Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 22, 2019, 08:22:31 AM
That's fine with me. So many cellists seem intent on discovering profundity where Bach intended fun!

That's the power of the ideas I was referring to in another thread! Everybody knows that Bach's music is serious and profound, ergo it should be played seriously and "profoundly".
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Florestan on May 22, 2019, 10:36:50 AM
That's the power of the ideas I was referring to in another thread! Everybody knows that Bach's music is serious and profound, ergo it should be played seriously and "profoundly".

Now I'm losing track of what you are arguing. First German music was unpleasantly monumental, now it is not monumental, it is just that performers brainwashed by musicologists try to monumentalize it? Not only are the goal posts moving, but they seem to be turning around. :)

I like German music, I like French Music, I like Italian Music, I like British music, I like Russian music, I like Czech music, I like xxx music. Particularly in olden days they all had their unique national flavor, some countries produced more of it than others, but I find it impossible to describe the music of any given country using simple categories. What I mainly notice is that market conditions in the various countries seemed to encourage production of different varieties of music at different times.

Florestan

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 22, 2019, 01:22:46 PM
Now I'm losing track of what you are arguing.

I was just commenting on what you wrote yourself:

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 22, 2019, 08:22:31 AM
So many cellists seem intent on discovering profundity where Bach intended fun!

What is the reason for this, in your opinion?

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 22, 2019, 01:22:46 PM
I like German music, I like French Music, I like Italian Music, I like British music, I like Russian music, I like Czech music, I like xxx music.

So do I.

Madiel

Is anyone familiar with any of these (partially) Barber recordings?

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on June 01, 2019, 03:47:58 AM
Is anyone familiar with any of these (partially) Barber recordings?

Yes, Barber is one of my favorites. The Shaw performance of Prayers of Kierkegaard is pretty good, but I find Schenck's performance to have the edge given that he has the CSO at his disposal. I'm still waiting on a performance that bests both of these recordings, though. The Lovers is a gorgeous work and one that isn't discussed much when listeners are talking about Barber. The recording on Rondeau with the German forces is excellent, but I recommend this recording over that one:

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 01, 2019, 05:36:18 AM
Yes, Barber is one of my favorites. The Shaw performance of Prayers of Kierkegaard is pretty good, but I find Schenck's performance to have the edge given that he has the CSO at his disposal. I'm still waiting on a performance that bests both of these recordings, though. The Lovers is a gorgeous work and one that isn't discussed much when listeners are talking about Barber. The recording on Rondeau with the German forces is excellent, but I recommend this recording over that one:

That recording is simply not an option as far as I'm concerned because it is a chamber arrangement done for the recording, not the original as composed by Barber.

For Kierkegaard, you're okay with Schenck's live recording? It's not noisy?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on June 01, 2019, 05:43:21 AM
That recording is simply not an option as far as I'm concerned because it is a chamber arrangement done for the recording, not the original as composed by Barber.

For Kierkegaard, you're okay with Schenck's live recording? It's not noisy?

Personally, I think the arrangement (by Robert Kyr) adds rather than subtracts. I don't care whether it was done by Barber or not, you cannot deny that this performance isn't well-done. It's a viable alternative to the full orchestra version and the more intimate atmosphere afforded by the chamber orchestra is quite simply gorgeous. You have to remember that this arrangement stays true to the work in that nothing is changed except the size of the orchestra. If this bothers you that badly then go with the one on Rondeau. Either way, The Lovers is a must-hear work from Barber. As for the Schenck live recording of Prayers of Kierkegaard, I could detect very little audience noise (the best I can remember) and, IMHO, this performance is the only game in town until we get another recording of it to weigh it against.

Mirror Image

How does everyone feel about Pierné's chamber and solo piano music? I already own around 3-4 recordings of his orchestral music and was curious if there any recordings of his chamber/piano music that are worth picking up? I know there's several recordings on Timpani (and perhaps Hyperion).

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 02, 2019, 06:43:05 AM
How does everyone feel about Pierné's chamber and solo piano music? I already own around 3-4 recordings of his orchestral music and was curious if there any recordings of his chamber/piano music that are worth picking up? I know there's several recordings on Timpani (and perhaps Hyperion).

Buy them !

Mirror Image

André

It is. Few chamber music sets/corpus have given as much pleasure as these 4 discs. Single works are available but coupled with works you probably already have (piano trio, cello sonata...).

ritter

You guys are evil, evil I say  ;D.  Now I'm tempted  ::). I really enjoyed Pierné's Ramuntcho Suites and the Piano Concerto (particularly the scherzo)  the last time I revisited them (after many yeras).

André

I should add that volume 2 is probably the place to start. IMO the programme is more varied and substantial.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on June 02, 2019, 07:28:10 AM
You guys are evil, evil I say  ;D.  Now I'm tempted  ::). I really enjoyed Pierné's Ramuntcho Suites and the Piano Concerto (particularly the scherzo)  the last time I revisited them (after many yeras).

Do you know these recordings, Rafael?

They're both magical to say the least.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on June 02, 2019, 07:51:08 AM
I should add that volume 2 is probably the place to start. IMO the programme is more varied and substantial.

Very good to know. Thanks, Andre. 8)

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 02, 2019, 08:24:04 AM
Do you know these recordings, Rafael?

They're both magical to say the least.
Good day, John. No, I don't know either of those discs. My Pierné collection consists of these:

. .

So, of the works contained in the CDs you posted, only L'An Mil seems to be missing.

Quote from: André on June 02, 2019, 07:51:08 AM
Thanks for that, André. But I went for volume 1, because it contains Giration, a work I knew (conducted by the composer) from an LP I had decades ago (which I bought for Reynaldo Hahn's Concerto provençal conducted by Oubradous), and I vaguely recall enjoying it. BTW, anyone old enough here to remember these (bootleg, I presume) LP releases, with their distinctive blue sleeves?  ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on June 02, 2019, 11:11:20 AM
Good day, John. No, I don't know either of those discs. My Pierné collection consists of these:

. .

So, of the works contained in the CDs you posted, only L'An Mil seems to be missing.

8) Looks like you've got quite a lot of older Pierné recordings. I own that Martinon, too, but I vastly prefer the Timpani recording to Martinon's. L'An Mil is a gorgeous work. As far as the Piano Concerto, I own the Bavouzet recording on Chandos:

[asin]B004DEKOYG[/asin]

Also, I own this one:

[asin]B010W2QMGG[/asin]

Maestro267

Two 20th-century symphony cycles I am quite intrigued by and will hope to collect in the coming I-don't-know-how-long...those by Laszlo Lajtha (9) and Alexander Moyzes (12). Both have recently been reissued on Naxos, with the final volume of the latter composer coming this month. I've ordered Lajtha's Symphonies Nos. 8 & 9 to start with.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: ritter on June 02, 2019, 11:11:20 AM

My experience is that Dervaux/Pays de Loire is a great combination (based on their d'Indy recordings).

I have to keep reminding myself that Pierne and Vierne are two different composers and they are more-or-less polar opposites. :)