Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 11, 2018, 06:47:17 PM
:)

Yep, I'd say I'm a frequent contributor to that thread, but it seems that currently my purchases have been much more infrequent. I hope to keep it this way. [Crossing fingers...]

Well, it all depends on the size of your house....   ;)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Todd

Quote from: Brian on May 11, 2018, 09:00:31 AM
What Chopin Institute label CDs are essential? They're on sale at MDT and sales are rare with this label (I think).

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Draško

Quote from: Draško on May 11, 2018, 03:23:51 PM
Not really essential, but I remember liking Goerner's recording of Ballades.

And his more recent Nocturnes, on Alpha, are not bad either.

Mookalafalas

[asin]B07765H5DK[/asin]

This wasn't really even on my radar, but just saw it in my shop for about $117 with tax, and am suddenly very intrigued.
  Are we looking at a lot of less-standard repertoire in excellent sound? I was initially thinking he was a very young, up-and-coming conductor, but apparently he's been recording for 30 years already...
It's all good...

North Star

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 13, 2018, 03:38:12 AM
   This wasn't really even on my radar, but just saw it in my shop for about $117 with tax, and am suddenly very intrigued.
  Are we looking at a lot of less-standard repertoire in excellent sound? I was initially thinking he was a very young, up-and-coming conductor, but apparently he's been recording for 30 years already...
Salonen has recorded lots of modern and contemporary music, including his own. The recordings I know from him are in superb sound for sure.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Brian

The Salonen Big Box is one of a small handful of recent Big Boxes that I am even considering purchasing. The others are Munch/Boston, Kubelik/DG, and oddly Ozawa/Philips. Perhaps I should cross-post to the Box Blather thread for people's opinions on these...

Baron Scarpia

Salonen's recordings of works not his own have not particularly impressed me. Munch and Kubelik are not favorites of mine, despite their reputations as legendary conductors. Ozawa, well, the less said the better. :)

One conductor that I used to dismiss that I now have become interested in in Zubin Mehta. Decca has released at least one big box focusing on Mehta, but despite a title which seems to suggest it is complete, it is just a selection.

[asin]B00RUF0BCK[/asin]

If they made a complete Mehta box, I'd be hard pressed to resist it.

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on May 13, 2018, 03:03:59 PM
The Salonen Big Box is one of a small handful of recent Big Boxes that I am even considering purchasing. The others are Munch/Boston, Kubelik/DG, and oddly Ozawa/Philips. Perhaps I should cross-post to the Box Blather thread for people's opinions on these...

I have a fair bit of Munch/Boston stereo and find it all first rate.
I have an Ozawa DG box which I like quite a bit.

Mahlerian

Quote from: Brian on May 13, 2018, 03:03:59 PM

Ozawa's Takemitsu recording that I have from Philips is okay, but his Mahler 5 is the worst version of that symphony I've heard.  Perhaps that will entice some people to buy it...
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Mahlerian on May 13, 2018, 05:34:45 PM
Ozawa's Takemitsu recording that I have from Philips is okay, but his Mahler 5 is the worst version of that symphony I've heard.  Perhaps that will entice some people to buy it...

Worse than Karajan! I'm impressed! :)

Ken B

Quote from: Mahlerian on May 13, 2018, 05:34:45 PM
The best I have heard is Levine's.

Brian

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 13, 2018, 05:02:28 PM
Salonen's recordings of works not his own have not particularly impressed me.
Perhaps more streaming research is necessary - last week I listened to three or four Salonen albums, enjoyed the Debussy Nocturnes and Images a good bit but found a (Deutsche Grammophon) Mussorgsky "Night..." to be rather too civilized and tamed.

EDIT: Even though it would not be in the Sony box, I am opinionated about Night on the Bald Mountain so: Salonen gets lots of brownie points for using the original version instead of the lame, tame, fizzle-ended Rimsky version. But for uncivilized Stravinskian rhythmic chaos, he can't get anywhere near Kuchar's version on Naxos or, surprisingly, Abbado/BPO/DG.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 13, 2018, 03:38:12 AM
[asin]B07765H5DK[/asin]

Salonen is an interesting conductor, but strangely enough I don't turn to him for anything I listen to with a few notable exceptions: his recordings with Lisa Batiashvili in Shostakovich's Violin Concerto No. 1 and Hilary Hahn in the Schoenberg/Sibelius VCs (Hahn's Sibelius VC is the best I've ever heard and remains my reference), but, of course, both of these performances are on Deutsche Grammophon.

Moonfish

I'm curious about Salonen's Nielsen and Stravinsky recordings....     :-\
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 13, 2018, 07:19:40 PM
Salonen is an interesting conductor, but strangely enough I don't turn to him for anything I listen to with a few notable exceptions: his recordings with Lisa Batiashvili in Shostakovich's Violin Concerto No. 1 and Hilary Hahn in the Schoenberg/Sibelius VCs (Hahn's Sibelius VC is the best I've ever heard and remains my reference), but, of course, both of these performances are on Deutsche Grammophon.

I still find his Turangalila one of the best.  And his Lutoslawski is also tops.

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Moonfish on May 13, 2018, 07:38:03 PM

The Nielsen is the one that stands out in my mind as just rather dull.

Madiel

Salonen's recording of the Sibelius and Nielsen violin concertos is rather highly regarded and is on my shopping list.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Quote from: Moonfish on May 13, 2018, 07:38:03 PM
Sony is releasing Salonen Nielsen and Stravinsky in separate, much smaller and cheaper boxes. The "white box" series with no notes, just CDs in sleeves, usually at less than $2 per disc.

Mahlerian

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 13, 2018, 05:46:01 PM
Worse than Karajan! I'm impressed! :)

Even a perverse interpretation can be preferable to an inept performance.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on May 13, 2018, 07:38:09 PM
I still find his Turangalila one of the best.  And his Lutoslawski is also tops.

I wouldn't know about the Messiaen (one of my least favorite major 20th Century composers) and, yes, his Lutoslawski is quite good indeed.