Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on January 14, 2018, 05:28:55 AM

Obsidienne Ensemble, I'm not totally sure what the music is.

I got this a couple of years ago (download from Presto Classical) and recall it as being very beautiful sung (with mixed male-female voices) and putting the mass into liturgical context. I have not made direct comparisons to the Pro Cantione Antiqua recording, which I also own and also recall as being rather eloquent.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 14, 2018, 06:52:51 AM
I got this a couple of years ago (download from Presto Classical) and recall it as being very beautiful sung (with mixed male-female voices) and putting the mass into liturgical context. I have not made direct comparisons to the Pro Cantione Antiqua recording, which I also own and also recall as being rather eloquent.

So, just looking at the cover of that Obsidienne CD, is there a relationship between the Barcelona mass and those Sybil chants that Savall recorded?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 14, 2018, 06:23:13 AM
$60 is quite a lot for the Heidsieck cycle, and I agree that it is a mannered interpretation, but in some way it works for me, while the equally - and not qualitative similar - mannered e.g. Kuerti leaves me cold. Both are probably hit or miss.

One thing that I really enjoyed was the Kuerti Diabelli Variations, I haven't heard the sonatas in fact.

The One

Quote from: king ubu on January 14, 2018, 01:05:51 AM
I enjoyed the Heidsieck cycle a lot ...

I'm surprised that you did. Heidsieck is not a pianist who should be placed on a map of a serious Beethoven listener. Unless you don't mind beginning to listen to your relatives or neighbor's kids playing the cycle. These are important and interpretatively decoded works. I wonder what attracted you in terms of Beethoven  ::)

The One

Quote from: Mandryka on January 14, 2018, 07:28:00 AM
One thing that I really enjoyed was the Kuerti Diabelli Variations, I haven't heard the sonatas in fact.
He is amazing in Opus 16.

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on January 14, 2018, 07:27:01 AM
So, just looking at the cover of that Obsidienne CD, is there a relationship between the Barcelona mass and those Sybil chants that Savall recorded?

I don't know what the connection is to the chants Sybil, but the Barcelona mass is from the 14th century and along with Tournai and Toulouse is one of a few complete polyphonic masses prior to Machaut's.  I am a big fan of the Pro Cantione Antigua, and here is a very good article about the Barcelona and Tournai masses that appeared on this recording:

Mandryka

Yes I have that recording of the Missa Barcelona from Pro Cantione Antiqua -- but it was the mention of the Sybil connection which peeked my interest in Obsidienne. I've been listening to Savall's Sybills today -- enjoying the second most -- and I was curious if there are other ways. I see that Anonymous 4 (who I like very much sometimes, not always. I like the purity of it) have done a Sybil, which I'll try to get hold of too.

Maybe Obsidienne have interspersed some Sybilesque chanting between the M. Barcelona that Pro Cantione Antiqua recorded.

Marc

Quote from: The One on January 14, 2018, 08:32:03 AM
I'm surprised that you did. Heidsieck is not a pianist who should be placed on a map of a serious Beethoven listener. Unless you don't mind beginning to listen to your relatives or neighbor's kids playing the cycle. These are important and interpretatively decoded works. I wonder what attracted you in terms of Beethoven  ::)

I'm mainly attracted in music in terms of myself.
When I like it, I'm attracted to it.

In general, it's a distinctive cycle and I'm glad I have it and can (re)turn to it once in a while.
The same goes f.i. for Pienaar. Kuerti I don't know (yet).

Florestan

Quote from: Marc on January 14, 2018, 09:41:39 AM

+ 1.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mandryka

Quote from: Florestan on January 14, 2018, 09:47:53 AM
+ 1.

I thought of you today, Florestan,  because I stumbled across a recording which I think you'll like - romantic and melodious and full of feelings, like much of Schumann and Schubert, with the cachet of being very early

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on January 14, 2018, 09:11:31 AM
Yes I have that recording of the Missa Barcelona from Pro Cantione Antiqua -- but it was the mention of the Sybil connection which peeked my interest in Obsidienne. I've been listening to Savall's Sybills today -- enjoying the second most -- and I was curious if there are other ways. I see that Anonymous 4 (who I like very much sometimes, not always. I like the purity of it) have done a Sybil, which I'll try to get hold of too.

Even if I own one of Savall's Sybil recordings (the first of them) I have not investigated the relation to Obsidienne's recording, so I don't knov.

Quote from: Mandryka
Maybe Obsidienne have interspersed some Sybilesque chanting between the M. Barcelona that Pro Cantione Antiqua recorded.

No, the Sybil's song is put before the mass. You can see the track listing here:

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8029618--medieval-music-14th-century-chamber-and-vocal-music
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on January 14, 2018, 07:28:00 AM

The Diabelli variations is part of Kuerti's LvB sonata cycle, but I have to regret, that I gave up after several attempts. The Diabelli variations have never done anything for me, whoever was playing them.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: The One on January 14, 2018, 08:32:03 AM

So you think that Todd and I and several others are not serious Beethoven listeners?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Marc on January 14, 2018, 09:41:39 AM

+ 2
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 14, 2018, 10:32:27 AM
Even if I own one of Savall's Sybil recordings (the first of them) I have not investigated the relation to Obsidienne's recording, so I don't knov.

No, the Sybil's song is put before the mass. You can see the track listing here:

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8029618--medieval-music-14th-century-chamber-and-vocal-music

Thanks -- I note that Anonymous 4 play some mass (I don't know which) with Sybil music -- it's a CD called Mass for the end of Time.

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on January 14, 2018, 09:58:49 AM
I thought of you today, Florestan,  because I stumbled across a recording which I think you'll like - romantic and melodious and full of feelings, like much of Schumann and Schubert, with the cachet of being very early

Many thanks! Wishlisted under "high priority".  :)

Mandryka

Quote from: Florestan on January 14, 2018, 10:58:21 AM
Many thanks! Wishlisted on the spot under "high priority".  :)

I just actually came back simultaneously with your post to say that there's a part of it which sounds as if it could be a Grieg song!

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on January 14, 2018, 11:00:54 AM
I just actually came back simultaneously with your post to say that there's a part of it which sounds as if it could be a Grieg song!

Excellent!

king ubu

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 14, 2018, 10:39:53 AM
So you think that Todd and I and several others are not serious Beethoven listeners?

And me double .... oh wait, he didn't quote me yet  ::)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/