Author Topic: New Releases  (Read 1710678 times)

"Harry" and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
Re: New Releases
« Reply #10040 on: May 27, 2020, 12:18:01 PM »
Holst:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #10041 on: Today at 05:55:29 AM »
July update: having attended the world premiere of Christopher Rouse's 5th Symphony here in Dallas, I'm very excited to report that a debut recording is coming on Naxos, featuring the Nashville Symphony and Giancarlo Guerrero. It's paired with the composer's Concerto for Orchestra and Supplica.

Also on Naxos, Barthold Kuijken conducting "The Colorful Telemann," which is apparently just enough to fill a single CD.  ;D

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #10042 on: Today at 06:00:36 AM »
July update: having attended the world premiere of Christopher Rouse's 5th Symphony here in Dallas, I'm very excited to report that a debut recording is coming on Naxos, featuring the Nashville Symphony and Giancarlo Guerrero. It's paired with the composer's Concerto for Orchestra and Supplica.

The Nashville band and Mr Guerrero do good work.  Maybe I finally buy some Rouse.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #10043 on: Today at 06:07:19 AM »

The Nashville band and Mr Guerrero do good work.  Maybe I finally buy some Rouse.
My favorite Rouse albums so far are the NYPO/Gilbert disc and the Flute Concerto written for Sharon Bezaly. The Fifth Symphony is modeled after Beethoven's - it starts with the same rhythmic motif, but violently Rousified with dissonance, piercing brass, and a whole lot of percussion. I remember enjoying it in concert, and I remember the finale containing more bass drum than I have ever heard in a piece before.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #10044 on: Today at 06:22:55 AM »

Long-term planning.  (The back-to-back, post-Covid anniversary years of 2027 and 2028 will be a wondrous time for gluttonous collectors!)

For those collectors who have not snapped up Firkusny's major label recordings in other form.

The world needs a BAZ revival.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Weinberg, Myaskovsky, Rachmaninov, Glazunov, Popov, B. Tchaikovsky, Shchedrin, Dvořák, Martinů, Tubin, Atterberg, Holmboe, Tveitt, Barber, W. Schuman, Copland, Rouse, Bloch, Honegger, Vaughan Williams, Arnold, Walton
« Reply #10045 on: Today at 09:36:10 AM »

YES!!! I’m all over this. Any idea when the release date will be?

Edit: Never mind, I found it: August 28th.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:54:01 AM by Mirror Image »
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich