Started by Sequentia, January 31, 2012, 10:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yum

Bruckner
Mahler
Where the **** is Wagner!

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 31, 2012, 12:53:03 PM
Something that was pointed out to me before is that usually you have two groups of people in regards to these two composers: those who like Bruckner more than Mahler and people who like Mahler more than Bruckner. There is no equality in these choices. I'm proof of this. Give me Bruckner any day of the week over noodle head Mahler.

I would say that I am equally in both camps!   8)

Still, I voted for Bruckner simply because he was one of the first composers whose music I ever encountered in my childhood.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on January 31, 2012, 12:58:18 PM

Still, I voted for Bruckner simply because he was one of the first composers whose music I ever encountered in my childhood.

Ah, but you still voted for someone and in this case you chose wisely. Long live, Anton!!!! :D

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 31, 2012, 12:53:03 PM
Give me Bruckner any day of the week over noodle head Mahler.

You aren't certainly soft with Mahler ::) ;)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

marvinbrown

You see that 1 vote for where the **** is Wagner? That was me  ;D!

In all seriousness I think these 2 are about equal.  I don't really prefer one over the other. Oh yes the Bohemian (Mahler)  versus the Spiritual (Bruckner)......I'll take both late romantic composers. After all how can one choose?

marvin

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on January 31, 2012, 01:18:27 PM
You aren't certainly soft with Mahler ::) ;)

I was just kidding of course because I knew Daniel would be sending a Mahlerian hammer my way. :D Mahler was a master musician and composer. He certainly wasn't a noodle-head. I don't like a lot of his music but this by no means doesn't mean I don't respect what he accomplished.

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 31, 2012, 01:02:10 PM
I guess I shall be receiving the Mahler hammer any time now. :)

I hear the Sixth Symphony already!

Or are those the hammers of the Nibelungen?   :o
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 31, 2012, 01:37:56 PM
I was just kidding of course because I knew Daniel would be sending a Mahlerian hammer my way. :D Mahler was a master musician and composer. He certainly wasn't a noodle-head. I don't like a lot of his music but this by no means doesn't mean I don't respect what he accomplished.

No problem John, I had understood it, I was having a bit of fun too :)

QuoteOr are those the hammers of the Nibelungen?   :o
No, that's Siegfried forging Nothung ;D
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

DavidW

Quote from: Cato on January 31, 2012, 12:58:18 PM

I think that most of us have found a place in our hearts for both composers. :)

mszczuj

Voted for Bruckner.

He was one vote ahead then. But when I have finished to read the post there have been a draw. I'm really curious what I'll find after clicking the "Post" button.

Geo Dude

Karl Henning

As Jeff Bridges nearly said, the fruit abides!

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Superhorn

I vote for arugala !   I can't choose between apples and oranges. I love both composers dearly.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 31, 2012, 01:37:56 PM

Correct!  >:(

But, I'm glad that you believe Mahler was a master composer and that you understand he certainly was NOT a 'noodle-head'! I suppose I can understand that his music is not for everyone though...

Hope he gets more votes on this poll though! ;)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 01, 2012, 08:44:29 AM
Correct!  >:(

But, I'm glad that you believe Mahler was a master composer and that you understand he certainly was NOT a 'noodle-head'! I suppose I can understand that his music is not for everyone though...

Hope he gets more votes on this poll though! ;)

Absolutely, Daniel and you know, as I've told you before, that there are a few Mahler works that I really love like the 2nd, 5th, 7th, and 9th symphonies. I know you love the 6th and if I recall in my own mind correctly one of the more scorching performances of the 6th I heard was with Solti and the CSO. I'm sure you know this performance. :)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 01, 2012, 12:41:44 PM
Absolutely, Daniel and you know, as I've told you before, that there are a few Mahler works that I really love like the 2nd, 5th, 7th, and 9th symphonies. I know you love the 6th and if I recall in my own mind correctly one of the more scorching performances of the 6th I heard was with Solti and the CSO. I'm sure you know this performance. :)

All great pieces you mention, John! My favourites, as you know! ;)
Yes, the 6th is my overall favourite along with no.9. And yes, the Solti is my favourite performance of it I have heard so far! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Wanderer

I voted for Bruckner, though the almighty Banana is the real winner here.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 31, 2012, 12:17:46 PM
Actually, it wasn't. Bruckner may have not appeared to be an intellectual, but the reality is he was actually one of the most advanced musical minds of his day.

Not to mention the Beethoven - Mahler analogy in this context being more arbitrary than anything else.

starrynight

I'd say they both link more to Schubert than Beethoven or Bach.

eyeresist

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 31, 2012, 12:17:46 PMActually, it wasn't. Bruckner may have not appeared to be an intellectual, but the reality is he was actually one of the most advanced musical minds of his day.
Quoted for TRUTH. No hayseed wrote those symphonies. Let's put that myth to rest.

This was a very difficult question to answer, but I chose Mahler. His opus is more consistently elevated.

TheGSMoeller

The Apocalyptic Romantic Saucy Maid  8)