Rachmaninov
12 (25%)
Prokofiev
10 (20.8%)
Other 20th century Russian
2 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 46

DavidW

No tricks this time, it's an honest poll with an honest discussion.

These great composers each have their own unique vision that compliment each other.  Each a symbol of their times in their own way.  You really can't choose just one... but you must. 8)

My favorite is Shostakovich.  Brutal intensity from a shy introvert his dark, sarcastic, angry yet mournful music with flights of joy and humor are a voice for his generation and the generations to come after him. :)

Mirror Image

Shostakovich for me too, although I adore Prokofiev. I like your description of Shostakovich, Dave:

QuoteBrutal intensity from a shy introvert his dark, sarcastic, angry yet mournful music with flights of joy and humor are a voice for his generation and the generations to come after him.

eyeresist

For me this is a straight choice between Shosty and Prok. Tricky, but I chose Prokofiev because I find his works more consistently interesting, whereas with Shostakovich I have to pick and choose more.

How 'bout Rimsky vs Glazunov? :D

PaulR

My answer:  Shostakovich, with Prokofiev in second.

in my honest opinion, Stravinsky, while good, is an overrated (Not quite sure if that is the word I am looking for exactly, but it'll do).  I feel he getsa bit to much credit in the neo-classicist movement.  Maybe it is because his works never really resonated with me, but that's how I see it. 

Never really got into Rachmaninov

Todd

Stravinsky by several country miles.  Rite, Petrushka, Agon, Violin Concerto, Symphony in Three Movements, Symphony of Psalms, Dumbarton Oaks, Ebony Concerto.  Whew.  DSCH comes next, and he's a couple country miles ahead of the other two.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

Quote from: paulrbass on February 01, 2012, 06:11:44 PM
Mussorgsky  >:D

Yes!  I guess we would have Mussorgsky, Rimsky, Borodin, Glazunov and exclude Tchaikovsky because that's just not fair. :)

PaulR

Quote from: DavidW on February 01, 2012, 06:23:29 PM
Yes!  I guess we would have Mussorgsky, Rimsky, Borodin, Glazunov and exclude Tchaikovsky because that's just not fair. :)
"The Mighty 5"+Glazunov fight to the figurative death?

Well, Mussorgsky still wins, followed by Borodin.

Todd

Quote from: DavidW on February 01, 2012, 06:23:29 PM... exclude Tchaikovsky because that's just not fair.

It's not his fault he can't hold a candle to Mussorgsky.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Quote from: paulrbass on February 01, 2012, 06:11:20 PM
My answer:  Shostakovich, with Prokofiev in second.

in my honest opinion, Stravinsky, while good, is an overrated (Not quite sure if that is the word I am looking for exactly, but it'll do).  I feel he getsa bit to much credit in the neo-classicist movement.  Maybe it is because his works never really resonated with me, but that's how I see it. 

Never really got into Rachmaninov

Last year, I went through a huge Stravinsky phase and listened to his music from the beginning to the end. I love many of Stravinsky's works, but he was a composer I had a lot of enthusiasm for in the beginning but that enthusiasm has died down through the years. His music just doesn't touch me like Shosty's or Prokofiev's. I also got tired of Stravinsky's sound-world after awhile of listening to him whereas my enthusiasm for Shosty and Prokofiev in the beginning of my classical listening wasn't very high, but I learned to love their music and I really love it now. Shostakovich and Prokofiev I think have more emotional depth in their music while Stravinsky's music seems to be a lot of surface and no substance.

I never cared about Rachmaninov.

eyeresist

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 01, 2012, 06:31:04 PMI never cared about Rachmaninov.
Well, I like Rachmaninov, and sometimes while listening to his music it seems like the greatest thing ever, but if this was a poll as to who I'd throw the lifebuoy to, I'd have to hope that those enormous hands of his would help him to swim to shore.

Quote from: DavidW on February 01, 2012, 06:23:29 PM
Also Balakirev, Arensky. Rubenstein?

Bogey

I am the first second to throw my hat in for Rach.  Not to be different, but rather I have just explored and enjoyed his music more than the other three.  Also, his Vespers (All-Night Vigil) may just be the most beautiful and sublime piece of music ever bestowed upon human kind.  Just my opinion of course. 8)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on February 01, 2012, 06:47:18 PMWell, I like Rachmaninov, and sometimes while listening to his music it seems like the greatest thing ever, but if this was a poll as to who I'd throw the lifebuoy to, I'd have to hope that those enormous hands of his would help him to swim to shore.

My grandfather's favorite composer is Rachmaninov and while I perfectly accept that he is a pretty good composer (his 2nd symphony I still enjoy), I still don't ever listen to him or have really paid him much attention. His 2nd symphony and Isle of the Dead are too favorites of mine.

Brian

Quote from: paulrbass on February 01, 2012, 06:24:52 PM
"The Mighty 5"+Glazunov fight to the figurative death?

Poor Cesar Cui will be the first one to get eaten.

PaulR

Quote from: Bogey on February 01, 2012, 06:49:46 PM
I am the first second to throw my hat in for Rach.  Not to be different, but rather I have just explored and enjoyed his music more than the other three.  Also, his Vespers (All-Night Vigil) may just be the most beautiful and sublime piece of music ever bestowed upon human kind.  Just my opinion of course. 8)
To clarify, I think Rachmaninoff is a very good composer.  The 2nd and 3rd piano concerto's are evidence, as well as the isle of the dead and Vespers.  Just hasn't clicked for me.

Bogey

Quote from: paulrbass on February 01, 2012, 07:00:01 PM
To clarify, I think Rachmaninoff is a very good composer.  The 2nd and 3rd piano concerto's are evidence, as well as the isle of the dead and Vespers.  Just hasn't clicked for me.

Oh, no doubt.  Not one in the lot to dislike as David pointed out. 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

TheGSMoeller

They are all good, but my vote was for Prokofiev.
Melodic, lyrical, tragic, joyful, dissonant, juvenile, mature, political, classical, modern...

Bogey

Most interested in Karl's choice for this poll.  I am guessing Stravinsky, but Prok might do the trick.  Hmmmm.

PaulR

Quote from: Bogey on February 01, 2012, 07:31:43 PM
Most interested in Karl's choice for this poll.  I am guessing Stravinsky, but Prok might do the trick.  Hmmmm.
Another idea for a poll?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on February 01, 2012, 07:31:43 PM

Karl, loves Shosty, Prokofiev, and Stravinsky. He might bow out of this poll, but it will interesting to see his choice if can make this kind of decision.