Recommendation for Shostakovich First Symphony?

Started by rubio, April 11, 2007, 07:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rubio

I just heard this symphony conducted by Barshai from his box set, and I must say that I liked this symphony a lot! Are there some recordings of these symphony out there that are superior to Barshai? E.g.
Ormandy, Rozhdestvensky, Stokowski?
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

not edward

I know this must come as a terrible shock to a lot of people (cough), but I really like the light touch of Ancerl in this symphony. Plus it comes with an unconventional--but IMO very effective--interpretation of the 5th symphony.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

karlhenning

Quote from: edward on April 11, 2007, 10:05:41 AM
I know this must come as a terrible shock to a lot of people (cough), but I really like the light touch of Ancerl in this symphony. Plus it comes with an unconventional--but IMO very effective--interpretation of the 5th symphony.

*Ahem*

George

Quote from: rubio on April 11, 2007, 07:39:02 AM
I just heard this symphony conducted by Barshai from his box set, and I must say that I liked this symphony a lot! Are there some recordings of these symphony out there that are superior to Barshai? E.g.

See above.  8)

rubio

Quote from: George on April 11, 2007, 11:38:48 AM
See above.  8)

That one is interesting. Do you have recommendations for any more Rozhdestvensky Shostakovich symphonies (and which labels)? I have read his cycle is a bit up and down, so maybe I should go for individual releases.
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

George

Quote from: rubio on April 11, 2007, 12:56:12 PM
That one is interesting. Do you have recommendations for any more Rozhdestvensky Shostakovich symphonies (and which labels)? I have read his cycle is a bit up and down, so maybe I should go for individual releases.

I'd say start with the CD that has #1 and #3. If it clicks for you like it did for me you'll want to get them all.

But - that won't be easy to do. Worth it though, IMO. I have more than half of them and haven't come across any unevenness in the cycle, nor have I read of one.  :-\

val

Two suggestions:

Ancerl with the Czech Philharmonic

Effrem Kurtz, with the Philharmoniaq

Robert

Quote from: rubio on April 11, 2007, 07:39:02 AM

I can't say that its superior to any of those but I still love the DG Bernstein coupled with 7

Danny

Jansons on the EMI Classics Encore label is a cheap, well played First. :)

RebLem

First of all, the Barshai is excellent, I agree.  Bernstein did two excellent recordings of it, one on a two CD set with the 7th with the Chicago Sym.  That is the preferred of the two Bernstein recordings of the 7th, but his earlier NYPO recording of #1 is just as good a performance, though not in as good sound.  I recommend both.
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).