Author Topic: New Releases  (Read 1969131 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Gustav Mahler (1860 - 1911)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Entartete Musik
Re: New Releases
« Reply #11600 on: May 11, 2021, 05:19:02 PM »
Curious. I would have suggested a difference between the German release date and some others, but then would DG not reflect the German one? Hmm.

Also, this seems to be connected to a series of "Unknown Richard Strauss" albums from roughly 20 years ago. I say that because Karl Anton Rickenbacher is involved in both.

EDIT: Even more interestingly, the German language version of the DG website provides a link direct to JPC. The English language version doesn't.

https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/de/komponisten/richardstrauss

https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/composers/richardstrauss

Yes, indeed. This is just a reissue from that Koch series released many years ago. Curious, that you found that English version DG link. I wonder what exactly is going on here? I’m proud to own this set, but it does make me question the availability of it worldwide.
Don’t forget your four A’s, folks: Alex, Arnie, Alban and Anton

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #11601 on: May 11, 2021, 05:21:09 PM »
I suppose it's conceivable that JPC has some kind of deal where they are the exclusive sellers for a period. Such things do happen.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Entartete Musik
« Reply #11602 on: May 11, 2021, 05:26:45 PM »
I suppose it's conceivable that JPC has some kind of deal where they are the exclusive sellers for a period. Such things do happen.

That’s entirely possible for sure. Anyway, I suppose my fellow Straussians will want to jump on this set via JPC, especially those that missed this series when it was initially released. Per usual with JPC shipping to the US, it was slow, but not as slow as it could’ve been I suppose.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 05:42:00 PM by Mirror Image »

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #11603 on: May 12, 2021, 11:05:49 AM »
That’s entirely possible for sure. Anyway, I suppose my fellow Straussians will want to jump on this set via JPC, especially those that missed this series when it was initially released. Per usual with JPC shipping to the US, it was slow, but not as slow as it could’ve been I suppose.

Already bought/received my copy - very good value although quite a bit is not really that unknown.  Recordings come up well and it certainly helps fill gaps

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #11604 on: May 12, 2021, 01:33:20 PM »
Accidently stumbled across this on Qobuz:

The whole set seems to be there (I'm also aware of the Scribendum set).  It's listed as released by Musical Heritage Society, which was defunct the last I heard.  I wonder what the story is.  There's also Haydn piano sonatas by Arthur Balsam and Bach by Jorg Demus, among other things.

https://play.qobuz.com/label/282457

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Entartete Musik
« Reply #11605 on: May 12, 2021, 02:55:48 PM »
Already bought/received my copy - very good value although quite a bit is not really that unknown.  Recordings come up well and it certainly helps fill gaps

Yeah, it’s good for the filling of gaps, but as you said, a lot of this music wasn’t ‘unknown’ to me. It seems now that I have a rather good sized Strauss collection.