Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Thought it might be nice to have a thread where one could post a recording that one was considering and get some input from others about what they think of the recording.

:)

Maciek

Quote from: George on April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM
Thought it might be nice to have a thread where one could post a recording that one was considering and get some input from others about what they think of the recording.

I think I had a deja vu reading that. ;)

Don

My sitaution is that I always acquire recordings I've been considering.  The time lag is usually about 2 minutes.

Bunny

Quote from: Don on April 06, 2007, 01:28:40 PM
My sitaution is that I always acquire recordings I've been considering.  The time lag is usually about 2 minutes.

I had to disable the "one click" feature at Amazon.  I have to fight being an impulse buyer.

George

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Don

Quote from: Captain Haddock on April 08, 2007, 02:25:21 PM
Kondrashin Shostakovich symphonies?

It's a no-brainer to acquire the best Shostakovich cycle ever recorded.

Steve

Anyone familiar with the Kremer DG Collector's Edition boxed set. It includes violin sonatas from Beethoven, Schumann, and Brahms. I've just sampled op. 24, and was pleasantly surprised with the lovely articulation of that jubuliant opening. Any comments on the rest?

George

Quote from: Steve on April 09, 2007, 11:12:05 AM
Anyone familiar with the Kremer DG Collector's Edition boxed set. It includes violin sonatas from Beethoven, Schumann, and Brahms. I've just sampled op. 24, and was pleasantly surprised with the lovely articulation of that jubuliant opening. Any comments on the rest?

I got this box awhile ago, other than not really loving Kremer's tone (its a little thin for me), its an excellent box. 

Florestan

Schubert's Symphonies w/ Harnoncourt and Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. Any opinion?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

MishaK

Quote from: Florestan on April 11, 2007, 09:08:05 AM
Schubert's Symphonies w/ Harnoncourt and Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. Any opinion?

Our old friend M praised this set to the heavens, but I haven't heard it yet.

Florestan

Quote from: O Mensch on April 11, 2007, 10:52:19 AM
Our old friend M praised this set to the heavens, but I haven't heard it yet.
Yes, I've read some enthusiastic reviews myself, including David Hurwitz. :)

What about the Muti / Wiener Philharmoniker set? Have you heard this one?

George

Quote from: Florestan on April 11, 2007, 09:08:05 AM

I don't know who else you have, but I very much enjoy my only set: Boehm/DG.

Great sound, price and performance. Its got it all.

You surely could get some opinions about the Harnoncourt at rmcr. M is there too!  :)

Florestan

Quote from: George on April 11, 2007, 11:42:56 AM
I don't know who else you have, but I very much enjoy my only set: Boehm/DG.

Great sound, price and performance. Its got it all.

You surely could get some opinions about the Harnoncourt at rmcr. M is there too!  :)
I don't have a complete cycle yet so I'm doing a bit of research.

What is rmcr? The first thing that popped-up on Google was

real maestranza de caballería de ronda http://www.rmcr.org/ :)

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Florestan on April 11, 2007, 11:46:35 AM
I don't have a complete cycle yet so I'm doing a bit of research.

What is rmcr? The first thing that popped-up on Google was

real maestranza de caballería de ronda http://www.rmcr.org/ :)

rec.music.classical.recordings

If you going for a complete set the Muti is pretty hard to beat in terms of price and performance. Originally release by EMI it is now on Brilliant for only $13 or so. The performances are fabulous with arguably the best Schubert orchestra in the world. Warm, romantic, lush performances that are lithe and flexible. You will return to it time and time again.

Other excellent sets are Kertesz/VPO, Wand, and if you want period instrument Goodman. The Kertesz and Goodman are also cheap. Wand is cheap in Europe I think but is a bit pricey in the US.

Florestan

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 11, 2007, 11:50:51 AM
rec.music.classical.recordings

If you going for a complete set the Muti is pretty hard to beat in terms of price and performance. Originally release by EMI it is now on Brilliant for only $13 or so. The performances are fabulous with arguably the best Schubert orchestra in the world. Warm, romantic, lush performances that are lithe and flexible. You will return to it time and time again.

Other excellent sets are Kertesz/VPO, Wand, and if you want period instrument Goodman. The Kertesz and Goodman are also cheap. Wand is cheap in Europe I think but is a bit pricey in the US.
Thanks for the advice!

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Choo Choo

Saw this on offer at JPC for just 25 Euro:

That's 11 CDs for just 17 of our quaint British pounds!

Anybody have any opinions on this?

My (very patchy) Chopin "collection" includes Pollini, Ashkenazy, Sokolov, Sofronitsky, Lugansky, Solomon (+ 1 or 2 others) but the only Rubinstein is a couple of CDR copies of the Nocturnes.

Drasko

Quote from: Choo Choo on April 19, 2007, 10:06:59 AM
Saw this on offer at JPC for just 25 Euro:

That's 11 CDs for just 17 of our quaint British pounds!

Anybody have any opinions on this?

My (very patchy) Chopin "collection" includes Pollini, Ashkenazy, Sokolov, Sofronitsky, Lugansky, Solomon (+ 1 or 2 others) but the only Rubinstein is a couple of CDR copies of the Nocturnes.

There are no Etudes in that box, Preludes are decent at best and I generaly prefer his earlier recordings. In one word - get it. Well, that was two.

edit: check out fnac, they were selling it for under 20 euros recently (though french shipping fees are usualy outrageous)