Malena Ernman ... or Malena Emman?

Started by Mark, July 06, 2007, 01:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

People, I'm confused.

Can there really be two singers with such closely similar names? Is one a mezzo, the other a contralto? Google says both exist; but from the images it brought up (not so clearly for Emman as for Ernman), these singers (?) look like one and the same.

A universal typing error? Anyone care to make the picture clear for me? ???

Thanks. :)

Tancata

Just based on Googling a bit, without any previous knowledge, I would say they are the same person, and that the correct spelling is Ernman. Vastly more hits for Ernman with photos of her, websites about her, and so forth. Very little for Emman and what there is is pretty vague. It seems to have been misspelled a few times. They are both Swedish mezzos if there are two of them.

The data could also be explained if Ernman has a much higher profile than Emman...  $:)

Edit: Also, there exists a recording of Rach's Vespers from 1994 which features a certain mezzo, credited on some sites as "Ernman" and others as "Emman". Parsimony suggests they are one and the same.

Mark

Quote from: Tancata on July 06, 2007, 01:22:42 PM
Just based on Googling a bit, without any previous knowledge, I would say they are the same person, and that the correct spelling is Ernman. Vastly more hits for Ernman with photos of her, websites about her, and so forth. Very little for Emman and what there is is pretty vague. It seems to have been misspelled a few times. They are both Swedish mezzos if there are two of them.

The data could also be explained if Ernman has a much higher profile than Emman...  $:)

Edit: Also, there exists a recording of Rach's Vespers from 1994 which features a certain mezzo, credited on some sites as "Ernman" and others as "Emman". Parsimony suggests they are one and the same.

Thanks, Tancata. I thought the same but needed reassurance. ;D

I have the Rachmaninov 'Vespers' in question, which is where my enquiry stemmed from. In the booklet, she's down as Emman ... and as an alto. Think I'll retag the relevant MP3 files with 'Ernman', as it seems too much of a coincidence that there can be two Swedish singers so similarly named. :)