Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: JBS on July 26, 2020, 04:02:43 PM
CDs come in cardboard sleeves, the front has the image of Strauss that appears on the box, the back has the track listing of the individual CD.
The booklet has a 6 page essay devoted mainly to the musicography behind the project, a complete track listing, and two indexes that list the CD number and individual track number of each work, one by the work's name, the other by its opus number.
Thanks!

André

To be issued later this month, a 1989 recording from the Munich Philharmonic's archives. I'm curious...

Brian

Timings on that:

15:13
6:48
20:43
5:38
11:29

You can tell he doesn't observe repeats!

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 13, 2019, 01:24:10 PM
One of my favorite songs: Delahaye: Mort j'appelle de ta rigeur is on this CD, sung by Raphaël Boulay (known from Diabolus in Musica). He sings it reasonably expressively and the rest of the CD I would call nice and pleasant. I haven't listened to it since long, first and foremost because I have too much else to listen to.

Also on this CD (I prefer Boulay)

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on August 03, 2020, 01:19:44 PM
Also on this CD (I prefer Boulay)

So do I. But still I tend to enjoy Bonnardot's recordings.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

vers la flamme

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 04, 2020, 02:27:05 AM

Don't know which one to get...
The Segerstam, you then let me have the files.

T. D.

Can't comment on the Berio, I only have (on an old CDR) the performance that's on the DG.

Looking through Berkshire's inventory, this got my attention (cond. Schwarz, some David Diamond included, contents below pic). Any thoughts appreciated.

Copland: Lincoln Portrait; Fanfare for the Common Man; Outdoor Overture; Canticle of Freedom
Hovhaness: Mysterious Mountain; And God Created Great Whales; Prayer of St. Gregory; Celestial Fantasy; Alleluia and Fugue; Prelude and Quadruple Fugue
Hanson: Symphonies 2, 4, 6, 7; Serenade for Flute, Harp & Strings; Serenade for Oboe, Harp & Strings; Elegy in Memory of Koussevitzky; Fantasy Variations on a Theme of Youth; Mosaics; Piano Concerto
Diamond: Romeo & Juliet; Concerto for Small Orchestra
Creston: Choreografic Suite
Piston: Serenata; Sinfonietta
Harris: American Creed; When Johnny Comes Marching Home

vandermolen

Quote from: T. D. on August 05, 2020, 05:05:30 PM
Can't comment on the Berio, I only have (on an old CDR) the performance that's on the DG.

Looking through Berkshire's inventory, this got my attention (cond. Schwarz, some David Diamond included, contents below pic). Any thoughts appreciated.

Copland: Lincoln Portrait; Fanfare for the Common Man; Outdoor Overture; Canticle of Freedom
Hovhaness: Mysterious Mountain; And God Created Great Whales; Prayer of St. Gregory; Celestial Fantasy; Alleluia and Fugue; Prelude and Quadruple Fugue
Hanson: Symphonies 2, 4, 6, 7; Serenade for Flute, Harp & Strings; Serenade for Oboe, Harp & Strings; Elegy in Memory of Koussevitzky; Fantasy Variations on a Theme of Youth; Mosaics; Piano Concerto
Diamond: Romeo & Juliet; Concerto for Small Orchestra
Creston: Choreografic Suite
Piston: Serenata; Sinfonietta
Harris: American Creed; When Johnny Comes Marching Home
Looks like a great set. A pity that there are no Diamond symphonies included and that Hanson's Third Symphony (my favourite) is also absent. However, speaking personally I wouldn't hesitate. Diamond's 'Romeo and Juliet' is a lovely, lyrical score but there is much else to enjoy there.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

The Hovhaness whales piece is essential IMHO, but can be had in various combinations.

JBS

Quote from: vandermolen on August 05, 2020, 10:30:10 PM
Looks like a great set. A pity that there are no Diamond symphonies included and that Hanson's Third Symphony (my favourite) is also absent. However, speaking personally I wouldn't hesitate. Diamond's 'Romeo and Juliet' is a lovely, lyrical score but there is much else to enjoy there.

A good many of Schwarz's recordings have been reissued on Naxos including the Hanson and Diamond cycles.  This is the Amazon link for Hanson's Third.
[asin]B005OZDY22[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vers la flamme

Mandryka

Mandryka

Todd

$10 at Qobuz.  I don't need another complete set of Piano Trios.  Or do I?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Can anyone tell me if the booklet in this is interesting and substantial? I already have access to the music.

vers la flamme

Considering this. Anyone else have it?

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 21, 2020, 02:30:23 AM

Considering this. Anyone else have it?

I have a rip of the quartet on that CD, the Berner Quartet playing his first (1973) quartet, and it's the only recording of the music commercially made. The music is stimulating, explosive,  in a Lachenmann kind of way. I haven't heard the other tracks as far as I recall.

Brian

I guess this is a general "how do people like Perlman?" question. I only own three of his albums - RCA Lalo/Ravel, Decca Franck/Brahms with Ashkenazy, and DG Elgar concerto - although I have heard others streaming and have seen him live at least twice. My impression is that his big romantic heart-on-sleeve style is way more to my liking than Heifetz (say), but that he is often "heavy" and does not differentiate very much dynamically - it generally seems like 90% of his phrases are played at the same volume - so he's never been a favorite of mine. But the guy is a legend, so I guess it's worth asking.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on August 22, 2020, 10:31:26 AM

I guess this is a general "how do people like Perlman?" question.

What's the current asking price?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya