Harald Sæverud Fan Club (1897-1992)

Started by Elnimio, February 14, 2012, 04:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

I've enjoyed some of his works, among them the string quartets and some symphonies (namely 3, 6, 7 and 9). Like you, I also perceive a sense of bitter quirkiness from his pen that gives distinctiveness to his style, but unlike you, I didn't find his Peer Gynt Suites particularly enthralling. I should revisit them.

BTW, he has his own thread:

Harald Saeverud
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Dukas’Sidekick

Love what I've heard of Saeverud's music so far. I did a deep dive into another Norwegian Master, Johan Halvorsen, who also studied in Liepzig & was the Conductor of The National Theater in Oslo for 30 yrs. Halvorsen married Grieg's neice - close colleague & friend. Halvorsen's works are all charming & exquisitely orchestrated.
To Saeverud, now, I found him when sites recommend other composers of said country... I'd heard of him for his "Kjempeviseatten,"  "Battle of Revolt," Sevaerud's brother was an officer in the Norwegian Resistance to Germany's Occupation of Norway during WW2. It's a great piece. So is his "Siljuslatten" (Dances from the town he first lived in after his marriage. But I especially LOVE his two "Peer Gynt" Suites. I love the First Suite best, and from The Second, mvmts 1-5. This is his quirkiest, most original work I've heard... The Great Norwegian Tale "Peer Gynt," (Ibsen) had something like 140 scenes, & of course, Grieg spent a year + composing music some 50 years earlier for 30+ scenes he thought best for musical depictions. Sæverud & a few other composers also wrote for "Gynt," but most chose other mvmts, for the most part, than Grieg. That's what Sæverud did, w the exception of "Anitra's Dance" & "Solveig's Song." But the other 11 mvmts are wonderfully modern, jaunty (Devil's 5-Hop) & The Threatener. Listen to the works I mentioned, but w Saeverud, you might need 3-5 listening to realize how amazing it is.
Sæverud liked to say his birth home was on an ancient graveyard, so he thinks that's why he's always had a mystical, sometimes dark but humorous view of the world & his composition. His music sounds like no others.'
Love "Val Mors" & the Symphonies I've listened to so far. And his "Gjaetelvise Variations" is cool, as is his "Leyte Stryker" is charming beyond belief. Maybe start with this one first 8) 👍🎵😎