Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 13, 2020, 02:39:35 AM
Mackerras has recorded a ton of Czech music. What is the connection there...? Is he just very fond of that repertoire?

he studied in Prague (I assume it was Prague!) and was introduced to Janacek amongst others so on his return he promoted this (relatively) unknown composer - hence his first recording of the Sinfonietta etc..

Todd

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 13, 2020, 03:03:47 AM
he studied in Prague (I assume it was Prague!) and was introduced to Janacek amongst others so on his return he promoted this (relatively) unknown composer - hence his first recording of the Sinfonietta etc..

Mackerras was born in 1925 and Janacek died in 1928.  Even if Mackerras was introduced to Janacek, which seems doubtful, what is the significance of that?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Madiel

He was introduced to the music of Janacek.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mandryka on July 14, 2020, 02:17:22 AM

Berberian singing Berio is always a winning combo. What's Segerstam doing there though? I'd expect this kind of repertoire to be outside of his wheelhouse, but perhaps I'm underestimating his versatility.

MusicTurner

Nice to see a younger Segerstam :).

He has recorded a lot of advanced contemporary music, including Nørgård, Danish and Finnish composers, Schnittke, Henze, Lutoslawski, Penderecki etc.

Jo498

Quote from: Mandryka on July 12, 2020, 01:47:04 PM

I have this but listened at most once and this was probably two years ago, so I cannot comment. I even have another recording of Rihm's Fremde Szene III in a box (Zurich trio)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 14, 2020, 02:33:54 AM
Berberian singing Berio is always a winning combo. What's Segerstam doing there though? I'd expect this kind of repertoire to be outside of his wheelhouse, but perhaps I'm underestimating his versatility.

The real question for me is whether I like Epifanie enough to spend a tenner on the CD -- there are lots of recordings of Coro, including one with the composer at the helm. The Orfeo CD is on youtube.

Mandryka

Quote from: Jo498 on July 14, 2020, 02:52:31 AM
I have this but listened at most once and this was probably two years ago, so I cannot comment. I even have another recording of Rihm's Fremde Szene III in a box (Zurich trio)

Yes -- one reason for this is that it has a recording of Fremde Szene II. Anyway it's cheap enough so I ordered it.

Jo498

I do remember that I generally liked it and I also liked another mixed recital disc on Ars Musici with the Trio Jean Paul (I think they have since then also done the complete Schubert trios but of course there is not really a dearth of the latter compared to Rihm or even compared to Schumann.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

prémont

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 14, 2020, 02:33:54 AM

He is very versatile. He has even recorded Bach's concerto for two violins BWV 1043 playing first violin with Okku Kamu playing second violin.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

vers la flamme

Regarding Berio... I do not have a recording of Sinfonia, an egregious omission I will soon rectify. I think I'm torn between three relatively recent recordings...:

Thoughts on these...?

Daverz

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 16, 2020, 04:32:37 PM
Regarding Berio... I do not have a recording of Sinfonia, an egregious omission I will soon rectify. I think I'm torn between three relatively recent recordings...:

Thoughts on these...?

I know that Hurwitz is officially an ass on GMG, but I think he is a fairly reliable guide in music he is enthusiastic about:

https://www.youtube.com/v/fg41iLBEdAo

vers la flamme

Quote from: Daverz on July 16, 2020, 05:48:53 PM
I know that Hurwitz is officially an ass on GMG, but I think he is a fairly reliable guide in music he is enthusiastic about:

https://www.youtube.com/v/fg41iLBEdAo

Sorry, Daverz, but he's an ass to me too. I can't bear his smug face or his voice. Do you have a bullet-point summary of this video?  ;D

Daverz

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 16, 2020, 05:54:12 PM
Sorry, Daverz, but he's an ass to me too. I can't bear his smug face or his voice. Do you have a bullet-point summary of this video?  ;D

If you click on the '...', you can get a transcript.  His top choice is Chailly.

[asin] B00000E45Y[/asin]

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/search?search_query=chailly%20berio

Brian

T. D.

I have an old Sinfonia with Boulez and Swingle Singers, and am not in the market for another recording (love the piece, but rarely go for multiples).
Of the ones you're considering, I'd prefer the Ondine due to the couplings.
FWIW, Hurwitz reviews the Ondine here: https://www.classicstoday.com/review/berios-sinfonia-becomes-basic-rep-ondine/
and considers the Chailly mentioned above the "Reference".
Disclaimer: I pay little heed to DH's reviews, especially in the modern / contemporary sector. Not just DH; I've never cared much for CT's treatment of modern music. I do consult CT now and then for standard repertory, opera and some early music.

Mandryka

Mahlerian

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 16, 2020, 04:32:37 PM

Thoughts on these...?

I have a few versions of Sinfonia, but none of those three. I do like this relatively recent one from Eotvos:
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

vers la flamme

I pulled the trigger on Morlot/Seattle because I like the pairings best. I've been wanting to get a recording of the orchestrated Boulez Notations. We'll see what I think... I do want to explore Berio's work further. He was a great composer.