The Great "D Minor"

Started by TheGSMoeller, February 16, 2012, 04:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wanderer

More illustrious examples: Mozart's Requiem, Sibelius' Violin Concerto and Sixth Symphony, Beethoven's Ninth Symphony and Tempest Sonata, Schubert's "Death and the Maiden" Quartet, Dvořák's Seventh Symphony, Mendelssohn's "Reformation"...

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

ok, since I grew up with the guitar, E-minor has always been the 'grail'. If d-minor is so great, why didn't 'they' make the guitar a 'd' instrument instead of an 'e' instrument? Now, of course I know that you can just tune down...

oh wait, is that why metal bands sound so dark, because the 'd' bass note is just that much lower than the 'e' to make the music the 'perfect' darkness?

What about c#-minor? (I'm being serious) On the guitar, c#-minor is definitely one of the coolest keys (along with 'f#-minor'), but what IS the difference between 'c#' and 'd'?

WHY 'd'??? (I think we've been here before,... don't remember) Is it just in the 'perfect' place... the 'pocket', as they say in baseball?

PLEASE, I just don't get the mysticism. ??? WHY? WHY? WHY? 'd-minor'???

'd'eus???

'g'ott???

Is it because HELP!!! :o

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 16, 2012, 04:22:34 AM
Havergal Brian's "Gothic" is in D minor.

Yes, but the operative word was "great."
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

madaboutmahler

Dvorak #4
Love this symphony! As much as no.7 (already mentioned as in D minor) and 9!

[asin]B00004Z34H[/asin]
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

D Minor?
Beethoven No.9 comes immediately into my mind! :D Also Mahler No.3 and Liszt Hungarian Rhapsdy No.17!
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

North Star

In addition to the Beethoven, Sibelius, Rach 3rd PC, Dvorak, Schubert and Schumann 4th mentioned already, some smaller pieces:
Beethoven: Coriolan overture
Schubert: Impromptu, D.899/No.1
Schumann's 2nd violin sonata
Prokofiev: Etudes, Op.2 - No. 1
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

marvinbrown

I can't believe that no one here mentioned the greatest work ever conceived in Western classical music in D minor:

J.S. Bach Concerto for 2 Violins, Strings and Continuo in D Minor, BWV 1043  of course!

EDIT: I nominate this recording, if only to hear the audience ROAR at the end of the performance:

[asin]B0000025TZ[/asin]
  marvin

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

d-minor -

well, the first I think of is The Art of Fugue.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

eyeresist

Prokofiev : Symphony No. 2

I'm slightly surprised that it's in any particular key.

Wanderer

Quote from: marvinbrown on February 16, 2012, 02:16:01 PM
  EDIT: I nominate this recording, if only to hear the audience ROAR at the end of the performance:

Yes, but do they also roar in D minor?

val

Mozart, string Quartet K 421

Mendelssohn, First piano Trio

Haydn, string Quartet opus 76/2

Brahms, 3rd Sonata violin/piano

Schönberg, First String Quartet opus 7

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Opus106

Quote from: marvinbrown on February 16, 2012, 02:16:01 PM
  I can't believe that no one here mentioned the greatest work ever conceived in Western classical music in D minor:

J.S. Bach Concerto for 2 Violins, Strings and Continuo in D Minor, BWV 1043  of course!

[asin]B0000025TZ[/asin]
  marvin

That recording (although I would like to think it's the work) started my love affair with D minor and propelled the one with Bach's music. I'd heard the A minor before (Stern/Lenny) [the first western classical work] and then went to this. During the first listen, despite the wonderful music, I was slightly annoyed by what  sounded like intonation problems, but as it turns out it seems to exist with almost every modern-intrument recording to which I listen.  :-\
Regards,
Navneeth

mc ukrneal

Just curious - do people here remember the key when they learn the work? Or did you have to look it up? Personally, I couldn't tell you what key nearly any work was in. I'd have to look it up (the exception is if I have played it, but even then, I've probably forgotten).  Plus, since there are basically a limited number of possibilities, well there are bound to be lots of pieces for any given key. Does seeing them as group tell us anything (or is it just one of things that is interesting)?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Karl Henning

Probably a matter of playing and singing, myself, but in many cases the key is part of my awareness of the piece right out the gate.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Wanderer

Some exquisite D minor Alkan: En rythme molossique, op.39/2

http://www.youtube.com/v/1Bw3yTsxdC8

As Ronald Smith in his book about Alkan notes, there's a canonic episode near the beginning that makes allusion to the minuet of Haydn's op.76/2 String Quartet (a work Alkan admired); the work ends with an enigmatic D minor reference to Beethoven's op.31/2 "Tempest" Sonata.

Opus106

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 17, 2012, 02:35:42 AM
Just curious - do people here remember the key when they learn the work? Or did you have to look it up?

As in learn to perform?
Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

Quote from: Wanderer on Today at 07:58:55 AM
Some exquisite D minor Alkan:
En rythme molossique, op.39/2

http://www.youtube.com/v/1Bw3yTsxdC8

As Ronald Smith in his book about Alkan notes, there's a canonic episode near the beginning that makes allusion to the minuet of Haydn's op.76/2 String Quartet (a work Alkan admired); the work ends with an enigmatic D minor reference to Beethoven's op.31/2 "Tempest" Sonata.

Fascinating, thank you.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA