredible composers here and two of my favorites. What works do you admire by these composers?

By the way, welcome aboard! I hope you find something useful here. 8)

mc ukrneal

Welcome and enjoy yourself!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Karl Henning

Welcome, John! Do you get to hear much live music in Atlanta?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Lisztianwagner

Welcome, hope you'll enjoy the forum :)
I'm very pleased you like Bach, Shostakovich and Berg, they are wonderful composers!
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

TheGSMoeller

Oh, didn't see that you're in Atlanta, my new in about a month.   :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 27, 2012, 05:13:58 AM
Oh, didn't see that you're in Atlanta, my new in about a month.   :)

Sans blague?  When we arrange Henningmusick your way, you must come hear!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on January 27, 2012, 06:13:39 AM
Sans blague?  When we arrange Henningmusick your way, you must come hear!

I'll be first in line, Karl.

springrite

Quote from: Johnll on January 26, 2012, 03:20:02 PM
Of course I have opinions like everybody else and one of those it feels good to be out of the closet.

We love your kind! Voice them and don't let anyone belittle opinions! Welcome!

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Johnll

Thanks for the welcoming comments. My favorite works by Berg are his violin concerto and Wozzeck. I may have listened to certain works by Bach and Shostakovitch too much over the years. At the moment I am enjoying Bach's Organ Mass, Trio Sonatas, Cantata bwv 11, and Musical Offering (Markevich) most. I am not as symphony oriented as I once was, but I love Shosta concerti and chamber. My favorite disc today is his op 34 preludes coupled with violin sonata on Northern Flowers.   
Karl, I have been to the Atlanta Symphony once. We used to go more often when I lived in Chicago but my wife was really never a fan. I will occasional go to a performance in a small venue like a church.   

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Johnll on January 27, 2012, 07:04:54 AM
...but I love Shosta concerti and chamber.

Over the years I've become more fond of these genres more than his symphonies.
And Berg's Wozzeck is also a favorite of mine.

bhodges

Welcome, JohnII. Shostakovich and Berg are two of my favorites, too. And you have quite an orchestra there! I try to hear the ASO every year when they come to Carnegie Hall. Recently they brought Garrick Ohlsson, who did the Rachmaninov Third Piano Concerto, along with a spectacular Scriabin Poem of Ecstasy.

Anyway, enjoy yourself here.

--Bruce

david johnson

Hollywood

Hi there Johnll. Greetings from Vienna, Austria. Welcome to the forum.

"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

madaboutmahler

Welcome, John!

I hope you like Mahler! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

North Star

Welcome to the forum, John. Don't think that lack of theoretical knowledge is a valid reason for not posting.

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 28, 2012, 10:02:16 AM
Welcome, John!

I hope you like Mahler! :)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Lisztianwagner

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Johnll

Thanks for a very warm welcome!!! Yes I do like Mahler especially his lieder. Best to all-John