Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traverso

Que

Quote from: Traverso on August 30, 2018, 09:56:31 AM
Is it Schubert you dislike or Dieskau?

Dieskau was great when young (EMI) and live (Orfeo).
His later out-of-prime voice (chain smoking) psycho drama attracted me at first, but now I'm totally over it...  8)

Q

Florestan

Quote from: Que on August 30, 2018, 10:34:36 AM
Dieskau was great when young (EMI) and live (Orfeo).
His later out-of-prime voice (chain smoking) psycho drama attracted me at first, but now I'm totally over it...  8)

Q

Who are your favorite Schubert singers?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Brian

ArkivMusic has the Salonen Sony box set (61 CDs) on sale for $105 and I am very sorely tempted.

akebergv

Quote from: Brian on August 31, 2018, 03:40:04 PM
ArkivMusic has the Salonen Sony box set (61 CDs) on sale for $105 and I am very sorely tempted.

I have listened to about 2/3 of its content, mainly 20th century music for a change, and enjoyed almost all of it.

André

Anybody knowa this composer/these works ?

Any good ?

Florestan

Quote from: André on September 03, 2018, 05:11:10 AM
Anybody knowa this composer/these works ?

Any good ?

The violinist is very good.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

André

Hmmmm... That doesn't amount to an endorsement, I guess 
:)

Florestan

Quote from: André on September 03, 2018, 07:14:50 AM
Hmmmm... That doesn't amount to an endorsement, I guess 
:)

It's a blind endorsement for the performance, which is probably very good at least as far as the violinist is concerned. But the composer is completely unkown to me.

André

I may try it, then. It regularly surfaces among the bargain bins of Amazon.

André

How about this one ?

I'm not pining after another WTC, but I see the only harpsichord version I have is Blandine Verlet's. I guess Koopman must be rather different.

Any thoughts ?

Mandryka

I don't know the Bk 1 very well, I think the Bk 2 is rather good though. But really, anything is going to be different from Verlet, and Koopman is quite unique in his own way too - embellishments everywhere, speed, accuracy, intensity. In WTC2 it's  effectively and tastefully done I'd say.

Koopman is a seriously original thinker. Love him or loathe him what he does is often provocative and stimulating.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

André

Thanks, that settles the matter  ;). I'm particularly fond of Book I. I'll place the order for these items.

Mandryka

Cinquecento Guyot sacred songs, I liked their recording of Guyot chansons, so I'm tempted by this.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

MickeyBoy

Quote from: Todd on June 10, 2017, 11:53:32 AM

I'm considering getting the high res download directly from the Berlin Philharmonic.  It's $50, and purchasers get not one, but seven different download formats with the purchase.

Please let us know the sound quality once you have had a chance to listen.
...the sound of a low whisper

MickeyBoy

Quote from: Madiel on August 25, 2018, 09:42:43 PM
Possibly going to buy this, with the Barber string quartet the main drawcard but the rest is interesting too.

As far as I can gather, you get 2 discs in here, one is a regular CD and one is "Blu-Ray audio". Which is damn annoying frankly, if they want to offer 2 formats they should offer them separately, not get people to pay for 2 copies of the same music.

I disagree strongly. If the price is comparable to a single CD or Blu-Ray, then this is a good thing. Those of you without the ability to handle a Blu-Ray have your CDs, those like me who starve for new Blu-Ray issues have what we crave. The new DG Schubert-Kempff setr is another dual issue.
...the sound of a low whisper

Madiel

Quote from: MickeyBoy on September 13, 2018, 06:47:11 AM
If the price is comparable to a single CD or Blu-Ray, then this is a good thing.

But it is not comparable. It is more expensive than a single CD would be.

Which is why it did not find its way into my shopping cart in my recent set of purchases. It cost more than any other disc I was looking at.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

I'm seeing EMI/Warner/Erato "Icon" box sets on sale featuring comprehensive collections of French music conducted by Armin Jordan, Georges Pretre, and Louis Fremaux. I already have their Jean Martinon "Icon". Should I grab one or more of the others? Any fans here?

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I just got the Armin Jordan box. It is Erato Disques (not just catalog that Warner bought which is vaguely French).  I have about 1/3 of it already in the original releases, all superb, in my opinion.

Biffo

Quote from: Brian on September 14, 2018, 07:30:36 PM
I'm seeing EMI/Warner/Erato "Icon" box sets on sale featuring comprehensive collections of French music conducted by Armin Jordan, Georges Pretre, and Louis Fremaux. I already have their Jean Martinon "Icon". Should I grab one or more of the others? Any fans here?

I have all four of the Icon boxes you mentioned. I have had the Martinon for quite sometime but only purchased the other three fairly recently. I have only just started working my way through the Pretre box and so can't comment. To be honest I don't think I would buy either of the other two again. The Jordan box is all French repertoire and better performances are available elsewhere for most (all?) of it, notably from Martinon. The Fremaux box is a bit more diverse but still heavily French though slightly more adventurous. I would look at the content and try and decide whether you really want it. None of the performances are complete duds but I have better recordings of the Berlioz Requiem and can live without the disc of opera and operetta arias.