Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Brahms - Piano Quartets on period instruments - currently own the two modern instrument performances (below, top) - listening now - both are excellent w/ great reviews (Domus older from the 80s & Hamelin a newer recording); but I always like to have a PI recording if the era is appropriate - there does not seem to be much available; however, I did find this 2-CD set on Amazon by the Primrose Piano Quartet for $25 (Presto - MP3 DL, $10 - FLAC (CD-quality), $12).

The Primrose recording has a fascinating story (more HERE) w/ the use of 3 different historic 19th century pianos - the reviews have been mixed (see attachment) and the last image below from BBC Magazine.  SO, has anyone heard these Primrose recordings, OR are there other PI performances of these works that I cannot locate at the moment?  Comments appreciated, as usual - Dave :)

P.S. Just checked and these are available on Spotify - will give them a listen shortly.

JBS

Quote from: T. D. on January 03, 2020, 04:29:18 PM
This one is outstanding!

As reported on the Purchases thread, I ordered that one.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Roy Bland

I was quite uncertain to buy (composer was a songwriter).But it seems an interesting item

Que

I'm considering getting several items in this series with Ensemble Organum recordings:

But... could anyone confirm that there are NO texts with the CD issue?  ???

Q

Jo498

I don't know but mass texts are certainly public domain and easily accessible from catholic liturgical sites. Or blow the dust from your old latin textbook and have a look inside :D
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on January 12, 2020, 12:09:49 PM
I don't know but mass texts are certainly public domain and easily accessible from catholic liturgical sites. Or blow the dust from your old latin textbook and have a look inside :D

Not to mention that I should have thought Que knew the Latin Mass by heart considering how many of them he must have heard by now.  :D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on January 12, 2020, 01:52:51 AM
I'm considering getting several items in this series with Ensemble Organum recordings:

But... could anyone confirm that there are NO texts with the CD issue?  ???

Q

I don't own any of these new releases, but a friend of mine told me that in the Templars recording there's an essay, but not the text of the chants.

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on January 12, 2020, 12:27:45 PM
I don't own any of these new releases, but a friend of mine told me that in the Templars recording there's an essay, but not the text of the chants.

The essay should do, ain't it?  ;D

Jo498

I thought it was not only the standard mass kernel but some more texts but they also have been roughtly the same for like 1500 years in the Western Church and should be easy to find.
Quaerendo invenietis!
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Que

Quote from: Florestan on January 12, 2020, 12:12:21 PM
Not to mention that I should have thought Que knew the Latin Mass by heart considering how many of them he must have heard by now.  :D

OK, OK... Not every issue in the series has (Latin) masses on it, obviously.
Besides, most sung texts, liturgical or otherwise  (songs, opera) are usually to be found somewhere but there is always the matter of convenience.

Quote from: Mandryka on January 12, 2020, 12:27:45 PM

I read something indicating that as well. Why not include the texts of the chants is eluding me.

So, I guess the series doesn't come with texts - which is a pity.

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on January 12, 2020, 09:54:47 PM. Why not include the texts of the chants is eluding me.

I think if we saw the P&L we'd be both surprised at how tight the budget needs to be to make a profit.

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on January 13, 2020, 12:38:54 AM
I think if we saw the P&L we'd be both surprised at how tight the budget needs to be to make a profit.

I believe you.  :)
But I pay for a physical product, that should offer the complete experience in order to have added value in comparison to a download.
And we are talking about 5-6 pages, which is 2 extra printed sheets in the booklet that is already included.
How many cents will leaving them out, actually save - on a 2nd or 3rd issue ?
So, I still don't get it. Just have a look at the artwork that small independent labels produce.

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on January 13, 2020, 08:35:29 AM
I believe you.  :)
But I pay for a physical product, that should offer the complete experience in order to have added value in comparison to a download.
And we are talking about 5-6 pages, which is 2 extra printed sheets in the booklet that is already included.
How many cents will leaving them out, actually save - on a 2nd or 3rd issue ?
So, I still don't get it. Just have a look at the artwork that small independent labels produce.

Q

It's maybe the copyrights on the translations which make the difference. And the way that Florestan reacted suggests that most people don't care. But anyway, I think you should write to Pérès and see what he says.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on January 13, 2020, 08:47:22 AM
It's maybe the copyrights on the translations which make the difference. And the way that Florestan reacted suggests that most people don't care. But anyway, I think you should write to Pérès and see what he says.

I doubt that he has any say in the matter.  :D

Q

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on January 13, 2020, 08:47:22 AM
It's maybe the copyrights on the translations which make the difference. And the way that Florestan reacted suggests that most people don't care.

The text of the Latin Mass and its English translation is public domain. My point was that Que must have heard by now hundreds of Masses, at which point he should know it by heart.  :)

Mandryka

Quote from: Florestan on January 14, 2020, 07:41:42 AM
The text of the Latin Mass and its English translation is public domain. My point was that Que must have heard by now hundreds of Masses, at which point he should know it by heart.  :)

Yes and no. 

Here's the tracklist from the CD in Que's image, and you'll see what I mean.

QuoteConduit monodique: «Beata viscera Marie Virginis» {Pérotin (fl. c1200)}
Conduit à quatre voix: «Deus misertus hominis» {Pérotin (fl. c1200)}
Introït: «Salve sancta parens» · Plain-chant
Kyrie à deux voix {Anonyme (fl. 13th cent.)}
Graduel à deux voix: «Benedicta et venerabilis» {Léonin (fl. c1163-1201)}
Alléluia à trois voix: «Nativitas gloriose virginis Marie» {Pérotin (fl. c1200)}
Offertoire: «Diffusa est gratia in labiis tuis» · Plain-chant
Préface · Plain-chant
Sanctus à deux voix: «Sanctorum exultatio» {Anonyme (fl. 13th cent.)}
Agnus Dei à deux voix: «Fons indeficiens pietatis» {Anonyme (fl. 13th cent.)}
Communion: «Beata viscera Marie virginis» · Plain-chant
Benedicamus Domino à deux voix {Léonin (fl. c1163-1201)}

The problem isn't the ordinaries, it's the propers. I expect they're all online apart from the Preface (track 8 ), and I expect they're easy to find. If it were me, I would find them on my ipad, I prefer the ipad to a booklet.

(I put it on as I was typing this, that Preface, and the sanctus just came up -- I nearly jumped out of my seat -- it's fucking marvellous music!)

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on January 14, 2020, 07:56:06 AM
Yes and no. 

Here's the tracklist from the CD in Que's image, and you'll see what I mean.

Yes, I see now. I thought the talk was about the ordinary Mass, hence my puzzlement. I stand corrected.