Jerome Moross (1913-1983)

Started by vandermolen, January 28, 2012, 02:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Jerome Moross was a theatre and film composer, best known for 'The Big Country', but I was captivated by the CD featuring his 'Symphony No. 1' (although there are no others) and 'The Last Judgement' ballet score.  These are invigorating, catchy, memorable and inspiriting scores. Apparently Moross composed the Symphony between December 1941 (an ominous date in American History) and April 1942 many people were feeling gloomy about the war and I thought that it was right to try and cheer them up with a happy and hopeful piece. It is happy and hopeful, reminiscent of Copland in some places (he orchestrated Copland's 'Our Town'), but I was also reminded of the lighter Prokofiev in the second movement and also Elmer Bernstein (the faster music for 'To Kill a Mockingbird' for example).  I was interested to read that Sir Thomas Beecham had premiered the work. George Antheil also came to mind. The music is 'light' but not without depth and, above all, very enjoyable. 'Adam charges Eve with Original Sin' is a very catchy section of the ballet suite. Well worth investigating.
[asin]B000001SG6[/asin]
http://www.moross.com/
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

A very interesting post,Vandemolen! I remember this release,but resisted at the time! Since then,I have discovered George Antheil.A fascinating & very underrated composer.

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 28, 2012, 04:43:36 PM
A very interesting post,Vandemolen! I remember this release,but resisted at the time! Since then,I have discovered George Antheil.A fascinating & very underrated composer.

Thanks ever so much  :). I thought that this could be a candidate for the zero response award! It is music which cheers me up - great fun really. I rarely listen to upbeat and optimistic music, usually preferring works conveying a sense of looming catastrophe, but this is very disarming music which I keep returning to. The second movement of the Symphony did remind me a bit of Prokofiev and there is a catchy part for the piano. It is not really like anything else in my collection. As I mentioned, Elmer Bernstein often comes to mind too.  Evidently Moross did work on other symphonies but was never satisfied with them - so this remains his only contribution to the genre. Yes, I like Antheil too - especially symphonies 3 and 4. As the notes say 'The [Moross] Symphony is more of a suite of contrasting movements designed to be instantly understood and enjoyed.' This is true, but I thought that the quality of invention was high and as long as you're not expecting William Schuman's 6th Symphony (a work I love), you should find the Moross to be good fun. Moross considered 'The Last Judgement' ballet (1953) to be one of his very best works.  Much of the music, it is true, sounds like music for film or theatre - but this is not a problem for me.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

Thank you,Vandermolen.It sounds very intriguing & unfortunately,for my bank balance,tempting! I may return to the thread on this one,after a little more mulling & research!

cilgwyn

By dinasman at 2012-01-29

I did!!! And here's another one! Both cds seem to have garnered allot of enthusiastic reviews on various sites. There is also a Naxos cd of 'Frankie & Johnny' & a deleted cd,of his chamber music (coupled with Herrmann),which is way out of my pocket. Although,I could sell all my posessions & go and live in a cardboard box. But then I wouldn't be able to listen to it,anyway! :(

Funnily enough,even though I like all the Antheil symphonies & pretty much everything I've heard,so far;my personal favourites are Symphonies 1 & 6. Wierd ,wonderful,often lush & impressionistic & a bit spooky! Great for late night listening. Just make sure there's nothing hiding in the wardrobe before turning off the light! :o

Cyril Scott's Fourth Symphony is another spooky one!!!! :o :o :o

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 29, 2012, 06:06:55 AM

By dinasman at 2012-01-29

I did!!! And here's another one! Both cds seem to have garnered allot of enthusiastic reviews on various sites. There is also a Naxos cd of 'Frankie & Johnny' & a deleted cd,of his chamber music (coupled with Herrmann),which is way out of my pocket. Although,I could sell all my posessions & go and live in a cardboard box. But then I wouldn't be able to listen to it,anyway! :(

Funnily enough,even though I like all the Antheil symphonies & pretty much everything I've heard,so far;my personal favourites are Symphonies 1 & 6. Wierd ,wonderful,often lush & impressionistic & a bit spooky! Great for late night listening. Just make sure there's nothing hiding in the wardrobe before turning off the light! :o

Cyril Scott's Fourth Symphony is another spooky one!!!! :o :o :o

That CD is tempting too - so I may join you in the cardboard box  :D My latest discovery (thanks to J in this forum) Hallvard Johnsen Symphony 13 - terrific! More temptation for you.  :o I like the Scott too, especially 'Neptune'.

cilgwyn

Hallvard Johnsen? Must look him up! :( ;D
As to the cardboard box. It'll have to be a big one! Hope you don't snore!!! :o
I think I'm inclined towards the Koch recording. Not that I'm biased against Naxos,but some of their releases of 'American Classics' have been rather disappointing. The New Zealand SO seem quite a good orchestra & their recordings have had some enthusiastic reviews.

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 29, 2012, 07:20:01 AM
Hallvard Johnsen? Must look him up! :( ;D
As to the cardboard box. It'll have to be a big one! Hope you don't snore!!! :o
I think I'm inclined towards the Koch recording. Not that I'm biased against Naxos,but some of their releases of 'American Classics' have been rather disappointing. The New Zealand SO seem quite a good orchestra & their recordings have had some enthusiastic reviews.

I am obliged at home to make use of a 'snoring machine' (too much information I fear). I agree with you about the Koch recordings being very good. I can see why Moross rated The Last Judgement so highly - if anything it's even more memorable that the fine Symphony. Some sections reminded me of 'Danzon Cubano' by Copland - a work I am very fond of.

Dundonnell

This is revenge, isn't it, Jeffrey ;D ;D

snyprrr

vandermolen

vandermolen

Quote from: snyprrr on January 31, 2012, 07:59:23 PM
Not the 'Morose Moross Thread'?

Certainly not! His music is very chirpy :D

cilgwyn

I'll be Moross if this thread doesn't get as far as 'Page 2'! >:(

Cato

If you can find this, you are in for a real treat:

Sonata for Piano Duet and String Quartet by Moross, plus Herrmann's Echoes and Souvenir de Voyage.

Not morose music at all: go to Herrmann for that mood...and its exorcism!

Besides The Big Country, check out Moross' music for another Charlton Heston epic: The War Lord.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

Quote from: Cato on February 02, 2012, 06:41:51 PM
If you can find this, you are in for a real treat:

Sonata for Piano Duet and String Quartet by Moross, plus Herrmann's Echoes and Souvenir de Voyage.

Not morose music at all: go to Herrmann for that mood...and its exorcism!

Besides The Big Country, check out Moross' music for another Charlton Heston epic: The War Lord.

Thanks Cato for the recommendation. It looks a great CD but probably expensive to find and I have the Herrmann works, which are very good, on Unicorn.

cilgwyn

Yes,an interesting coupling,but I've checked seller prices & phew! :o You'd think they'd been signed by the composer/s!
Years ago you could have found an Lp of rare repertory like this in a mailing list or record stall for next to nothing!