Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on October 12, 2019, 08:38:08 AM
What sort of musician are you?

For the first half of my career I was a jazz bassist, for the last 25 years I've been a professional songwriter in Nashville.  But I got a music degree in theory & composition and played in local symphony orchestras while in school. 

Mandryka

Gosh it looks like you've really dedicated your life to music!

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on October 12, 2019, 09:24:45 AM
Gosh it looks like you've really dedicated your life to music!

While I've had other jobs, music has been the overwhelming constant throughout.  From the time I was around nine or ten, I've been obsessed with music in some way or another. In a couple of months, I will be 68.

JBS

Quote from: Mandryka on October 12, 2019, 06:52:47 AM
Yes a friend of mine said that but I'll tell you the truth, I don't have a great visual imagination. I can barely visualise a blue triangle.  I just don't think or feel in pictures.

Same here. 

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on October 12, 2019, 09:00:22 AM
For the first half of my career I was a jazz bassist, for the last 25 years I've been a professional songwriter in Nashville.  But I got a music degree in theory & composition and played in local symphony orchestras while in school.

Quote from: San Antone on October 12, 2019, 09:28:33 AM
While I've had other jobs, music has been the overwhelming constant throughout.  From the time I was around nine or ten, I've been obsessed with music in some way or another. In a couple of months, I will be 68.

Cool!

My obssession with music started when I was around 14 but it obviously wasn't strong enough to make me pursue a musical career. --- or better said, I was too shy and introvert to push my parents into providing me a music education besides my regular schooling. My biggest frustration is not being able to play an instrument. If I were to start anew, I'd go studying the piano. In December I will be 47. (Many people have told me that actually I could even now start learning to play the piano, obviously not as a professional but for my own pleasure --- do you think they are right?)
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on October 12, 2019, 10:55:12 AM
Same here.

I'm not very visual myself when it comes to music --- I mean, my reactions to it are primarily in the realm of emotional and mind states, but the first image that spontaneously popped in mind when reading about "a blue triangle" was this:

(imagine all objects colored blue)
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Moonfish

Perhaps we can all learn to play and master the triangle...?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Florestan

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on October 12, 2019, 11:15:34 AM
Cool!

My obssession with music started when I was around 14 but it obviously wasn't strong enough to make me pursue a musical career. --- or better said, I was too shy and introvert to push my parents into providing me a music education besides my regular schooling. My biggest frustration is not being able to play an instrument. If I were to start anew, I'd go studying the piano. In December I will be 47. (Many people have told me that actually I could even now start learning to play the piano, obviously not as a professional but for my own pleasure --- do you think they are right?)

Why not? Buy a basic digital keyboard to start learning  with. You can always by the Bosendorfer later.
How old is your son now? You might be able to get him interested in music by learning together with him.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on October 12, 2019, 11:30:51 AM
Why not? Buy a basic digital keyboard to start learning  with. You can always by the Bosendorfer later.

:D

QuoteHow old is your son now? You might be able to get him interested in music by learning together with him.

He'll be 7 next March. I''ll certainly have him tested by a music teacher* but I am not going to push music on him if he shows no interest. I don't want to transfer my frustration upon him.

* Actually, 2 years ago I took him to a piano teacher. She taught him some very basic digitation, upon which he stated "I know better than that!" and started banging all over the keyboard. The lady told me "Come back in a couple of years, it's too early now."

Plus, I've already bought him a very basic digital keyboard --- too small for me --- which he likes to "play" every now and then.

San Antone

Cool!

Absolutely!  Learning to play the piano is not really hard, but it does take a commitment of time and practice.  But the rewards are immeasurable. 

When I was a child it was still a time when most people had a piano and one or all of their children took lessons since it was considered part of a well-rounded education to be able to play.  Over time, this attitude was lost.  I think that if more members of an audience could play the piano, or any instrument, their appreciation of the music they hear would increase.

Good luck!

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on October 12, 2019, 11:51:20 AM
Absolutely!  Learning to play the piano is not really hard, but it does take a commitment of time and practice.  But the rewards are immeasurable.

I have plenty of time at my disposal. What I momentarily lack is money to buy a decent, large enough keyboard.

When I was a child it was still a time when most people had a piano and one or all of their children took lessons since it was considered part of a well-rounded education to be able to play.  Over time, this attitude was lost.

Blame it on the advent of the recorded music, which greatly reduced the need for, or the incentive to, music-making at home.(Don't get me wrong, I'm only too happy to be able to listen to whatever music I want, whenever I want --- but still)

QuoteI think that if more members of an audience could play the piano, or any instrument, their appreciation of the music they hear would increase.

Absolutely.

Good luck!

Thank you very much! Your encouragement is much appreciated.

mc ukrneal

Cool!

I would suggest taking a few lessons. Even what you learn from just that will be immensely helpful in your listening, appreciation and understanding. You can decide to stop after a few, but then you might become even more interested. Who knows what the future holds.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Ken B

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 12, 2019, 04:49:57 PM
I would suggest taking a few lessons. Even what you learn from just that will be immensely helpful in your listening, appreciation and understanding. You can decide to stop after a few, but then you might become even more interested. Who knows what the future holds.

Nothing ventured, no pudding.

Pat B

(Many people have told me that actually I could even now start learning to play the piano, obviously not as a professional but for my own pleasure --- do you think they are right?)

Yes.

Mandryka

Can anyone comment on the sound quality of this transfer? There's a positive review here but I am by nature cautious Of any sort of cleaning up.

http://souvenirsdescarpates.blogspot.com/2009/07/enesco-bach-beethoven.html

QuoteJ'avais trouvé à Bucarest un CD local avec le même enregistrement, accompagné de la 2e Sonate de Schumann, toujours avec Chailley-Richez, et l'Andante de la sonate BWV 1003 de Bach. Dois-je le dire ? le report est très nettement en faveur de Forgotten Records. Le CD roumain a bénéficié selon les mots mêmes de Ana-Maria Avram d'un traitement informatisé créé par elle-même et utilisé ici "en première mondiale". Mais le "No noise" (nettoyage des bruits parasites) donne à entendre les musiciens comme au sortir d'une fosse étroite : spectre confiné, signal excessivement artificiel, voire (c'est mon cas) impossibilité de supporter le son plus d'une dizaine de minutes. En comparaison, le report Forgotten Records respire largement, et offre un réel confort d'écoute.

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 20, 2019, 01:30:21 AM

Can anyone comment on the sound quality of this transfer? There's a positive review here but I am by nature cautious Of any sort of cleaning up.

http://souvenirsdescarpates.blogspot.com/2009/07/enesco-bach-beethoven.html

I have not heard this recording, but I own about 30 other releases from Forgotten Records. In many cases I have owned or at least known the original LPs, and I have not yet met any release from Forgotten Records, which I thought was over-filtered.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν