Harald Sæverud Fan Club (1897-1992)

Started by Elnimio, February 14, 2012, 04:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elnimio

Any other fans of this Norwegian composer? Surprised there's no thread about him, he is arguably the greatest Norwegian composer after Edvard Grieg.

His music is hard to categorize, first of all. It is essentially tonal, sometimes even folkish and humorous, yet it uses a lot of dissonance, and is usually dark and thick in texture.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Elnimio on February 14, 2012, 04:13:30 PM
Any other fans of this Norwegian composer? Surprised there's no thread about him, he is arguably the greatest Norwegian composer after Edvard Grieg.

His music is hard to categorize, first of all. It is essentially tonal, sometimes even folkish, yet it uses a lot of dissonance, and is usually dark and thick in texture.

Long time, no see! Good to see you back! Anyway, the Saeverud BIS series looks quite appealing. I don't think I've heard one note of his music though. What would you recommend a newbie to this composer start with?

Elnimio

I love his one movement symphonies. The fourth, the fifth, the sixth, and the seventh. I would recommend to start with the fourth or the sixth, my two personal favorites. I also really love his violin and oboe concertos.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Elnimio on February 14, 2012, 05:04:05 PM
I love his one movement symphonies. The fourth, the fifth, the sixth, and the seventh. I would recommend to start with the fourth or the sixth, my two personal favorites. I also really love his violin and oboe concertos.

Alright, thanks for the recommendations. Do you own any of the BIS recordings?

Elnimio

Yep, 2  of them. The ones with Symphonies 2 & 4, and Symphony 3 + Violin Concerto.

Mirror Image

Okay, so I listened to Saeverud's Symphony No. 2 via YouTube and I have to say I'm not that impressed. I don't really hear anything distinctive in his music. There's nothing that stands out and beats me on the ear. The musical language just didn't seem that interesting. But this was my first listen...

Elnimio

Yeah, I wasn't impressed with that symphony either when I heard it. The fourth (which was on that same CD) changed my mind, it displays a much leaner, contrapuntal sound. I actually didn't post any youtube clips because none of the stuff on there is his most interesting work. Although, I see the third one is on youtube as well, I'd say that one is much better than the second one, particularly the second and third movements.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Elnimio on February 14, 2012, 07:49:14 PM
Yeah, I wasn't impressed with that symphony either when I heard it. The fourth (which was on that same CD) changed my mind. I actually didn't post any youtube clips because none of the stuff on there is his most interesting. Although, I see the third one is on youtube as well, I'd say that one is much better than the second one, particularly the second and third movements.

Thanks for the recommendations. Right now, I'm just going to clear my head of Saeverud's 2nd symphony and listen with, hopefully, fresher ears to the 3rd.

The new erato

I would have started with the Peer Gynt suites even though I cannot offhand recommend a recording.

Dundonnell

Guess what ??? ;D I have the complete BIS set of recordings of Saeverud: all eight symphonies(Saeverud withdrew his first and reused the material). the piano, violin, cello, oboe, bassoon concertos and a host of smaller orchestral pieces: a total of eight cds.

It was one of BIS's most impressive recording projects alongside of their Sibelius and Holmboe recording projects. It is just a pity that the company has not done the same for more modern Swedish composers :(

I like Saeverud's quirky, craggy individualism :) Only the 3rd and 8th symphonies exceed 30 minutes in length and the 6th 'Sinfonia Dolorosa', which was my first introduction to Saeverud, is a mere 12 minutes long. For a time it seemed that Saeverud had attained the same sort of 'Grand Old Man' stature as Hilding Rosenberg in Sweden but I wonder how often his music is still played in concert in Norway ???

The new erato

Quote from: Dundonnell on February 15, 2012, 04:59:54 AM
Guess what ??? ;D I have the complete BIS set of recordings of Saeverud: all eight symphonies(Saeverud withdrew his first and reused the material). the piano, violin, cello, oboe, bassoon concertos and a host of smaller orchestral pieces: a total of eight cds.

It was one of BIS's most impressive recording projects alongside of their Sibelius and Holmboe recording projects. It is just a pity that the company has not done the same for more modern Swedish composers :(

I like Saeverud's quirky, craggy individualism :) Only the 3rd and 8th symphonies exceed 30 minutes in length and the 6th 'Sinfonia Dolorosa', which was my first introduction to Saeverud, is a mere 12 minutes long. For a time it seemed that Saeverud had attained the same sort of 'Grand Old Man' stature as Hilding Rosenberg in Sweden but I wonder how often his music is still played in concert in Norway ???
Not very often. Occasionally in Bergen, and I remeber well meeting him at various concerts.

cilgwyn

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 14, 2012, 06:54:31 PM
Okay, so I listened to Saeverud's Symphony No. 2 via YouTube and I have to say I'm not that impressed. I don't really hear anything distinctive in his music. There's nothing that stands out and beats me on the ear. The musical language just didn't seem that interesting. But this was my first listen...
Sounds intriguing enough to investigate! Saeverud is a composer I have been aware of for many years & but never heard!!! One thing I HAVE noticed,however,about Saeverud,which has struck me,is that I have never seen a bad review of a Saeverud cd. So,maybe I SHOULD take the plunge.
  As to his Second Symphony. It may be uninteresting,but I sometimes find that an earlier or weaker work can sometimes sound better when you become more familiar with a composer's idiom,and in the context of later & more mature works. Having said that,I think I will try one of the later ones first,if and when,I dip my proverbial toe in the water!

Elnimio

His tone poem "Vade Mors" is also one of my favorites by him.

Mirror Image

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 16, 2012, 03:59:05 AM
  Sounds intriguing enough to investigate! Saeverud is a composer I have been aware of for many years & but never heard!!! One thing I HAVE noticed,however,about Saeverud,which has struck me,is that I have never seen a bad review of a Saeverud cd. So,maybe I SHOULD take the plunge.
  As to his Second Symphony. It may be uninteresting,but I sometimes find that an earlier or weaker work can sometimes sound better when you become more familiar with a composer's idiom,and in the context of later & more mature works. Having said that,I think I will try one of the later ones first,if and when,I dip my proverbial toe in the water!

I'm certainly not writing off Saeverud and I do plan on exploring his music at some point. Yes, there are many works by composers that don't do much for me on first hearing, but more familiarity with their compositional style will enable a listener to, hopefully, enjoy the work and understand it better.

Mirror Image

I can say I've really been enjoying Sæverud's music lately, especially since I actually got my hands on some (bought the sets Orchestral Music Vols. 1 & 2 on Simax).

calyptorhynchus

I have the Bis CD of the Symphony No.9 and Piano Concerto and lsitening to it hasn't motivated me to buy any more.

The music seems rather directionless and lacking in individuality. After listening to these two pieces I can't remember anything anout them at all!

Just my opinion.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Mirror Image

Nothing wrong with that opinion. You don't like something, nobody can force you to enjoy it. I find Sæverud, however, to be quite a distinctive composer. I think one of the most important aspects of his music is to simply keep listening. It doesn't jump out and grab you that's for sure although there are many striking passages in his music along the way. I find his Peer Gynt Suites to be the best place to start. These works are quite tuneful, although the music doesn't lose it's unmistakable roughness. Some of his other works I've heard have went in one ear and out the other but the same thing happened to me with Holmboe whose music I highly enjoy now.

Brian

Today on eClassical Robert von Bahr teases that BIS will soon be resuming and completing the complete cycle of orchestral Saeverud.

kyjo

Quote from: Brian on June 06, 2022, 04:43:42 AM
Today on eClassical Robert von Bahr teases that BIS will soon be resuming and completing the complete cycle of orchestral Saeverud.

Huh, I thought they had already recorded pretty much all of his orchestral output?
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Dukas’Sidekick

Ran across the music of Saeverud when doing a deep dive into Johan Halvorsen & Carl Nielsen. Had not studied this awesome Norwegian composer (1897-1992). He is an otiginalist modernist, expanding traditional forms & unique harmonies & orchestration. Anyone else find his music addictive? It took a few listening to understand his craft.
I especially like his own version of "Peer Gynt" (2 suites). He composed the music of "Gynt" in his own modernist style, stayed away from Grieg's most iconic movements & choosing some Grieg did not. "Peer" the play lasts some 4 hours, & Grieg chose mvmts he thought would be most effective to set to music. Many other composers have set "Gynt" to music. Sæverud wanted to expand upon what Grieg beautifully set, but in his own modernistic style. The "Devils 5-Hop" is marvelously quirky, the "Dovreslatt" describes the imaginary monster of self-doubt which hinders each of us from progressing in our destiny. Each Mvmt is unique. Sæverud's other orchestral works are eclectically wonderful as well. I enjoy his "Siljuslaaten" & iconic "Kjempeviseslaaten"(written in defiance of the Nazi occupation of Norway).
I have yet to dive into his symphonies.
Would like to hear of others' opinion of Sæverud. The SIMAX label's recording (Bergen Phil) & BIS (Stavanger Symphony) are outstanding.