Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: North Star on January 19, 2018, 08:47:08 AM
Thanks, though I think I'm more interested in the piano & cello concertos (I've got the violin concertante works in the set already).

I have the Piano Concerti in that set, which I like, although the sound sometimes seems artificial (although satisfying). Another set I like a lot is Ciccolini on EMI France (if you can tolerate sound which is honest but dated). I have it in the giant Ciccolini box, I think it is not hard to find in a smaller set.

The Cello concerti I have in a hodgepodge of recordings.

Jo498

For the violin concerti (+ other works) I have Hoelscher. It seems mostly justified that the 3rd concerto is by far the best known... And a single disc with symphonies 1+2 with Pretre. It seems mostly justified that the 3rd symphony is by far the best known... I don't have a recording of the uncounted A major and Urbs Roma.

For the piano concerti there are many options, the one below also has two short works not included in the 5-disc-box, I think. Not sure of any budget cello concerti (there must be Kliegel on Naxos, I guess) - this is a case where the dominance of the first concerto is not quite justified. The disc with tone poems included in the five disc set is very good, probably the best collection of these pieces (usually one has only one or two as fillers) and might be findable in an earlier incarnation as a single. If you find the 5-disc-set cheaply it will be worth it for two discs and some nice alternatives to what you already have.

[asin]B000005GQ8[/asin] [asin]B0002XV30Q[/asin]
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Jo498 on January 19, 2018, 08:55:45 AM[asin]B0002XV30Q[/asin]

I wish you hadn't mentioned that. Now I'm curious, and I don't need any more Saint-Saens. :)

Jo498

I think the piano concerti (certainly 2 and 4) are among the works that can merit another recording (or two) in one's collection although I am not a huge fan of the composer either (his chamber music is underrated, though).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

blablawsky

Quote from: GioCar on January 19, 2018, 05:52:53 AM
I think it's very good the latest one by Stradivarius:

The samples sound good. I'll listen to it, thanks. Have you heard the recent recording by Kairos? Here's a link to the release: https://www.kairos-music.com/cds/0015021kai

North Star

Quote from: Jo498 on January 19, 2018, 08:55:45 AM
For the violin concerti (+ other works) I have Hoelscher. It seems mostly justified that the 3rd concerto is by far the best known... And a single disc with symphonies 1+2 with Pretre. It seems mostly justified that the 3rd symphony is by far the best known... I don't have a recording of the uncounted A major and Urbs Roma.

For the piano concerti there are many options, the one below also has two short works not included in the 5-disc-box, I think. Not sure of any budget cello concerti (there must be Kliegel on Naxos, I guess) - this is a case where the dominance of the first concerto is not quite justified. The disc with tone poems included in the five disc set is very good, probably the best collection of these pieces (usually one has only one or two as fillers) and might be findable in an earlier incarnation as a single. If you find the 5-disc-set cheaply it will be worth it for two discs and some nice alternatives to what you already have.
Thanks, looks like I'll keep an eye for the prices of the 5 disc set, then. (and yeah I don't recall being very impressed with VC's 1 & 2)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on January 19, 2018, 09:05:56 AM
I wish you hadn't mentioned that. Now I'm curious, and I don't need any more Saint-Saens. :)

8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 19, 2018, 09:32:08 AM
8)

I've suppressed the urge by reminding myself that Collard is a "Faure Pianists." (No contradictions please.)

North Star

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on January 19, 2018, 09:41:54 AM
I've suppressed the urge by reminding myself that Collard is a "Faure Pianists." (No contradictions please.)
If it's any help, Sarge and MI think it's their least favourite set of the SS concertos..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: North Star on January 19, 2018, 09:43:55 AM
If it's any help, Sarge and MI think it's their least favourite set of the SS concertos..

Oh dear, that's riling up the contrarian side of my character. :)  (Faure, Faure, Faure, Faure...)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on January 19, 2018, 09:46:51 AM
Oh dear, that's riling up the contrarian side of my character. :)  (Faure, Faure, Faure, Faure...)

Hah!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jo498

Quote from: North Star on January 19, 2018, 09:43:55 AM
To be unhelpful: The Collard is generally highly regarded (and I think I prefer it to Rogé's but I am very far from an expert in this music). It is also a cheapo twofer so no big deal to find out what one thinks about it.
- Blaise Pascal

Baron Scarpia

Time is the issue, more than money.

kishnevi

I have this

which you can get as part of an OOP Brilliant set that includes the Martinon symphonies and Hoelscher's works for violin and orchestra.

Personally, I found the first two symphonies forgettable, and that for the concertante works and the  Third Symphony,  there is no need to collect alternative recordings.

GioCar

Quote from: blablawsky on January 19, 2018, 09:18:56 AM
The samples sound good. I'll listen to it, thanks. Have you heard the recent recording by Kairos? Here's a link to the release: https://www.kairos-music.com/cds/0015021kai

No I haven't, I wasn't aware of it but right now I'm enjoying Nidi (i.e. Bird's Nests) for piccolo solo. What a charming piece! Thanks for pointing that album out.

XB-70 Valkyrie

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

ritter

After recently seeing an exhibition works by Giorgio de Chirico (an artist I'm ambivalent about, to be honest) here in Madrid, I'm considering the purchase of this CD:

Alberto Savinio, whose real name was Andrea Francesco Alberto de Chirico, was Giorgio's younger brother, and was active as a painter, writer and composer, Apparently, he studied under Reger and composed only sporadically, the works contained in this CD dating from around the outbreak of WWI. Some chunks are available on YouTube.

Incidentally, Savinio directed and designed the sets for the performances of Rossini's Armida in Florence in 1952  (starring Maria Callas). If I understand correctly, Savinio died just days before after the premiere at the Maggio Musicale.

This is a (clearly "de Chirican") set design for the second act:

[asin]B071WTB7HX[/asin]

Turner

Quote from: ritter on January 22, 2018, 06:37:04 AM
After recently seeing an exhibition works by Giorgio de Chirico (an artist I'm ambivalent about, to be honest) here in Madrid, I'm considering the purchase of this CD:

Alberto Savinio, whose real name was Andrea Francesco Alberto de Chirico, was Giorgio's younger brother, and was active as a painter, writer and composer, Apparently, he studied under Reger and composed only sporadically, the works contained in this CD dating from around the outbreak of WWI. Some chunks are available on YouTube.

Incidentally, Savinio designed the sets for the performances of Rossini's Armida in Florence in 1952  (starring Maria Callas):

Interesting information thanks, and, I´m pretty sure, not known to many people ... I looked up this general wiki entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberto_Savinio
Italian wiki has a list of some of the music https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberto_Savinio

Karl Henning

FWIW, I understand the ambivalence towards di Chirico.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Spineur

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 22, 2018, 07:00:37 AM
FWIW, I understand the ambivalence towards di Chirico.
I was a total nut of di Chirico earlier in my life.  I still like him a lot. If I could buy one of his work at a fair price, I would no hesitate a second.