Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

I'm wondering whether anyone (most likely in Europe) has encountered this edition of this recording, and knows whether the booklet includes libretti and/or translations.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

pjme

Hi, indeed this cd has libretti but no translations.
However, here
https://archive.org/stream/mbid-86114d7a-c3cf-440d-af82-d47178e0e0c8/mbid-86114d7a-c3cf-440d-af82-d47178e0e0c8-17926493083_djvu.txt
you can find all the information + an english translation.
I do like the early Ravel choruses and Debussy's Printemps is very "charmant" aswell. "Myrrha" I don't remember... Will listen later.

Peter

Madiel

Quote from: pjme on September 19, 2019, 01:43:22 AM
Hi, indeed this cd has libretti but no translations.
However, here
https://archive.org/stream/mbid-86114d7a-c3cf-440d-af82-d47178e0e0c8/mbid-86114d7a-c3cf-440d-af82-d47178e0e0c8-17926493083_djvu.txt
you can find all the information + an english translation.
I do like the early Ravel choruses and Debussy's Printemps is very "charmant" aswell. "Myrrha" I don't remember... Will listen later.

Peter

Thanks. I actually knew about the download and the Chandos website has that Marco Polo edition as well. But it's helpful to know the French edition at least has the libretti in French.

You might not have seen my problems on the Purchases Today thread where I ran into trouble trying to buy the Marco Polo edition. It seems the French Naxos version is much easier to buy and I might choose that instead. At least 2 sellers have it in stock.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

j winter

After greatly enjoying Norrington's Haydn London symphonies, I just yesterday stumbled upon a very cheap used copy of his 2nd Beethoven set with the same forces.  Now I'm considering his Mozart to round things out (though these are not as cheap, alas)... anyone have an opinion on these?

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Todd

Eight discs of Second Viennese School recordings in sure to be over-indulgent performances, including a recording with Andrea Lucchesini that I do not own.  Could be hard to resist.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

Quote from: Todd on September 21, 2019, 03:30:55 PM

Eight discs of Second Viennese School recordings in sure to be over-indulgent performances, including a recording with Andrea Lucchesini that I do not own.  Could be hard to resist.

That is apparently a reissue of this box.

I have it, but I am not a fan overall of the Second Viennese, so I can't judge it fairly.  But if Lucchesini is the primary draw, this is available used for about $9

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ken B

Quote from: Todd on September 21, 2019, 03:30:55 PM

Another one for the worst cover art thread ...

Madiel

I reckon he's just been stung by some kind of insect that was hiding in his clothes.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Mandryka on September 28, 2019, 11:36:41 PM

Something tells me his interpretation is not going to be of the airy and delicate type.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

The new erato

Alek Hidell

Quote from: The new erato on October 01, 2019, 01:52:51 AM
Rather Bruce Willis like, this.

That's what I thought, too: the bastard offspring of Bruce Willis and Vin Diesel. :)
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on September 28, 2019, 11:36:41 PM

Quote from: Alek Hidell on September 30, 2019, 07:46:36 PM
Something tells me his interpretation is not going to be of the airy and delicate type.

Never saw Montanari's picture before!  His style is more elegant than his appearance suggest... :D though also strong and daring. His Corelli is on top of my list.

I would be interested this new recording. The catalogue has plenty of room for a (presumably) different approach from one of the Italian Baroque masters. Though Enrico Onofri did a single disc in an obscure label, now reissued on Pascacaille and is reportedly very good. For some reason, he is dragging his feet to record the rest.....

[asin]B01N4PJ8CV[/asin]
Q

Mandryka

Mandryka

And here's Montanari's 1004, the recording itself is available through amazon with their ASIN code B00R7APRR2.

https://soundcloud.com/stefano-montanari-2/sets/jsbach-sonate-e-partite-cd2

[asin]B00R7APRR2[/asin]

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 03, 2019, 07:00:04 AM
And here's Montanari's 1004, the recording itself is available through amazon with their ASIN code B00R7APRR2.

https://soundcloud.com/stefano-montanari-2/sets/jsbach-sonate-e-partite-cd2

[asin]B00R7APRR2[/asin]

The Amadeus recording is about 10 years old or more. Once I did own it, but culled it because I found Montanari much too willful to my taste. I suppose the Cantus set is another and relatively new recording.

IMO willfulness spoils the S&P (Monica Huggett, Sirkka-Liisa Kaakinen) but not the cello suites as much (Angela East)..
γνῶθι σεαυτόν