Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 02, 2020, 02:04:11 PM
I'm curious to discover a new part of Mozart's body of work, new to me, anyway. It would be nice to find a way in to Mozart's Violin Sonatas. I wonder what are some good recordings, either single CDs, whole sets, or whatever the case may be. I am not big on fortepianos, but what the hell? I kinda feel like giving the HIP Mozart thing another shot. For something completely different I'm also vaguely considering the Barenboim/Perlman set on DG:

Finally, I think I'm also going to get this:

... as I have none of the Mozart VCs in my library at this point.

Whichever set or disc of sonatas you buy, make sure to listen to K 378 and K 379 (my favourite). One I particularly like is this one (volume 2):

B0006ZWULQ

JBS

I'm curious to discover a new part of Mozart's body of work, new to me, anyway. It would be nice to find a way in to Mozart's Violin Sonatas. I wonder what are some good recordings, either single CDs, whole sets, or whatever the case may be. I am not big on fortepianos, but what the hell? I kinda feel like giving the HIP Mozart thing another shot. For something completely different I'm also vaguely considering the Barenboim/Perlman set on DG:

HIP Violin sonatas
Podger/Cooper for the whole shebang, Manze/Egarr if you want only a single CD
HIP keyboard works
Bart van Oort

Modern instrument versions...there are loads of each, to my ears most of the ones I've heard are equally good...and there are more than a few I haven't heard.

As for the violin concertos, I imprinted on Isaac Stern's complete set (which includes the rondos and Adagio found on the AAM set)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Que

For the violin sonatas, I concur with André on Breitman/Rivest, complete on two slim twofers.
Perlman is a waste of money, IMO. For Old School performances, there is better to be had.

Standage/Hogwood is not a waste of money, but for the concertos I'd recommend Zehetmair/ Brüggen, with Leertouwer a close second:

[asin]B001OMT66M[/asin]

Q

Jo498

For modern instruments consider Zimmermann/Lonquich on EMI. Or don't, it seems oop and expensive but it was the among the cheapest from French EMI and very good (+ a 5th disc with solo piano). For some very special interpretations (not complete) Kagan/Richter on EMI and Live Classics. For historical instruments Podger is very good and super complete; the box has minimal information but it was very cheap, IIRC.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Violin Sonatas, my top 3 in order:

To my ears simply the best set. Grand, bold, operatic and unabashedly romantic.

A tad more poised than Mutter/Orkis but still intensely passionate.

I assigned the 3rd place to Grumiaux /Haskil only because it's far from complete, otherwise it's a cracking performance.

Violin Concertos, my top 3 in no particular order:

Surprisingly poised, balanced, perfectly Classical performance from Mutter, nothing like her violin sonatas.

and the one I imprinted on:

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mandryka

Forget it, I just have to have it given who's performing and the nature of the music.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

André

I found out with some surprise that there's 6 different versions of the Requiem by Franz von Suppé, a composer well-known for his operettas - or at least their overtures, like The Light Cavalry and Poet and Peasant (tunes known even by children).

So, which one do GMGers recommend ?

I'm considering this one at the moment:

Opinions?

SonicMan46

Quote from: Florestan on March 03, 2020, 04:24:24 AM
Violin Sonatas, my top 3 in order:

Yep - that 'derriere' on Anne-Sophie has always attracted me but have not purchased the disc yet -  :laugh:  Dave

Mookalafalas

I've been avoiding this box for a long time. For no very good reason I've always sort of danced around Mozart. I play the last 10 symphonies fairly regularly, the piano concertos and sonatas, and a few choice other bits, but don't know most of his stuff, which I'd kind of like to remedy.
[asin]B00L2SQVVQ[/asin]

I have had the Brilliant Bach and Haydn for years, and love those.  However, looking at the WAM, it seems a bit dicey.  The Piano Concertos are all by Derek Han and Paul Freeman. Never heard of either. I have several versions of the symphonies already, but here they are all done by Jaap Ter Linden. I LIKE Jaap Ter Linden, but have never heard anything about his WAM, which makes me nervous. Similarly, Piet-Jan Belder does most of the sonatas. I have a lot of Belder in Bach. I've never associated him with Mozart at all, and frankly can't imagine what it would sound like.

By the way, I'm sort of leaning towards this cuz ther's a spectacular bargain on it from Amazon UK...
It's all good...

JBS

Quote from: Mookalafalas on March 11, 2020, 03:50:37 AM
I've been avoiding this box for a long time. For no very good reason I've always sort of danced around Mozart. I play the last 10 symphonies fairly regularly, the piano concertos and sonatas, and a few choice other bits, but don't know most of his stuff, which I'd kind of like to remedy.
[asin]B00L2SQVVQ[/asin]

I have had the Brilliant Bach and Haydn for years, and love those.  However, looking at the WAM, it seems a bit dicey.  The Piano Concertos are all by Derek Han and Paul Freeman. Never heard of either. I have several versions of the symphonies already, but here they are all done by Jaap Ter Linden. I LIKE Jaap Ter Linden, but have never heard anything about his WAM, which makes me nervous. Similarly, Piet-Jan Belder does most of the sonatas. I have a lot of Belder in Bach. I've never associated him with Mozart at all, and frankly can't imagine what it would sound like.

By the way, I'm sort of leaning towards this cuz ther's a spectacular bargain on it from Amazon UK...

I assumed the solo keyboard sets would be the Van Oort recordings!  Don't know Belder in Mozart.  I like his CPE Bach.
I have the Jaap ter Linden recordings in another Brilliant set, and I think they are excellent.   If you end up not getting this set, look for the symphonies as a separate item.  Amazon US has two separate listings for it.  Brilliant seems to have issued it at least twice. (Second link does work).
[asin]B0000BABAK[/asin][asin]B005QHJLSO[/asin]

SonicMan46

Heinichen, Johann David (1683-1729) - Galant Court Music w/ Paul Dombrecht & Il Fondamento - listening to my modest collection (just 4 CDs) of this Dresden composer w/ a Venetian flare to his composing instrumental works - just posted my comments in the listening thread and was considering adding a disc or two of more instrumental music (he wrote a LOT - see my link in the other thread, if interested) - the CD below piqued my interest (i.e. a group that I know and enjoy) - received a great review by Gio on Amazon (one of the few commenters there that I do respect) - HOWEVER, on Classical.net, the review was absolutely scathing w/ only 2* of 5* for performance & sound (see attachment)!  I just finished listening to this recording on Spotify and can only disagree vehemently - the comment that Paul Dombrecht's oboe is 'out of tune' is ridiculous - would enjoy any comments from others, especially if Heinichen fans who may have listened to this recording - thanks.  Dave :)

André

Paul Dombrecht and Il Fondamento are highly regarded (I have 2 discs, but not this one).

Also worthy of your consideration, Dave, are his masses. I was struck by how different they were (in sound, construction) from anything else from his time.

SonicMan46

Quote from: André on March 14, 2020, 04:56:59 PM
Paul Dombrecht and Il Fondamento are highly regarded (I have 2 discs, but not this one).

Also worthy of your consideration, Dave, are his masses. I was struck by how different they were (in sound, construction) from anything else from his time.

Hi André - thanks for your comments - I also have a number of Il Fondamento recordings and enjoy!  Just really surprised by the poor review, especially after listening to the performance on Spotify - would Paul Dombrecht really keep blowing an 'out of tune' oboe and would no one else notice?  ::)   Dave

Mookalafalas

Quote from: JBS on March 11, 2020, 07:30:45 AM
I assumed the solo keyboard sets would be the Van Oort recordings!  Don't know Belder in Mozart.  I like his CPE Bach.
I have the Jaap ter Linden recordings in another Brilliant set, and I think they are excellent.   If you end up not getting this set, look for the symphonies as a separate item.  Amazon US has two separate listings for it.  Brilliant seems to have issued it at least twice. (Second link does work).

Thanks for the feedback. It's appreciated.
It's all good...

T. D.

Trying to determine if this is a cost-effective way to pick up the 2nd Viennese School material. Not familiar with the Zemlinsky works.

MusicTurner

They are often highly regarded, but personally I would recommend comparing with other recordings before buying it, as regards the performances. Also, the sound does not tend to be that spacious, at least in the versions I've heard, but that can be a matter of taste, of course.

Mahlerian

Quote from: T. D. on April 06, 2020, 11:12:33 AM

Trying to determine if this is a cost-effective way to pick up the 2nd Viennese School material. Not familiar with the Zemlinsky works.

I don't dislike the LaSalle versions, but the best set I know is the Quatuor Diotima, if you can find it or don't mind buying digital:

It doesn't have Zemlinsky's Quartets, but it does have a number of early works by Schoenberg and Webern that aren't included in the other set.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

T. D.

Thanks. The Diotima looks excellent. But physical product seems impossible to find and I'm not set up for digital purchase (need to buy an external drive -not expensive- and some kind of DAC to play downloads through my stereo system -pricey and too complex to shop for right now-).
Will continue to look around. As an American of "a certain age", the LaSalle release has a definite appeal and I'm not too choosy when it comes to sound quality.

JBS

Quote from: T. D. on April 06, 2020, 02:07:51 PM
Thanks. The Diotima looks excellent. But physical product seems impossible to find and I'm not set up for digital purchase (need to buy an external drive -not expensive- and some kind of DAC to play downloads through my stereo system -pricey and too complex to shop for right now-).
Will continue to look around. As an American of "a certain age", the LaSalle release has a definite appeal and I'm not too choosy when it comes to sound quality.

If you decide you don't really want the Zemlinsky quartets, LaSalle's S/W/B is available as a set from Brilliant.

vers la flamme

I think I'm beginning to feel the tides of fate slowly pulling me back into a fairly serious Mahler kick... though it may be too soon to tell.  ;D

One thing is for certain, though, and it is that I have a newfound love for Mahler's 8th symphony, which until this point I would have always said "I just don't get it". In fact, one year ago today, I didn't even like Mahler, and that was partly because I'd heard the 8th symphony, and I just "didn't get it". Well, a lot of life can happen in one year, and my opinion on his music has taken an about-face.

Preamble over... I want to get my hands on Solti's famous recording of Mahler 8. Between the Decca "Legends" and the Decca "Originals", which is the CD edition to have? I suspect it may not become my favorite, but I want it anyway on account of how ubiquitous a performance it is in the world of Mahler.