Lera's Lair

Started by UB, February 11, 2012, 10:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UB

The next composer born in 1970 or later on my list is the Russian/American Lera Auerbach. She was born in Russia but moved to the US in 1991 at the age of 18. She is multi-talented as she not only writes music but also is a talented pianist and a published writer.

Although I rather liked exploring her music, I can not say that she is among the top 20 on my list of living composers. Her music interest me enough that I will continue to follow her career to see what she is writing in 5 or 10 years.

Her style is very tonal and most of it should be accessible to anyone who enjoys late Shostakovich or Simpson. I think she is more interesting and original when she writes for solo or smaller groups but some of her shorter music for orchestra seems to me to have enough to say that it does not sound tired before it ends.

She wrote 24 preludes for piano which she then used as a basis for 24 preludes for violin and piano and my favorite combo for cello and piano. I think they are a good place to start with her music. My other suggestions would be her 2006 Serenade for a Melancholic Sea and her 2007 Russian Requiem.

As with many of the younger composers she has a very good interactive website where you can listen to complete recordings of 75% or so of her music to see what you like and if you would like to hear more.If you do not know this composer I suggest you give her a try and report back what you found that you liked or didn't like. If you already know her music I would like to hear your take on her music and what pieces you can recommend or just don't enjoy.
I am not in the entertainment business. Harrison Birtwistle 2010

lescamil

Her music really reminds me of Alfred Schnitte, but with a more lyrical touch to it. Listen to the 24 preludes for piano and the 24 preludes for violin and piano for a microcosm of her style. She taps into many different styles in a seamless fashion. Her piano music is excellently written and it lies under the hands quite easily. She is also a great pianist herself, and there are some videos of her on YouTube, including a great one with her playing Schnittke's Concerto Grosso No. 6.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

UB

Tomorrow - Tuesday Feb 14 - the world premiere of Auerbach's Dresden Requiem will be broadcast on Finnish radio at 2:05 PM Eastern Time.
I am not in the entertainment business. Harrison Birtwistle 2010